SS Future Re-Open Plan: Timing, Testing Needs??!!

TLCOhio

7 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

That one picture is not of a "toothy alligator'.  It is a crocodile!!  They look similar, but there are big differences.  Crocodiles are salt-water creatures that hang out in the Keys, etc.  Alligators are fresh-watch animals that are found inland

I appreciate the correction.  I know better than what I posted.  I didn't consider where your ecco tour really was when I wrote my post.  

Terry, do you really need to return to Ohio on Friday?  Based on the weather we are receiving as I type this (the heaviest snowfall all day and, I suspect, ice under the snow)--and Columbus seems to be getting the same--another couple of days in Florida is what I would recommend if you could do so.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Terry, do you really need to return to Ohio on Friday?  Based on the weather we are receiving as I type this (the heaviest snowfall all day and, I suspect, ice under the snow)--and Columbus seems to be getting the same--another couple of days in Florida is what I would recommend if you could do so.  

YES!!!  The super strong message that I received from those suffering in Central Ohio was . . . stay in Florida, it's terrible weather in the Midwest.  We adjusted our flights, etc., to schedule coming back on Monday afternoon, not today.  We are staying an extra day in the Keys and then doing two days in Miami.  Got a good rate and am staying at the Ritz-Carlton in Coconut Grove.  Looking forward to driving our convertible around in the Miami area, seeing some sights, tasting great food, plus enjoy ing weather that will be up to 80F.  Much better than being back in Ohio battling the snow and ice. Experienced South Florida resident Spins/Candy has given me some tips.  Other key suggestion for the Miami area? 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 235,056 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Other key suggestion for the Miami area? 

In Fort Lauderdale, there is an upscale Italian restaurant called Casa D'Angelo that is excellent.  I suggest that you check their menu on their website to see if it might be satisfactory for you.  It's a restaurant where a jacket (with or without a tie) is appropriate attire.   

22 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning Terry, this is something you might be interested in..........Vizcaya Museum and Gardens.

https://vizcaya.org/

Great suggestion by Lois.  We had visited Vizcaya several decades back and it was on my list of potential options before your excellent tip.   Yes, to our SW Ohio friend, Casa D'Angelo sounds wonderful, but not sure that the Fort Lauderdale location will work with our logistics between now and our Monday afternoon flight back to Columbus.  

Other key suggestions and tips for Miami and the Coconut Grove area? Getting ready to leave the Islamorada/Keys area this morning.  Not on a cruise, but this is working out well as a substitute.  Am debating between doing a Cuban-area food/culture tour versus something similar in Miami Beach.  Reactions?

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 94,193 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

To update and lessen Lois of any worries, we have not made it, yet, to the Vizcaya Museum and Gardens.  Traffic in and around Miami is challenging.  My wife wanted to "chill out" (no pun intended), so we are stuck at our hotel.  I am suffering at pool side on my laptop with the sunny skies and palm trees.  Need evidence?  See below.  

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 69,373 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Here is the pool area at the Coconut Grove Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Miami. Two nights here and then back home Monday afternoon. Are we suffering?  Would we prefer to be back in cold Columbus? .:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this visual larger/better!)

IMG_6515.thumb.JPG.ed4ae74fb306f2170479601992f4db56.JPG

• Like 1

From the London/UK Daily Mail this morning, they had this headline: Rogue cruise ships Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity are SEIZED by authorities in Bahamas after diverting to the islands to avoid US warrant over $4.6M in unpaid fuel bills with these highlights:Two Crystal Cruises ships that were diverted to the Bahamas with hundreds of passengers aboard have been seized in relation to a US warrant over at least $4.6 million in unpaid fuel bills.  The Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity were commandeered by authorities in waters near Freeport, Bahamas on Friday night, crew members on both ships told Cruise Law News. Both ships had disembarked all passengers at the time of the seizure.  The cruise ships were being sought by US Marshals on a federal arrest warrant issued last month, after Crystal Cruises parent company Genting Hong Kong filed to wind up its business and a key fuel supplier sought to recoup unpaid bills.  The cruise line suspended operations through at least April, and the two ships diverted to the Bahamas to evade seizure, infuriating passengers who had expected to end their cruises in Miami or California, and cutting short one of the cruises by months.  It was not immediately clear how the ships were seized in the Bahamas, which is outside the jurisdiction of the US Marshals. Separately, the Crystal Endeavor is also under arrest in Ushuaia, Argentina, according to Cruise Law News.

These problems with Crystal became known several months back, but many of their very loyal customers wished and hoped that things would be fine.  Sorry!!  It has not been a happy ending as nobody wants to loan them any more money, nor buy their stock that is down to only worth pennies.  Sad!!  Especially for the crew and those who have them deposits and advanced payments.  

Full story at:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10479965/Rogue-cruise-ships-Crystal-Symphony-Crystal-Serenity-SEIZED-Bahamas.html

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 52,295 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

From the London/UK Daily Mail this morning, they had this headline: Rogue cruise ships Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity are SEIZED by authorities in Bahamas after diverting to the islands to avoid US warrant over $4.6M in unpaid fuel bills with these highlights:Two Crystal Cruises ships that were diverted to the Bahamas with hundreds of passengers aboard have been seized in relation to a US warrant over at least $4.6 million in unpaid fuel bills.  The Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity were commandeered by authorities in waters near Freeport, Bahamas on Friday night, crew members on both ships told Cruise Law News. Both ships had disembarked all passengers at the time of the seizure.  The cruise ships were being sought by US Marshals on a federal arrest warrant issued last month, after Crystal Cruises parent company Genting Hong Kong filed to wind up its business and a key fuel supplier sought to recoup unpaid bills.  The cruise line suspended operations through at least April, and the two ships diverted to the Bahamas to evade seizure, infuriating passengers who had expected to end their cruises in Miami or California, and cutting short one of the cruises by months.  It was not immediately clear how the ships were seized in the Bahamas, which is outside the jurisdiction of the US Marshals. Separately, the Crystal Endeavor is also under arrest in Ushuaia, Argentina, according to Cruise Law News.

These problems with Crystal became known several months back, but many of their very loyal customers wished and hoped that things would be fine.  Sorry!!  It has not been a happy ending as nobody wants to loan them any more money, nor buy their stock that is down to only worth pennies.  Sad!!  Especially for the crew and those who have them deposits and advanced payments.  

Full story at:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10479965/Rogue-cruise-ships-Crystal-Symphony-Crystal-Serenity-SEIZED-Bahamas.html

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 52,295 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

Because I had close friends on the WC Serenity, I have been following what is happening. After all of the issues that are going on at Crystal, the Crystal Cheerleaders" are still out in force. They may have to switch to another team soon as Cheerleading in an empty stadium might get boring!!

30 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Full story at:

IMHO there's a moral somewhere in this story and it seems to be think very, very carefully before leaving your money with a cruise line in the form of a FCC during a pandemic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Silver Spectre said:

IMHO there's a moral somewhere in this story and it seems to be think very, very carefully before leaving your money with a cruise line in the form of a FCC during a pandemic.

Passengers on Crystal are going to lose millions!!! You can bank on that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

To update and lessen Lois of any worries, we have not made it, yet, to the Vizcaya Museum and Gardens.  Traffic in and around Miami is challenging.  My wife wanted to "chill out" (no pun intended), so we are stuck at our hotel.  I am suffering at pool side on my laptop with the sunny skies and palm trees.  Need evidence?  See below.  

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 69,373 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Here is the pool area at the Coconut Grove Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Miami. Two nights here and then back home Monday afternoon. Are we suffering?  Would we prefer to be back in cold Columbus? .:

IMG_6515.thumb.JPG.ed4ae74fb306f2170479601992f4db56.JPG

Hey Terry, I am not worried.........not sure where that thought came from. It was just a suggestion.....if you want to go, great, if not, that is ok too. But worried?

Nothing to be worried about. 

3 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Traffic in and around Miami is challenging

You are being kind with your comment.  One needs to be certain that one's life insurance is fully paid before driving on I-95 in Miami.  I have done so.  I will never do so again.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

You are being kind with your comment.  One needs to be certain that one's life insurance is fully paid before driving on I-95 in Miami.  I have done so.  I will never do so again.  

I don't like 95 anywhere.........if I can use other roads, I will do it before I get on I-95.

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

I don't like 95 anywhere.........if I can use other roads, I will do it before I get on I-95.

The biggest challenge on I-95 in Florida is getting over the Jacksonville St. John's and other river bridges 🙂--even scarier than I-95 in Miami, although admittedly it can be quite challenging here, especially in the evening.

34 minutes ago, taxatty said:

The biggest challenge on I-95 in Florida is getting over the Jacksonville St. John's and other river bridges 🙂--even scarier than I-95 in Miami, although admittedly it can be quite challenging here, especially in the evening.

I know the area well.......have lived here since 1965😲 Challenging is a good word for it!

On 2/4/2022 at 10:28 PM, Lois R said:

Good morning Terry, this is something you might be interested in..........Vizcaya Museum and Gardens.

https://vizcaya.org/

Lois, if Terry had decided on risking the traffic I would heartily agree with your suggestion of Vizcaya Museum. The Gardens and the mansion including the history was something I really enjoyed a few years ago. In fact my husband didn't go with me because he was feeling unwell, but if we get to Miami in 2023 I would definitely like to take him there to see it.

16 hours ago, A Tucson Guy said:

Because I had close friends on the WC Serenity, I have been following what is happening. After all of the issues that are going on at Crystal, the Crystal Cheerleaders" are still out in force. They may have to switch to another team soon as Cheerleading in an empty stadium might get boring!!

1 hour ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Sad, but true as summarized by A Tucson Guy on this story.  What be interested as to any and all added details as to how these circumstances have evolved and played out.  

From the New York Post this morning, it is their top story on their website with a rather punchy headline.  See below.  Their lead sentence is:A luxury cruise ship operator is underwater — and left passengers high and dry.

That is a writing style not on the "subtle" or shy side. But, true!!  Agree  there will be passengers losing lots and lots on advanced deposits and payments.  But, YES, certain "Crystal Cheerleaders" are still not facing reality and hope for a return to service soon.   Very sad for the crew members who might be stuck getting home, etc.  Interesting story where the "final chapter" has not yet been written. And will any other cruise lines face any such circumstances?

Full story at:

https://nypost.com

Kotor/Montenegro:  Exciting visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this scenic, historic location. Over 48,876 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

On that NY Post website, here is the graphic for their lead story.  As always, this newspaper has a unique way to summarize situations in a just a few words.  Sad!.:

196374594_ScreenShot2022-02-06at7_49_12AM.thumb.png.e0b98ed2faff8c7390292c881f49b86e.png

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Mid-day Monday, we will be driving I-95 from the Coconut Grove area of Miami up to the Fort Lauderdale airport.  We drove down this route earlier.  It is not easy or pretty, but hopefully, we will survive.  Yes, I-95 has lots of congested and challenging segments.  

Doing a Little Havana Food and Cultural Tour today.  Hope to get an interesting picture or two.  Plus, some tasty treats. Still hoping later in the afternoon to make it to the Vizcaya Museum.  Will keep folks posted.  

Dubrovnik!  Nice visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this super scenic and historic location. Over 48,443 views.    

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Georgiagirl1204 said:

New to Silversea with first adventure in September, but wanted to chime in with this comment. If you haven't been already, Joe's Stone Crab is a must!  Their address is 11 Washington Ave, Miami Beach.  Their stone crab and key lime pie are the best I've ever had!! 
Enjoy!!

If you can get in!!

46 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

If you can get in!!

tried to get in 1989 on our first visit to Miami after it being mentioned in the program the golden girls !! ( Big hit here in the UK ) ... But no luck ..so went to paparazzi on ocean drive ... Amazing time ...  Then next day boarded the sovereign of the seas back in the days when it was very civilised !!! ( Not a short or flip flops to been seen after 6pm !!!😉

3 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

From the New York Post this morning, it is their top story on their website with a rather punchy headline.  See below.  Their lead sentence is:A luxury cruise ship operator is underwater — and left passengers high and dry.

That is a writing style not on the "subtle" or shy side. But, true!!  Agree  there will be passengers losing lots and lots on advanced deposits and payments.  But, YES, certain "Crystal Cheerleaders" are still not facing reality and hope for a return to service soon.   Very sad for the crew members who might be stuck getting home, etc.  Interesting story where the "final chapter" has not yet been written. And will any other cruise lines face any such circumstances?

Full story at:

https://nypost.com

One of my favorite NYPOST front pages was when Baron Trump was born 

The Headline

"You're Sired"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, A Tucson Guy said:

If you can get in!!

Things have changed at Joe's. You can often easily get a table at lunch--just go early and park across the street. Unlike in the past, you can even make reservations--again, easiest at lunchtime.