Current Crew Conditions Onboard Celebrity

Desert Diamond

Details of Celebrity crew repatriations are the last entry in the article. A bit of a long read that shows the emotional toll crew members are experiencing.

I understand that many of us want “fluffy clouds” and optimism, and I do too.  But I am also interested in how my favorite cruise line is communicating and treating their crew. 

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article242565281.html

I didn't have trouble reading the article without a subscription.  I think it is the same or very similar article that was posted on another thread yesterday from the Miami Herald. 

2 minutes ago, jelayne said:

I didn't have trouble reading the article without a subscription.  I think it is the same or very similar article that was posted on another thread yesterday from the Miami Herald. 

Gotcha.  I'm betting the articles are pretty similar.  Maybe I've met my reading quota.  This is what I get:

image.thumb.png.cba0040cefccd1650f0d66980e84a793.png

Just now, Desert Diamond said:

Apologies if already posted. I looked for it on here but may have missed it.

Based on your initial post, I don't think it was exactly the same.  I believe the other one posted referred to a protest on a specific ship.  Honestly, I've started to lose track 🙃

Basic gist of the article highlighted the struggles to repatriate crew which is understandable. Repeated misinformation was told to them about CDC not allowing them to return home on charter flights or that it was too expensive. Also, continued falsehoods about Covid testing and cases onboard. Crew also repeatedly transferred from ship to ship and kept quarantined for many days in tiny crew cabins. Not all have received the 5 star treatment that Captain Kate features on Instagram.

3 minutes ago, Desert Diamond said:

Not all have received the 5 star treatment that Captain Kate features on Instagram.

And that's a problem.  The treatment the crew receive should not come down to the heart of the captain.  I would have expected corporate to put out some edicts across the fleet about some standard treatment and conditions available to the crew.  Seems like conditions should be equitable and not come down to luck of the leadership.  All this is of course, assuming that there was no such correspondence sent to captains...which we likely will not ever really know.

The article is dated yesterday & I didn't read the entire article today it is seemed to be the same info I read yesterday.  Have to say I didn't read all of that article either.  The same info has been in the press for at least 6 weeks.

I've no doubt the many are getting depressed and frustrated with their inability to get home.  From what I have seen the cruise lines are making efforts to get crew home but the restrictions in some countries are making that extremely difficult if not impossible.

I'm pretty sure that the crew on the RCCL ships have been moved into guest quarters.  And  believe they don't have to share cabins - better for them and easier to minimize the spread of any sickness, including colds.

Most of the Celebrity related content is towards the end of the article. It was the first time I had seen a photo of the crew cabins they’re quarantined in. Some have been moved to passenger cabins but with so many ship to ship transfers, not always.
Without question, it is no doubt a challenge to repatriate crew with so many variables. Unfortunately, they were not told the truth about CDC Requirements and why Celebrity was not signing on to them.

I had no trouble getting the article and reading about the crew couple, Whitcomb and Cruells who were in the 12 x 12 windowless cabin for so long.  She is now home but it seems he is still on Reflection waiting for a flight to Argentina.  What terrible conditions for the crew who make the cruises possible for all of us.

• Like 2

I read the entire article yesterday and it was quite eye-opening. It seems as if the captain of the NCL ship lied to the crew about the presence of the virus which is despicable. I suppose the Celebrity management on the ship may have misled their crew members at times also.

I am sure conditions on the ships are very challenging, but it is never a good idea to mislead those who work for you. I expected more of Royal Caribbean/Celebrity as a company.

• Like 1

Than you for posting this link; I read the entire articl and it was sobering, distressing and provided an insight most of us can't imagine. When it come to corporate behavior I am a skeptic and unfortunately believe that most companies and political leaders react to catastrophic events with decisions that are more about  "damage control" and "saving face" than showing any true commitment to doing the right and ethical thing. How sad - but this article also illustrates the enormously complicated logistical and business challenges that this industry faces. I hope all crew are cared for in the end and that good judgement guides the cruise industry leadership so it can return a product that so many enjoy.

Again, thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

It's pretty tough to send crew members home when their own countries won't allow them entry.

This. I see so many (not just here; even a friend of mine was going off about them "holding crew hostage" and not listening when I said "So where are they supposed to go since they can't go home?") blaming the cruise lines when in many cases it is not their fault. It is the home countries that are not allowing the crew back in. Not all cases, but many.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
  • Like 1

I know a crew member that I have been in continuous contact with that was on the Equinox. He is now on the Infinity sailing back to India. He said that things have been good, they are being treated very well and are using passenger cabins. 

• Thanks 1

As a seasoned cruiser, and long time member of Cruise Critic, I am shocked and saddened by the lack of outrage here for these crew members!!  Regardless of their ethnicity and their country of repatriation...

THEY ARE CONSTANTLY BEING LIED TO BY THIER EMPLOYER!!

Pure and simple.  Lies upon lies upon lies!  Read the entire article.  It is absolutely disgusting, and there is no end to the lying.  Celebrity used the CDC as a "crutch" to not remove crew.  I GET that other countries are denying repatriation, but STOP LYING TO YOUR CREW!!

• Like 1

There are crew members who have declined to be repatriated home and to stay on a ship as they feel they are better off there.  Other crew are anxious to get home but some are not sure when the ship gets them to their country they will be allowed in.  That’s stressful but not stress caused by the cruise line. 

Things change daily and Just because a reporter wrote an article, doesn’t mean it is  totally (or 50%) accurate.  

There is no easy answer and it is not black and white.  Easy to be on the outside seeing only the one side that sells newspapers. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, jelayne said:

There are crew members who have declined to be repatriated home and to stay on a ship as they feel they are better off there.  Other crew are anxious to get home but some are not sure when the ship gets them to their country they will be allowed in.  That’s stressful but not stress caused by the cruise line. 

Things change daily and Just because a reporter wrote an article, doesn’t mean it is  totally (or 50%) accurate.  

There is no easy answer and it is not black and white.  Easy to be on the outside seeing only the one side that sells newspapers. 

J:  I have the utmost respect for your opinions and posts.  And yes, there are many crew members that are willing and able to stay onboard.  No doubt. No option.

BUT.... I feel very strongly that many are not receiving accurate information (quite the pattern across all cruiselines), with some being flat out lied to.  

Is this article accurate?  Is this article inflated?  Time will tell.... but for the Miami Herald to defame the cruise industry like this???  Just think about it.... 

3 minutes ago, julia said:

J:  I have the utmost respect for your opinions and posts.  And yes, there are many crew members that are willing and able to stay onboard.  No doubt. No option.

BUT.... I feel very strongly that many are not receiving accurate information (quite the pattern across all cruiselines), with some being flat out lied to.  

Is this article accurate?  Is this article inflated?  Time will tell.... but for the Miami Herald to defame the cruise industry like this???  Just think about it.... 

You are correct time will tell.  Not living in FL my exposure to the Miami Herald is only the negative cruise line articles that are linked on CC.  

Since this mess has started we have heard from 5 crew members.  One’s contract ended before this mess and she is glad to be home but if she were on a ship when this happen she would have  elected to stay.  3 are on their way home, 2 are happy and expect no to minimal problems getting off the ship, 1 not sure and stressed that there country won’t let him in.  

The other won’t leave until they are comfortable that they can get off the ship. Kinda like the enemy you know is better than the one you don’t know.  All are happy that they were moved to guest cabins (no sharing) and said while a lot of stop & go yes you will go home in 2 days, nope things changed.  Spending hours pretty much isolated in the cabin was tough.

I will say that the crew we have been in touch with are long term 10+ years on ships so their expectation may  different that others 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 7:49 PM, TeaBag said:

I had no trouble getting the article and reading about the crew couple, Whitcomb and Cruells who were in the 12 x 12 windowless cabin for so long.  She is now home but it seems he is still on Reflection waiting for a flight to Argentina.  What terrible conditions for the crew who make the cruises possible for all of us.

Boredom from spending too much time at home, gave me a project after I also read the entire article which included the couple mentioned above who were on the Infinity, so I decided to google the ships info.  I am sure there will be many on this thread who will defend Celebrity's actions and have no problem blasting this post but, as an Elite Plus Captain's Club member, I find their handling of the Crew's room assignments during this extremely stressful time very disappointing.

According to the Celebrity web site, the Infinity holds 2170 passengers and 999 crew. I then counted the number of inside cabins which is 219 which means 438 passengers for double occupancy.  Since I didn't want to assume that staff would be berthed in Suites,  I then counted number of Suites which is 24 which means 48 passengers for double occupancy. Total for both is 486.   

When you deduct the 486 berths from the Infinity's available passenger capacity of 2170 the number of remaining berths  available is 1684.  So my question to  Celebrity's Sr. Management during this extremely traumatic time for the Ship's crew is.... 

why couldn't the Infinity's 999 crew members be berthed in the remaining available berths so they could see daylight?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2020 at 3:02 PM, Loracpin2 said:

So my question to  Celebrity's Sr. Management during this extremely traumatic time for the Ship's crew is.... 

why couldn't the Infinity's 999 crew members be berthed in the remaining available berths so they could see daylight?

Your deductions are spot on.

Apparently, this logic is above management's pay grade.