SS Future Re-Open Plan: Timing, Testing Needs??!!

TLCOhio

20 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

My reactions and question?  What does "backstop their venture" mean?  My strong guess/suggestion is that the CDC continues to have serious and important questions.  The cruise lines' spin and hopes will not be assumed as the perfect and/or ultimate plan.  As parts of the U.S. and world are seeing a "second wave" of Covid-19 cases and deaths, a quick, full re-start in December is doubtful.  Right or wrong?

I too wonder about exactly what does “backstop their venture” mean.   Personally I have thought the proposed measures, procedures, and policies are front loaded and aimed at prevention screening passengers and crew before boarding then are focused on things like sanitation, social distancing, masks, etc., to prevent, reduce, or contain potential onboard outbreaks.   Whether I like those steps or not or whether I would cruise under those circumstances is irrelevant.  They are what they are and at least the cruise lines are trying to get back to business.   What I find lacking, and I wonder if this is the “backstop”, are the lines plans in the case of a major outbreak on a ship.   What is their ability to care for patients, what are their plans to repatriate passengers and crew in the case of an outbreak,  how are they planning their itineraries and destinations in light of a worse case scenario, what if they get barred from docking, etc.   Has to be something better than “Every man for themselves and God for us all.”   

Realizing this isn’t going to be very popular with the hardcore cruisers here and over on Facebook but I seriously doubt we are going to see a quick, full restart of cruising any time soon and certainly not this year.   My biggest concerns are that we have no vaccine and we don’t have a medication or set of medications to treat the multiple symptoms of this virus.  In light of what appears to be a spike in cases worldwide the light a the end of the tunnel in terms of containment and treatment is not there.   We simply are not on the other side of this pandemic yet.   Now does that mean there won’t be some cruising?  Probably not but a lot of people want their TA or South America or whatever cruise to go forward and some if not many are going to be disappointed.  Don’t get me wrong.   The world will get through this eventually but it’s the when that’s the long pole in the tent.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

I too wonder about exactly what does “backstop their venture” mean.   Personally I have thought the proposed measures, procedures, and policies are front loaded and aimed at prevention screening passengers and crew before boarding then are focused on things like sanitation, social distancing, masks, etc., to prevent, reduce, or contain potential onboard outbreaks.    What I find lacking, and I wonder if this is the “backstop”, are the lines plans in the case of a major outbreak on a ship.   What is their ability to care for patients, what are their plans to repatriate passengers and crew in the case of an outbreak,  how are they planning their itineraries and destinations in light of a worse case scenario, what if they get barred from docking, etc.  Don’t get me wrong.   The world will get through this eventually but it’s the when that’s the long pole in the tent.

Very good comments and follow-ups fro Stumblefoot and Randy. Excellent guess as to the meaning of “backstop their venture” for being connected with what happens for the "IF" of an outbreak during a cruising.  Any other guesses, suggestions, ideas??  

From the Wall Street Journal within the last 90 minutes this morning, they had this headline: “Today’s Travel Bookings May Be More Fiction Than Fact with this sub-head: "Bookings are improving across the travel sector, but investors shouldn’t assume demand will translate to dollars"

Here are some of the highlights from this writer: “Future bookings are beginning to recover, buoying shares of some travel and leisure companies. But investors should ask themselves just how much of that is fantasy money versus real future revenue on which they can hang their hats.   Cruise operator Carnival said Thursday that bookings for the second half of next year are at the higher end of its historical ranges. At this stage of the coronavirus pandemic, that is 'a compelling indication of the fundamental strength in demand' for its brand, according to Carnival.  But demand won’t always translate to revenue. Industrywide, relaxed change and cancellation policies are enabling cooped-up consumers desperate for an escape to plan a far-off vacation with little to no financial risk, giving them something to look forward to, even if they decide to call it off at the last minute.  Airlines have broadly done away with change fees, many through the end of the year, and others for the foreseeable future. Hotels have done much of the same, some even offering no fee cancellations.  Cruise lines have had to offer some of the most compelling incentives for travelers to book trips after having been shut down for most of the year. Royal Caribbean, for example, is offering its customers a 125% future credit for a cruise that is booked but then canceled because of future global sailing suspensions. A continuing survey by cruise-review site Cruise Critic found that, as of July 1, most cruise lines were offering credits of at least that value, with some adding extras such as future onboard credits. The message to consumers is: We are essentially prepared to pay you for the risk of booking a future cruise today.  For those who miss their annual travel fix, that kind of offer is difficult to turn down. Cruise Critic’s survey found that many who have chosen future cruise credits haven’t rebooked. The survey found that 48% still were deciding whether to book another cruise, while 30% planned to book another cruise, but haven’t done so yet.  Industrywide, even if all passengers choose to rebook rather than cancel their travel plans, it is important to note that potential revenue could still decline.”

Here is more in conclusion from this writer: "Through some cruise operators, travelers can conceivably book a cruise today for late next year only to later move that cruise or have it postponed for one even later in 2022. American Airlines Group President Robert Isom had it right when he said in September that, while bookings are gradually improving for his business, 'it’s still too soon to tell' whether that is sustainable. It will be a long time before booked trips reliably set sail."

Interesting background and questions??!!  "Pent-up demand" is a a key part of the re-open "mystery" for the cruise lines and their long-term finances.  Maybe it mean something significant?  Maybe not?

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/todays-travel-bookings-may-be-more-fiction-than-fact-11602421200

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Athens & Greece: Many visuals, details from two visits in a city with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 36,524 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

I too wonder about exactly what does “backstop their venture” mean ...   

Realizing this isn’t going to be very popular with the hardcore cruisers here ...

The world will get through this eventually but it’s the when that’s the long pole in the tent.

Randy,

How I hate to agree. Your comments are a needed dose of reality for hardcore cruisers, and I for one welcome the occasional “splash of cold water”.

I’d love to be cruising, but not with the myriad of issues swirling around. I don’t think so, not smart, period. The real questions right now revolve around re-planning once again, cruise plans everyone has probably shifted several times before.

So, considering all the incentives the airlines, hotels, and cruise lines are offering, is it smart to keep pushing back cruise holidays, or is it better to just push them off the table for now? And if the answer to the last question is yes, where will folks holiday to replace cruise vacations? Especially the ones we’re all missing right now?

Doc Ruth

• Thanks 1

We rebooked for 2021 with our 2020 FCC. I am beginning to regret this now, but when I email to my TA she insists that the SS Alaska cruise is still on their website so will run. I am so not sure what will happen if there is still no immigration (for UK at least) to Canada to start the cruise? Any advice from you all? Am I the only person who did this?

39 minutes ago, worldtraveller99 said:

We rebooked for 2021 with our 2020 FCC. I am beginning to regret this now, but when I email to my TA she insists that the SS Alaska cruise is still on their website so will run. I am so not sure what will happen if there is still no immigration (for UK at least) to Canada to start the cruise? Any advice from you all? Am I the only person who did this?

I find it almost comical that any TA would say that because a cruise is still on a website that it means it will happen.   More honest would be something like it’s still planned but we’ll have to monitor.  The last seven months or so are paved with cancelled cruises that were once on a line’s website up until as little as two weeks before the scheduled sailing.   Critical point for next year’s Alaska season is whether or not Canada opens its ports.  No Canadian ports means no US, or obviously no Canadian, based cruises next year.   

Edited by Randyk47

11 minutes ago, worldtraveller99 said:

While I do not know your TA in the UK personally and/or professionally, it is clear that many TA's have a "conflict of interest".  Of course, they are going to tell you to keep that booking (with the associated commission for the TA).  BUT, the TA is only guessing and hoping as to whether . . . or not . . . that SS Alaska cruise will happen next summer.    

To be honest, there are two very big "UNKNOWNS".  First, how long will this shut-down last and be slow to allow a re-opening?  Second, how long can the "cash float" last for the cruise lines before your deposits and payments (in their hands and accounts) last before they suffer a serious financial failiure?  It is kind of "YOUR" money now, but for how long??  Personally, I do like the cruise lines having control of "MY MONEY".  That's me!!  I am not a big "gambler", especially if significant money is at risk.  

From CBS-TV "Face the Nation" program this morning,, they had as one of their featured guest, Dr. Scott Gottlieb, a former FDA Commissioner and one of the key "experts" hired by two of the cruise lines to come up their plan for health and safety when cruising resumes.  During this morning TV show, Dr. Gottlieb was very blunt and clear that we are experiencing a re-start to infections in many parts of the U.S. and around the world.  He was clearly not optimistic that this virus is licked and behind us.  I appreciated his honesty and scientific detailing of these issues during this morning news program.  He was not just "spinning" B.S. and sales hype!!

Earlier this past week during a CNBC business news interview,  they had this headline: “Dr. Scott Gottlieb: Antibody drugs may be helpful virus treatments, but won’t end U.S. epidemic with these highlights: “Dr. Scott Gottlieb told CNBC on Friday that antibody drugs are likely to be important treatments for the coronavirus, but he cautioned against considering them a panacea for the nation’s Covid-19 outbreak.  The former U.S. Food and Drug Administration commissioner said the lack of supply means not every person who becomes diagnosed with the coronavirus will be able to receive an antibody treatment — should the FDA grant emergency use authorization to the two companies that recently applied.  'I think these drugs will make a meaningful difference for people who are the highest risk of having a bad outcome,' Gottlieb said on 'Closing Bell.'  'But this is not going to end the epidemic. This is not going to be widely available to everyone,” he added. Priority would probably be given to Covid-19 patients who are over the age of 65, given they are more likely to become severely ill or die, according to Gottlieb. People who have significant underlying medical conditions also would be higher on the list of patients to receive an antibody treatment, he said.  Although he cautioned the datasets are still limited, Gottlieb stressed he believes the antibody drugs are likely to provide a benefit for Covid-19 patients. But, he said, the U.S. missed an opportunity to ramp up manufacturing in the spring to ensure there are widespread doses available as the drugs come onto the market.  Antibody drugs are difficult to manufacture, and both Regeneron and Eli Lilly teamed up with rival companies to help produce them.”

Both this CNBC story and his CBS-TV interview provided a healthy "DOSE OF REALITY" that this situation will be going on and on longer than many might hope and desire.  

Next summer in Alaska?  Maybe?  Maybe not?  Excellent and true factor by Randy about: "Critical point for next year’s Alaska season is whether or not Canada opens its ports."

Full story at:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/09/dr-scott-gottlieb-coronavirus-antibody-drugs-wont-end-us-epidemic.html

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 31,131 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

From that CBS-TV interview this morning mentioned above, here is more.  They had this headline: “Gottlieb predicts 'a lot of death and disease' as COVID cases rise” with these highlights: “The former FDA commissioner says the U.S. is 'in a difficult situation heading into the fall' as the virus surges in parts of the country.”  Dr. Gottlieb noted that the hospitalization rates are a key factor to monitor closely.  As noted previously, his insights and comments are very significant, in my opinion.  And, he is one of the two top advisors to the cruise lines, including for Silversea owner, RCCL.  

You can see his full, nearly seven minute CBS-TV video clip at:

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/gottlieb-predicts-a-lot-of-death-and-disease-as-covid-cases-rise/

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 30,142 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

Randyk47

"What I find lacking, and I wonder if this is the “backstop”, are the lines plans in the case of a major outbreak on a ship.   What is their ability to care for patients, what are their plans to repatriate passengers and crew in the case of an outbreak,  how are they planning their itineraries and destinations in light of a worse case scenario, what if they get barred from docking, etc.   Has to be something better than “Every man for themselves and God for us all.”   

I think the exactly the same thing. 

I really think a vaccine ( with a vaccine card) is the only way mass cruising will resume.  The logistics of getting crew from around the world, to hundreds of ships, and passengers to places around the world, and countries "opening" to tourists. And medically what ships/countries do with patients who contract it while on the ship or a foreign country.... Not a chance. World economies cannot handle it.  And the cruislines subjecting themselves to ( more) bad press should and outbreak occur. 

Then, keep this in mind.  Reading about if/when a vaccine is found to be effective and safe, the order that those get immunized with a limited amount of the vaccine.  I've read, it goes like this:  1. Frontline medical workers.  2.  Those in long-term-care facilities ( not going to cruise) 3.  Those in prisons/jail ( not going to cruise). 4.  Over 65's ( how many will take the vaccine if 30-50% of regular population say they will not get it).  Then the general population. It will take many, many months.  Means multi-generational families might not be able to cruise, if Grammy can get the vaccine, but not the adult children ( or decide not to). 

I don't see any cruiseline coming back with having to bank on this tiny percentage of the population ( the +65's who will or can) get the vaccine. Until it rolls out to the general population 2nd or 3rd qtr 2021, on a good day.

My 2 cents.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, kimanjo said:

I really think a vaccine ( with a vaccine card) is the only way mass cruising will resume.  The logistics of getting crew from around the world, to hundreds of ships, and passengers to places around the world, and countries "opening" to tourists. And medically what ships/countries do with patients who contract it while on the ship or a foreign country.... Not a chance. World economies cannot handle it.  I don't see any cruiseline coming back with having to bank on this tiny percentage of the population ( the +65's who will or can) get the vaccine. Until it rolls out to the general population 2nd or 3rd qtr 2021, on a good day.   My 2 cents.

Appreciate these above excellent comments from our wise South Florida friend.  Smart and savvy mention about a "vaccine card" as a potential path forward.  Great follow-up from worldtraveller99.  Good luck with your efforts.  Keep us posted as to how things progress.   Or, not?

From a trade publication cited below yesterday, they had this headline: “What It’s Like To Cruise With Costa During The Pandemic” with these highlights: “Costa Cruises was back in action on Sept. 6 as the Deliziosa sailed from Trieste on a new week-long program for Italian guests heading to Italian ports.  New health and safety measures meant a new look onboard for the cruise experience as Costa hopes to slowly ramp up operations in Europe this fall and into the winter.”

Here are only a few of the many highlights cited in their reporting as a preview for what the "future" of cruising might be:  "Guests check in online prior to arrival, certify that they have no flu-like symptoms or other health issues. Each passenger assigned a specific boarding time.  Before boarding, all guests undertake a coronavirus swab test, the results of which take one hour to appear.  Masks are mandatory in all group spaces (apart from restaurant and bar tables, sunbeds, and outside decks) unless social distancing is possible;  A renovated air conditioning system is in place, so that air doesn’t recirculate;  Smaller venues have a sign displaying how many people are allowed inside, elevators allow up to four people.  The reception operates on an appointment basis; Improved health services available, free for anyone who develops flu-like symptoms, or requires additional testing or health checks. Games that require physical contact are not allowed, but new games that rely on technology or can be enjoyed at distance from each other are introduced in their place;  No gala evenings or cocktail events, nightclubs are closed;  Live music venues and casinos operate normally;  Theater performances allowed but with only part of the seats occupied, solo performances on stage instead of group ones;  Restaurants have entrances and exits separated, tables inside moved further apart;  Two standard dinner times replaced by a longer “open” time and each cruise card given allocated dinner time (some flexibility is allowed);  No buffet orders, except for ready dishes, all breakfast food arrives at tables;  Bar service inside works both as table service and take away, outside as take away only."

Here are more details/specifics for excursions:  "New excursions have been added by Costa Cruises for a discounted price of 99 euros for five excursions; Land excursions that are independent of the cruise operator are not allowed; Swab tests must be done by each tourist before every excursion, as well as a temperature check performed before and after the excursion; Headphones are being used to listen to the guide in order to maintain social distancing; Tour guides and bus drivers undergo coronavirus swab tests every morning before work, vehicles sanitized before/after each use, no more than 25 passengers on each bus; Masks mandatory during excursions, the number of people per each excursion group limited; No separation from groups and no visiting of shops and venues that are not pre-approved."

Reactions??  Likes and dislikes??  Added questions, areas to be changed and/or addressed??

Full story at:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23627-what-it-s-like-to-cruise-with-costa-during-the-pandemic.html

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 18,921 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

36 minutes ago, worldtraveller99 said:

I can't believe this would be long term Randy - I am sure by 2022 or at least 2023 people will have forgotten it!x

Maybe a more correct statement would be we won’t cruise under the conditions laid out in Terry’s post.   I will say if it takes until 2022 or longer then cruising as we knew it will be dramatically changed.   

Combine the cruise experience described in Terry's post with the substantial financial loss a passenger may incur if, with the new precautions, they are denied boarding or disembarked early....not a recipe that encourages one to book a cruise.

• Thanks 1

Our only future booked cruises are on SS (Antarctica-- end of '21) and Celebrity (second time to Galapagos in '22). Shore excursions aren't an issue with either one--it's all done through the cruise line in each place. We only booked these because of the currently small deposit requirements and the tendency for early sell-outs on the staterooms we want. Around 95% of our port visits to date have been on our own or with a local guide with the cost shared with 2-6 others organized through the CC Roll Call boards. As long as the aforementioned cruise line shore excursion restrictions are in effect, we'll only do personally-designed land tours everywhere else as we're not interested in seeing everything by bus with 40-100 or more others and a single guide with a microphone and umbrella and waiting for the whole tour group to buy souvenirs and take the scheduled bathroom breaks.

54 minutes ago, taxatty said:

Our only future booked cruises are on SS (Antarctica-- end of '21) and Celebrity (second time to Galapagos in '22). Shore excursions aren't an issue with either one--it's all done through the cruise line in each place. We only booked these because of the currently small deposit requirements and the tendency for early sell-outs on the staterooms we want. Around 95% of our port visits to date have been on our own or with a local guide with the cost shared with 2-6 others organized through the CC Roll Call boards. As long as the aforementioned cruise line shore excursion restrictions are in effect, we'll only do personally-designed land tours everywhere else as we're not interested in seeing everything by bus with 40-100 or more others and a single guide with a microphone and umbrella and waiting for the whole tour group to buy souvenirs and take the scheduled bathroom breaks.

I understand your presence for doing "personally-designed land tours".  But you might very well not even get that far!

What happens if you depart from home Covid free, and somewhere along the transiting to the embarkation port, Argentina, for example, you become infected?? What then?? Aregentina doesn't want you.  Silversea won't let you board. What then?  Or worse, you are still negative when you board, but then test + while on the ship. Then what happens.  Here we go again.. Ships with infected pax.

This is the main problem.  ALL passengers boarding and staying negative.  How is this achieved without a vaccine?

Who'd want to be a Ship's Surgeon on board an SS vessel when a positive test comes along?  Plenty of high-risk individuals, limited resources and potentially many days from land. 

And who wants to be one of his/her patients in those circumstances? Thousands of miles from home, on a ventilator in a country where you know neither the language nor the customs? 

Is it a risk worth taking? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

Who'd want to be a Ship's Surgeon on board an SS vessel when a positive test comes along?  Plenty of high-risk individuals, limited resources and potentially many days from land. 

I think an SS vessel would be better than a humongeous ship with many thousand guests.  Crew/guest ratio would be better.  Contact tracing would be much easier.  Etc.

35 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

And who wants to be one of his/her patients in those circumstances? Thousands of miles from home, on a ventilator in a country where you know neither the language nor the customs? 

Is it a risk worth taking? 

One takes risks by leaving the house.  Indeed, within the house!  🙂

People suffer strokes thousands of miles from home.  I know one of them, who suffered a serious stroke in South America while on a cruise.

People suffer appendicitis while in the middle of the ocean, when few ships are capable of anesthesia/surgery.  I know of such a case.

(Neither of these cases was on SS.)

Tens of thousands of Americans die each winter from the seasonal flu.

The cruise industry and guests have lived with these realities for decades.  

I realize that COVID is particularly challenging.  But I am hopeful that matters will be largely under control sooner rather than later.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Randyk47 said:

If the above is the long term future of cruising we have taken our last cruise.   

I don't think we can cruise like this either. The mandatory excursions are a no-go. We will postpone one or both 2021 SS Med cruises if this is the case, and go somewhere by land (if we are allowed to go anywhere)...

We just took the most distant trip we've done since January. About 4h from home - with stops in Niagara Falls, Thousand Islands, and the Adirondacks. New York is beautiful but we are itching to use our passports again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tothesunset said:

Who'd want to be a Ship's Surgeon on board an SS vessel when a positive test comes along?  Plenty of high-risk individuals, limited resources and potentially many days from land. And who wants to be one of his/her patients in those circumstances? Thousands of miles from home, on a ventilator in a country where you know neither the language nor the customs?  Is it a risk worth taking? 

Appreciate these many varied excellent comments and follow-ups.  TTS is 100% correct that I would not want the "fun" for being a ship doctor/surgeon on a sailing where there are Covid-19 infections, etc.  Also agree with Observer that ALL of us have taken "risks" in life whether by traveling, driving, getting up the morning, etc.  It's just a matter of knowing and balancing the "risk vs. reward" factors.  Many, many very good comments, insights, questions and observations on this thread.  KEEP IT COMING!!!  Don't be shy.  

From the Miami Herald in the heart of cruising world headquarters late this afternoon, they had this headline: Carnival Cruise Line scraps plans to restart cruises from Miami in November with these highlights: “Less than two weeks after Carnival Cruise Line said it would begin to restart cruises from PortMiami and Port Canaveral on Nov. 1, on Monday the company canceled all cruises through the end of November.  Cruises are currently banned in the U.S. through Oct. 31.  Carnival Cruise Line was the only major cruise company that said it intended to restart limited cruising Nov. 1. All others previously canceled cruises through November. Competitors Royal Caribbean Group, Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings, MSC Cruises, Disney Cruise Line and Virgin Voyages are selling U.S. cruises for December. 'As we looked at the list of tasks involved in returning to operations, we determined that canceling November was required, even if the CDC’s no sail order is not extended beyond Oct. 31,' said Chris Chiames, a spokesperson for Carnival Cruise Line.  Carnival Corporation CEO Arnold Donald said previously that the company needs at least 30 days to get a laid-up ship ready for passengers.”

Full story at:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article246398790.html

Completed last summer Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog at: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

5 hours ago, kimanjo said:

I understand your presence for doing "personally-designed land tours".  But you might very well not even get that far!

What happens if you depart from home Covid free, and somewhere along the transiting to the embarkation port, Argentina, for example, you become infected?? What then?? Aregentina doesn't want you.  Silversea won't let you board. What then?  Or worse, you are still negative when you board, but then test + while on the ship. Then what happens.  Here we go again.. Ships with infected pax.

This is the main problem.  ALL passengers boarding and staying negative.  How is this achieved without a vaccine?

"Land tour" means no cruise as part of the trip.

A hoped-for broadly-distributed vaccine is why we're waiting until next December to cruise--if there is no vaccine by then (and we won't cruise without one--yes, I know they aren't 100% effective), there also may not be any cruise lines.

Edited by taxatty

Who is winning?  Covid-19 . . . versus . . . the various peoples and countries around the world?

From the Washington Post this afternoon, they had this headline: Second wave of covid-19 in Europe leads to new restrictions but no national lockdowns with these highlights: “England has seen new coronavirus cases quadruple in the past three weeks and now has more covid-19 patients hospitalized than before the government imposed a lockdown in March, health authorities said Monday, laying the groundwork for a fresh package of restrictions. But, like much of Europe, Britain is now pursuing targeted local restrictions — such as closing pubs in Liverpool, England — while doing everything it can to avoid another national lockdown and closure of schools. In a statement to Parliament, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he was trying to take a balanced approach, between the extremes of “shuttering our lives and our economy” and abandoning the fight.  Countries across Europe are similarly looking for compromises as they scramble to contain a resurgence in infections and hospital admissions. Even still, they face more anger and frustration from businesses and individuals than they did in the spring. France hinted it might impose further restrictions after a leap in cases and hospitalizations. On Saturday, authorities reported 27,000 new cases in the previous 24 hours — a record.  In Spain, Socialist Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez invoked emergency powers on Friday to prevent travel in and out of Madrid.”

Not good news in and around Europe.  Hard to move forward for re-starting cruise sailing when things continues challenged and difficult in parts of the U.S. and in Europe.  Are we missing something important?

Full story at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/covid-europe-second-wave/2020/10/12/8aacfadc-0c66-11eb-b404-8d1e675ec701_story.html

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 252,224 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Terry, its not good around anywhere really.  I am sure you have probably seen cases are going WAY UP here as well.

Over 50,000 new cases per day over the last few days.........☹️👎 I saw a few different Drs who all said the same

thing......we are going to have a BAD winter here in the states.......the virus doesn't care who you are or where you

live........

Just to inform re UK position.There is no such thing as Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland have been and still are doing there own thing with nil cooperation with England .It will be interesting when the borders close as Wales are threatening today!What a mess!