Am I Crazy?

Legal Stylist

Afternoon all!

Just going to preface this by saying, yes I probably am crazy, but given everything in my life I want to get away this year.

I was due to fly to Egypt on Friday which is just not happening and I am completely turned off the idea of trying to vacation outside Europe in summer 2020.

Would I be mad to book onto the Aurora voyage on 30 August? We're also booked for the Britannia transatlantic on October 23, but I have doubts about that as well in case of a second wave.  

What does everyone think? Am I crazy or should I go for it? 

That's only a decision you can make. Personally I wouldn't risk it. We have one booked for  November 6th and I'm really hoping it happens. However when the balance is due the beginning of August,  and if it still looks doubtful, I won't be  paying.  It's  too risky at the moment to give any cruise company your money. 

Avril 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It depends on how you would feel around waiting a long time for your money back if the cruise is cancelled. 

I don't know for certain, but the odds of cruising taking place then appear low.

What we do know is that you would have to pay for the whole cruise around 90 days in advance.  Currently, customers who were supposed to be travelling in March are waiting to be refunded and they are supposed to be going in alleged date order.

The 60 days is not being met at the moment, so worst case scenario may be that you don't receive your money back if it is cancelled until around November.  You could have the cruise credit but there will be fewer good deals and so your money (even with the 25pc) is likely to go less far.

Personally I wouldn't.

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

That's only a decision you can make. Personally I wouldn't risk it. We have one booked for  November 6th and I'm really hoping it happens. However when the balance is due the beginning of August,  and if it still looks doubtful, I won't be  paying.  It's  too risky at the moment to give any cruise company your money. 

Avril 

I agree with you Avril. We are very unlikely to pay the balance for our October cruise. I don’t think it will be advisable to book a cruise for August as I don’t think ships will be sailing normally by then.

32 minutes ago, Legal Stylist said:

Afternoon all!

Just going to preface this by saying, yes I probably am crazy, but given everything in my life I want to get away this year.

I was due to fly to Egypt on Friday which is just not happening and I am completely turned off the idea of trying to vacation outside Europe in summer 2020.

Would I be mad to book onto the Aurora voyage on 30 August? We're also booked for the Britannia transatlantic on October 23, but I have doubts about that as well in case of a second wave.  

What does everyone think? Am I crazy or should I go for it? 

I think it is highly unlikely for August and now Boris says coming back into this country from end of May you will have to quarantine for 14 days.

I would wait and see and book at short notice if you can.

• Like 2

You're all echoing what I know deep down.  Thankfully, I wouldn't miss the money until it was refunded.  I'm very lucky in that aspect.  Also, I'm in my 30's and in great health, so I can be a bit blasé with Covid-19.  

Regarding the 14 days I was hoping that, given France being exempt, perhaps all of Europe would follow. 

Pipe dream I guess! Should get my head out of the clouds.  

12 minutes ago, Legal Stylist said:

You're all echoing what I know deep down.  Thankfully, I wouldn't miss the money until it was refunded.  I'm very lucky in that aspect.  Also, I'm in my 30's and in great health, so I can be a bit blasé with Covid-19.  

Regarding the 14 days I was hoping that, given France being exempt, perhaps all of Europe would follow. 

Yes people of all ages and in their 30s and even younger in good health with no underlying conditions have died due to COVID-19 so you should stop being blase.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Legal Stylist said:

It's your life, your money, only you can decide. 

When I invent the magic pill that we can take that makes us all immune, we can all join you. 

Keep dreaming, but keep your money in your pocket and if it goes ahead, book last minute at a fantastic price. 

Andy 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Yes people of all ages and in their 30s and even younger in good health with no underlying conditions have died due to COVID-19 so you should stop being blase.

Absolutely agree.

2 hours ago, Legal Stylist said:

Your age and health sounds great.

You have time on your hands to have many holidays including cruising.

Why take unnecessary risks now?

Graham.

• Like 3

Personally I wouldn’t, book for August at the moment. We have a booking for mid October, and I can’t see that going, if it did sail I think we’d need to review what p and o are doing with social distancing before we left home! 

49 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Your age and health sounds great.

You have time on your hands to have many holidays including cruising.

Why take unnecessary risks now?

Graham.

I agree with your advice Graham, Legal Stylist should take care and not chances ,If his body has a weakness 

then the chances are covid would find it.

I remember two guys who were in coronary care when I was in hosp[ital. One was only in his mid twenty's,

He only went in because he had fell off his mountain bike and they discovered by chance he needed a new heart valve.

He was shocked as he had no symptoms and considered himself fit . The other lad wanted stents but thought himself 

fit and was shocked that he had underlying conditions and before had not got a clue about his condition .

What I am getting at  is most people are young and fit and covid could take them out anyway but why take chances ?

You will get chance to cruise another day soon when your only in your 30's once this virus passes ,take care not chances :classic_smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

What about SS Kalos... We have a Stoke bar.. 

Andy 

Andy I am  almost fully booked ,caravanning  it's the future :classic_rolleyes: (Well for now )

Just to give you a heads up my new venture is trying to get P&O to go for a rebrand of one of the ships .

We could rename one of the ships POLITICS :classic_smile:

Then everyone could talk about politics on Cruise Critics on the P&O threads without annoying any of the posters.

Good idea or what ? :classic_wink: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You're all right.  I'll keep a hold of our October cruise and see if that happens.  

Feel like such a wimp saying it but I wanted a holiday to look forward to this summer.  I care for my mum (with MS) and my husband who has a physical disability while working full time.  Guess I'm just needing a break and have a bit of wishful thinking-itis. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, kalos said:

I agree with your advice Graham, Legal Stylist should take care and not chances ,If his body has a weakness 

then the chances are covid would find it.

I remember two guys who were in coronary care when I was in hosp[ital. One was only in his mid twenty's,

He only went in because he had fell off his mountain bike and they discovered by chance he needed a new heart valve.

He was shocked as he had no symptoms and considered himself fit . The other lad wanted stents but thought himself 

fit and was shocked that he had underlying conditions and before had not got a clue about his condition .

What I am getting at  is most people are young and fit and covid could take them out anyway but why take chances ?

You will get chance to cruise another day soon when your only in your 30's once this virus passes ,take care not chances :classic_smile:

I absolutely agree.

Covid19 will find you out if you have any unknown health issues regardless of age.

• Like 1

I'm still enjoying looking at cruises - a bit of fantasising over which cruise I may take, and which cabin I'll choose.

Have fun making a shortlist of your faves - you can then book last-minute if it's going.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Legal Stylist said:

You're all right.  I'll keep a hold of our October cruise and see if that happens.  

Feel like such a wimp saying it but I wanted a holiday to look forward to this summer.  I care for my mum (with MS) and my husband who has a physical disability while working full time.  Guess I'm just needing a break and have a bit of wishful thinking-itis. 

Oh bless you... 

Enjoy being safe, us young uns have years to enjoy holidays... 

Andy 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Legal Stylist said:

From Wednesday you can go to the beach and see the sea.

We looked after Pauline's late mam who had dementia and both went part retired to do so and understand how demanding caring is.

We have had to cancel 2 cruises this year.

Boris is talking about 14 days quarantine at the end of May if you leave the country so you would not be able to see your mam to care for her.

You have time on your side please don't take unnecessary risks.

Graham

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 2

I agree with everyone, at least wait and see. Personally I think the cruise ships will have difficulty finding ports that will let them dock.
I won’t be paying for my October cruise when the final balance is due and that was for a special cruise for us so I understand you wanting to go.

• Like 1