Princess Future Cruise Credit Rip Off

stevehowell

Princess Future Cruise Credit Rip Off

Princess Land and Sea Cruise

We first booked the Grand Princess Land and Sea 11 day cruise and tour Oct. 21, 2019.  Added the airfare thru Princess a couple months later and had everything paid, $5,166 total by Feb. 5, 2020.  Princess canceled the cruise because of the Cov-19 problems and offered us a 25% bonus in Future Cruise Credit to use at a later date. The 25% was only on the cruise fare – not counting airfare, taxes etc. which is okay by us and seemed right.

Then we went to book nearly the same exact cruise for next May only using the 25% bonus to upgrade to a better cabin.  Had cabins picked, dining time, everything set to go and then Princess thru a wrench into to deal.  They gave us FCC for everything we had paid in except taxes and told us after everything was done we would have $1,087 to use on another cruise by 12/31/21.  That didn’t add up to me, so I went thru the numbers and found that the new price $5,781 did not include the air fare from Tx. To Alaska which this cruise we had paid $1,176 and brought that to they’re attention saying it was a mistake.  They said, no it wasn’t a mistake – FCC could not be used on the airfare for next year. 

It’s a rip off that they have had my money fully paid for since Feb. 5 this year and will have it until May of next year, but won’t allow me to use that airfare for the new cruise.  Then tell me I have to use that $1,277 by 12/31/21 on another cruise.  Besides not being right in any way shape or form, even if I wanted to accept the offer, they don’t have any Princess cruise ships anywhere near Tx., where I live and would therefore have to fly again for the cruise to use that FCC.

I say all this to let you be aware, this offer from Princess is BS, and I will never book with them again.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to Cruise Critic. 

You have mistakenly posted to the board for those that require assistance with these boards. You might want to post on the Princess Board.

With that said, FCCs are usually only good for the cruise, not any airfare.

@stevehowell

Howdy from a fellow Texan and welcome to Cruise Critic! emo22.gif

Thank you for your first new thread! 👍

To help you out I have moved your thread to the Princess Cruises forum where it will be on-topic. Just please remember there are many Princess fans. And as our Manager LauraS states in the Guidelines we all agree to follow when registering for our free memberships: "Our mission is provide a haven on the internet, if you will, that will provide a resource for those planning a cruise and for those that love cruising."

I sincerely hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

Understand your frustration. It’s sucks that the same cruise next year costs a lot more. That extra 25% is not as valuable as it sounds. The fact that you cannot use the FCC for your air sucks. I think it’s how Princess it trying to stay afloat. They want new bookings that may not go, they need to get some money from you from any booking (the airfare). We’ve book a cruise that many not go, so I’ve contributed funds. We haven’t gotten our credit back from an Alaska cruise that we had booked and was cancelled. Same cruise next year, with the same perks, same week, $800 more per person. So cruise pricing is definitely going up. we rebooked but likely won’t go if we can’t refare lower.

We do not have funds from a fully paid cruise currently at their mercy, but a lot of people have multiple cruises that were paid on full. There are many stories here about that.

Also, that credit can be used on a booking before that date. As long as funds are applied by December 2021 you are okay. I don’t think the cruise has to sail by that date.

• Like 1

OP, I'm not really sure I understand about the airfare? If you purchased EZ Air then that money will be in a holding account and CAN be used on air in the future (if you chose option 1). If you chose option 2 for the refund then the money you paid for EZ Air will be refunded to original form of payment. It could be that they haven't yet processed your refundable amounts, in which case have them make a notation on the cancelled booking that you wish the amount applied to your new booking. It appears many reps are not up to speed with the process so just call back until you get one that knows what they are doing!

• Like 3

If they put your airfare, taxes,fees in a holding account ask for a refund to your credit card. Book your own air. Pay taxes, fees at time of final payment. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dog said:

If they put your airfare, taxes,fees in a holding account ask for a refund to your credit card. Book your own air. Pay taxes, fees at time of final payment. 

Is the holding account an actual thing ? I haven’t seen Princess communicate anything about that . 

Princess told vacations to go that they gave me FCC but the airfare portion could not be used on the replacement cruise.  I had paid them almost the exact dollar amount with they're added bonus as what the replacement cruise would cost and they refused to use the airfare toward the replacement cruise, but would allow it for another cruise. In other words they were assuring I would book still another cruise to use that money. If I lived within driving distance of a port they used, it wouldn't be as big a deal, but because they don't - I would have to fly for yet another cruise. I have cruised many times, and this just turned they're bonus to us and having a satisfied customer, and them still having sold the next cruise into a mad customer who will not sail with them again.

ceilidh1 This was purchased thru EZ Air 2 months after the cruise was booked. When they canceled the cruise I asked for my nearly $1200 to be refunded and they said they had they refund all, or give FCC for all - not split them. That part didn't seem right to me, however I was willing to let them use my money for the next year until they said it couldn't be used on that replacement cruise.

31 minutes ago, stevehowell said:

ceilidh1 This was purchased thru EZ Air 2 months after the cruise was booked. When they canceled the cruise I asked for my nearly $1200 to be refunded and they said they had they refund all, or give FCC for all - not split them. That part didn't seem right to me, however I was willing to let them use my money for the next year until they said it couldn't be used on that replacement cruise.

I suggest calling Princess yourself. I know you went through travel agency but you do not have to take FCC for airfare, taxes, fees, prepaid excursions etc. They are right that a FCC cannot be used for airfare. Call Princess tell them your situation and you want a refund for airfare. 
I used a TA. This time Princess was willing to talk to me. 

• Like 1

Some have suggested talking to Princess myself even though I purchased the cruise thru a travel agent.  

I have done that twice over the past week and a half.  First time telling them I wanted a refund for my airfare because it was a separate purchase from the cruise and I didn't think they needed my $1,200 as much as I did over the next year.  They denied it the refund, said refund all, or FCC all.   I thought about for a week and decided to call back, explained everything and they said the same thing as last time.  I asked to talk to a supervisor and explained the whole story and was told the exact same thing as previously told twice.  Then my vacations to go person called Friday and talked to Princess and they ran the FCC numbers and told me my airfare could not go against the next cruise, but would have to be used on another.  To that effect I am to the point that if they said they would now allow the airfare for the next cruise - I don't want to cruise with them again.  I am looking at similar 11 day land tour and cruises for next year with other cruise companies.  I have taken 57 cruises so far, and this was only going to be my 2nd with Princess - but now it will be stopped at 1 cruise with them.       

OK ... not sure if I understood the specifics of your booking and the refund option you chose, but, maybe this will help.  Maybe?  

Looks like you said you were getting 25% back in FCC for an October cruise so, it looks as though you've chosen option #1 as your refund choice.  

Now, you already received your FCC from what I gather but your issue is you cannot use it for airfare?  FCC cannot be used for air, taxes and fees, prepaid excursions and other reservations, etc. ... and now, not on the deposit either.   

I'm not a lawyer, but I do believe they do owe you your money for these items listed above (minus the deposit).  For a minute, they were returning these funds back to the client but, recently, they've developed a scheme to put them into a holding account under your name instead, so they can hold onto your cash.  I've seen others that insisted on having it sent back to their credit card ... stating it is illegal for them to hold onto it against your wishes.  

The problem I can see with your account is that nobody seems to be getting their money back as of yet ... whether it be in the holding account or otherwise.  I personally don't believe Princess (or any cruiseline) has the cash reserves to pay people back and they are using not only stall tactics to hold on to cash for long periods of time or they are using other techniques to get more cash out of Peter to pay Paul.  If you read any of the other threads, nobody seems to be getting any credit card refunds or checks for the money that is owed.  It's very discouraging but, we cruise on several different lines and the stories are the same for these passengers as well.  I've read that they are putting out close to a billion a month just to keep the ships on the water and repatriate the crew ... and now probably more to fend of all the impending lawsuits, etc. 

CLIA (CruiseLines International Association) is making deals with the US CoVid task force (CDC and the government) who recently agreed to drop language for passengers that were 70+ years and those with chronic illness ... why do I think that is?  Because they couldn't get any new bookings as probably 50% of their passenger base wouldn't qualify. 

They are definitely strapped for cash ... that much is obvious but some of their tactics are just not kosher IMO.  The continue to sell cruises (or delay cancelling cruises) that they know won't even happen ... gladly take your money but, will they return it??  

I apologize in advance if I didn't interpret your issue correctly.  Believe me, there are many in the same boat as you are ... I'm in for several thousands myself and very unhappy about it, as well.  I've had three sailings canceled due to CoVid-19 ... dang virus!!  And, I'm waiting on money back on all of them and I chose option #2.  Since you stated you paid off your sailing in February, is it possible for you to place a dispute with your credit card?  Again, this is only if I interpreted your issue correctly?  Best of luck to you ... and to all of us that should have money returned to us.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stevehowell said:

Take the refund. FCC can only be used for the cruise fare---not airfare, transfers, excursions. This is in the Personalizer on the Princess website.

If they put your airfare in a "holding account" as mentioned above, ask for a refund to your credit card.

What you say you have been told, is not what the majority of us posting on here are hearing. I am hoping for the best for you. Good luck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stevehowell said:

When was your cruise meant to sail? Did YOU cancel before Princess announced the cancellation? Did you have flexible or restricted air? Under the Cruise With Confidence policy, flexible air amounts that are not refundable are added to the FCC but if yours is a cruise cancelled by Princess then that is not the policy they should be following - unless YOU cancelled prior to them?

I would call Princess and ask to speak to customer relations - it could be that the agency you booked with did not cancel correctly or did not tag the booking correctly. OR, is it just that the cruise you are trying to rebook is more expensive than the cancelled one and that is why there is a difference in amounts?

General comment not directly related to OP. Comments that future, replacement cruises are more expensive than cancelled cruise is normal isn't it ? i.e. Cruise fares tend to come down as time passes, so not surprising that a future cruise would cost more than the cancelled cruise.

To OP, weird that they say air fare can be used against a different cruise but not the replacement cruise ????

10 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

When was your cruise meant to sail? Did YOU cancel before Princess announced the cancellation? Did you have flexible or restricted air? Under the Cruise With Confidence policy, flexible air amounts that are not refundable are added to the FCC but if yours is a cruise cancelled by Princess then that is not the policy they should be following - unless YOU cancelled prior to them?

I would call Princess and ask to speak to customer relations - it could be that the agency you booked with did not cancel correctly or did not tag the booking correctly. OR, is it just that the cruise you are trying to rebook is more expensive than the cancelled one and that is why there is a difference in amounts?

The cruise was meant to sail May 12, 9 days from now.  I have not canceled it yet, they Princess canceled it. I picked out a new cruise for next May but moved up to a balcony from inside and it made the new cruise with the bonus 25% come out to nearly the same price. When I went to book it with Vacations to go, they called Princess to get the final amount of my FCC and that is when they told me the airfare could not be used next May. Had to be used on a future cruise, meaning I would need to book 2 cruises instead on just one. I had booked the cruise thru Vacations to go earlier and then added EZ Air thru the Princess web site a couple months  I'm not sure if I had flexible or restricted.

2 minutes ago, stevehowell said:

The cruise was meant to sail May 12, 9 days from now.  I have not canceled it yet, they Princess canceled it. I picked out a new cruise for next May but moved up to a balcony from inside and it made the new cruise with the bonus 25% come out to nearly the same price. When I went to book it with Vacations to go, they called Princess to get the final amount of my FCC and that is when they told me the airfare could not be used next May. Had to be used on a future cruise, meaning I would need to book 2 cruises instead on just one. I had booked the cruise thru Vacations to go earlier and then added EZ Air thru the Princess web site a couple months  I'm not sure if I had flexible or restricted.

OK - I "think" I understand. The 25% bonus FCC is 25% of the cruise fare you paid only - NOT the airfare. The airfare and port fees/taxes will either be refunded to original form of payment OR kept in a holding account for you to apply it to airfare , deposit, and port fees/taxes on a future cruise. The 25% bonus FCC can only be applied to cruise fare, not deposit, airfare, or port taxes/fees - that is standard with any FCC on Princess. It sounds as if maybe the cruise for next year costs the same as the cruise for this year but WITHOUT airfare (this would make sense if going from inside to balcony?) so you can't use the airfare money until you book the airfare. I will give a basic example/breakdown - does this make sense?

Cancelled/Original Cruise                                                                            NEW CRUISE

Cruise fare: $1000                                                                                         Cruise Fare: $1250

Port fees: $100                                                                                               Port fees: $100

Air fare: $500                                                                                                  Air fare: $500

TOTAL PAID: $1600                                                         You pay no additional in this instance since it all moves over

FCC: 25% of $1000 = $250                                              If cruise fare alone is higher than $1250 you would need to pay

REFUND or HELD: $600                                                    If port fees are more than $100 you would need to pay

If air fare is more than $500 you would need to pay

MY advice would be to get the air fare and port fees refunded to original form of payment and then add air on after the cruise itself has been sorted out. If the above is not what you are experiencing, then you should call Princess - remember, you are not obligated to book your new cruise with the same agency as the previous cruise so there is nothing to stop you from handling the new booking yourself or through a TA. Good luck.

31 minutes ago, stevehowell said:

Also, just to be sure you were given all of your options....were you informed that you could just get a full refund if you wanted?

This is directly from the cancellation notice sent out to TAs:

"If your client paid Princess anything toward a booking, that will be refunded to the original method of payment. This includes upgrades, PrincessEZair, prepaid shore excursions, special service items, gratuities, taxes, fees and port expenses."

So maybe they are saying you can't use the airfare because it hasn't yet been refunded.

Hope this is some help!

14 hours ago, stevehowell said:

Then my vacations to go person called Friday and talked to Princess and they ran the FCC numbers and told me my airfare could not go against the next cruise, but would have to be used on another. 

I want to make sure I understand you correctly.

They say that your airfare, which has gone into a "holding account", cannot be used for airfare on your next cruise?