What Is Your Favorite Memory Of Princess Cruising?

Daniel A

7 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

wow, that is great.  I saw a bear in Alsaka in 2017;  he was swimming in the river and swam past our boat

We have been to Alaska 27 times and have only seen a few bears from the shore line while on whale watching tours.  A couple of years ago we decided to take a bear watching tour to Anan Creek and we really lucked out.  We saw about 8 bears (in the streams getting salmon, going up and down the hills, climbing the trees, walking down paths.  We were on an elevated platform which also had a blind below so we had a couple of vantage points.  We enjoyed our tour so much we booked the same the following year. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Italy52 said:

Just checked with DH and he said approx. 15 feet. 

Camping in Oregon last year I looked up from cooking and discovered a bear about 15 feet away. I backed off to the truck and the bear climbed up on the table where I had been cooking and checked things out. He hung around the table for about 15-20 minutes before finally wandering off. Close enough bear encounter for me. I prefer a bit more distance. We did see quite a few bears when traveling through Canada a couple of years ago and have seen grizzlies a few times during the Tundra Wilderness Tour in Denali. Would love to see bears "fishing" though.

• Like 1

We went on 52 cruises between 1994 and 2017 and had then had to stop  due to my DH's deteriorating health.  The great majority (between 2000 and 2017) were on Princess ships and we went to the Caribbean almost every Jan., through the Panama Canal several times, to Alaska once, and on many TAs (in both directions) with Princess.  It's hard to pick out just one favorite memory.  But one had to be our first cruise on the new Royal.  I had watched the TV coverage of Princess Kate christening the Royal and the first time we were on the ship was within a year of that.  The display cases forward of the atrium had many items and photos from the christening.  I got up early the first morning onboard and just "drank in" the splendor of the atrium alone.

2 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

But one had to be our first cruise on the new Royal.  I had watched the TV coverage of Princess Kate christening the Royal and the first time we were on the ship was within a year of that.  The display cases forward of the atrium had many items and photos from the christening.  

Those display cases have some interesting memorabilia that I don't think many guests take the time to stop and view them.  

23 hours ago, Italy52 said:

ry%3D400

We took a bear watching tour with Island Wings --- destination Anan Creek.  This bear was spotted on our walkway just prior to us going down the path.  We all waited until our guide gave the "all clear."  Wonderful memories were made that day.  We are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sad that we will be missing Alaska this year. 

My best bear encounter was on a shore excursion to Taku Lodge for a salmon bake out of Juneau.  After lunch, a bear was spotted peaking through the nearby vegetation.  The Lodge's staff got everyone out of the yard in front of the Lodge onto the porch.  The bear comes ambling out of the woods, crosses the yard, and heads for the grill where the salmon was cooked.  He/she rears up on its hind legs and proceeds to "dine" on the salmon remains on the grill.  Quite a sight!

• Like 1

I especially enjoyed cruising on Princess prior to the 2008 recession.  The buffets stayed open all night and served items like jumbo shrimp at midnight.  Real food—not just snacks.  Usually leftover from dinner, but still tasty!  Also, during the day they often served deep fried jumbo shrimp and I’d pile up a plate and sit by the pool.   I sound like I’m a shrimp fan, don’t I?  I am! 🍤🍤🍤.  And they had awesome deck parties and gave out hats and horns and leis.  The production shows were longer and had more props.  The food in the MDR was also better.  No need to go to an alternative restaurant to get a good steak or pasta. And they served crab legs!   Lol, I promise I don’t spend my ENTIRE time eating! 

19 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Those display cases have some interesting memorabilia that I don't think many guests take the time to stop and view them.  

I'm sure that's true, but as we usually get a cabin on Plaza deck of any ship, it was a place we often walked by.  Another place I discovered on a subsequent Royal cruise in the Caribbean was aft of the Horizon Court--totally covered outside deck with loungers and view of the wake.  Virtually no one else when I spent time there.  Also, a bar back there if one is inclined to have a cool one.

4 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

Another place I discovered on a subsequent Royal cruise in the Caribbean was aft of the Horizon Court--totally covered outside deck with loungers and view of the wake.  Virtually no one else when I spent time there.  Also, a bar back there if one is inclined to have a cool one.

I found that area very early during my Royal Princess cruise.  When the Horizon Court/Bistro was packed and seating was hard to come by, that area usually had empty tables.  I enjoyed my final breakfast in Fort Lauderdale in that area on a January morning.  A bit cool (it was still dark--I was assigned an early disembarkation)--but I most pleasant final memory of that cruise.

• Like 1

Our first Princess cruise was for our 25th wedding anniversary. As a surprise for me, my husband arranged for our best friends to join us. I remember them knocking on our stateroom door and when I answered I just stood there with my mouth hanging open. We had such a good time.

I also agree that a favorite memory is the moment I get on that ship.

• Like 1

Favorite memories:

Meeting Dave and Margaret on our 28 day cruise. We have since met with them a number of times on land, been to their home, and sailed with them on a 14 day TA Barcelona to Florida.

Meeting Theo and Anke on a 19 day Panama Canal Partial Transit. They later picked us up at the airport after we did an Alaska cruise tour and we spent 3 days at their home.

Meeting great folks like this really makes great cruising memories. Hopefully cruising "returns" and we can cruise with them again.

On 5/18/2020 at 3:49 AM, AF-1 said:

Tony; that is a good looking dessert

trbarton;  where do you keep the signed tshirt?

I Just keep it folded in a plastic bag.  I’ve shown it to a few people & bring it & wear it when I organize a Meet & Greet. I usually go around the room so people can see it with the signatures. I’ve never washed & not sure what to do it I wanted it cleaned. Any suggestions?

I’m thinking of printing out a photo of them & keep it with the shirt when I show it to people. 

Tom😀

A highlight of my 14 day cruise last year on the Majestic Princess from Sydney Australia to Hong Kong was an offer from a CC member that was boarding in Melbourne to meet us in Melbourne at the cruise terminal & show us around town. Here’s a photo of Fred & his wife. Something I’ll always remember. 

Tom😀

image.thumb.jpeg.9b904cb2d6665fe0a981e8e5fc2c22bc.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, trbarton said:

I Just keep it folded in a plastic bag.  I’ve shown it to a few people & bring it & wear it when I organize a Meet & Greet. 

Tom😀

Tom,

What's your secret?  Any shirt I have from that long ago certainly wouldn't fit me at all! 😄 

17 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Tom,

What's your secret?  Any shirt I have from that long ago certainly wouldn't fit me at all! 😄 

A highlight of my 14 day cruise last year on the Majestic Princess from Sydney Australia to Hong Kong was an offer from a CC member that was boarding in Melbourne to meet us in Melbourne at the cruise terminal & show us around town. Here’s a photo of Fred & his wife. Something I’ll always remember. 

Tom😀

I’ve lost some weight so it fits OK. 

image.thumb.jpeg.9b904cb2d6665fe0a981e8e5fc2c22bc.jpeg