Noordam or Nieuw Amsterdam?

Aulanifan

We are looking at booking an Alaskan 14 day cruise tour for June/July 2021.  They have the same itinerary. Which ship would you choose?  Thank you for your input!

Edited by Aulanifan
wrong year typed

Depends on what is important to you. 

To me, a lot depends on the kind of room I'd be looking for.  Noordam has larger cabins, especially nicer insides and OVs with full size couches in most, at least love seats which are in the OVs on lower promenade deck.   

If you want to factor is entertainment, Nieuw Amsterdam has the newer set up for Lincoln Center Stage, BB King Allstars and Billboard.  Not sure how Noordam is set up for music now, but if that interests you, ask and others will chime in.  

Dining?  NA has Tamarind. 

Outside decks - both have full promenade decks. 

Itinerary?  Day of the week in the ports can matter.  Time in the ports?  Ease of Departure port?  

Give us a little more to work with on your desires and we'll give it a better go!  Happy planning!  m--  

1 hour ago, RMLincoln said:

Depends on what is important to you. 

To me, a lot depends on the kind of room I'd be looking for.  Noordam has larger cabins, especially nicer insides and OVs with full size couches in most, at least love seats which are in the OVs on lower promenade deck.   

If you want to factor is entertainment, Nieuw Amsterdam has the newer set up for Lincoln Center Stage, BB King Allstars and Billboard.  Not sure how Noordam is set up for music now, but if that interests you, ask and others will chime in.  

Dining?  NA has Tamarind. 

Outside decks - both have full promenade decks. 

Itinerary?  Day of the week in the ports can matter.  Time in the ports?  Ease of Departure port?  

Give us a little more to work with on your desires and we'll give it a better go!  Happy planning!  m--  

We would depart June 13th (Noordam) or the 20th(NA).  Verandah room choice.  Food quality, service and the room/balcony are more important to us.  Thanks!

4 hours ago, Aulanifan said:

We would depart June 13th (Noordam) or the 20th(NA).  Verandah room choice.  Food quality, service and the room/balcony are more important to us.  Thanks!

Both are excellent ships and ought to provide a similar cruise experience. 

While food quality should be the same, who the ship's Executive Chef is during your sailing could make a difference.  (One never knows beforehand.)  Service?  Ought to be the same on both, but again, the ship's Hotel Director and others in his/her Department, i.e. Bar Manager and the Assistant Bar Manager,  can make a difference in my experience.  (One never knows beforehand either.)  

For a standard verandah stateroom, I think the verandah's on Noordam are somewhat larger than on Nieuw Amsterdam.  Big difference?  No, both are quite adequate.  My opinion:  during an Alaskan cruise, it is a mistake to plan to spend much of your time on one's verandah.  One needs to be "out and about" on the open decks when the ship is in scenic areas, and even when it is just sailing, to have the best opportunities to see wildlife.  Maybe the whales you were wanting to see decided to appear on the starboard side of the ship when you are sitting on your verandah on the port side of the ship.   

Edited by rkacruiser

I have sailed on both and enjoy both.  Noordam has the Lincoln Center Stage, Billboard and BB Kings, as does Nieuw Amsterdam.  Only difference for me is the Tamarind on NA which is a plus.

~Nancy

I prefer the Nieuw Amsterdam and I never eat in the Tamarind.  I love the New York flavor of the Nieuw Amsterdam and I just find the Signature ships to be nicer than the Vista ships.. 

Like CruiserBruce, the Noordam was our favorite ship until N.A. arrived.  I like the Library/Explorations Cafe on the Noordam much more though.

Edited by catl331

I'm looking at the same itinerary, and the days of the week are the same (both depart/arrive on Sunday with the ports of call in the same order, just alternating weeks, so Noordam is northbound while NA is southbound, and vice versa).

We chose the Noordam departure on 5/30 purely for scheduling reasons (priced lower than the June/July sailings but late enough that we can get to Eielson Visitor in Denali afterwards, and also not conflicting with Memorial Day weekend).