Take A Cruise To Nowhere?

On 5/24/2020 at 3:19 PM, crusinbanjo said:

Cruise to nowhere, never for me.  I love the ports, if I want to go no where, I’ll Just stay home.

I'd like a cruise to nowhere.  I get so tired of living in a big city of one million, high rises, concrete, traffic etc.  Just to get out in the middle of nowhere with nothing but water, blue sky and clouds.   Aaaaaah.

• Like 5

I think it's not viable for cruise lines to go to a lot of sea days on cruises, as many new (or fairly new) cruisers would want to see the Caribbean islands or go into ports in Alaska.  I was to go to Alaska in July with 2 friends who have never been there.  All the ports are old news to me, but they were anxiously looking forward to experiencing Ketchikan (too crowded for me, but I would enjoy showing them around) and the other cities in Alaska.  For me, more than 2-3 sea days in a row is hard to take.

Having just stepped off the Maasdam in San Diego on March 27, I also agree with those that said that HAL would need to offer more day AND evening entertainment if there were more than 2 sea days in a row.  The life aboard is getting pretty darn boring. I miss the live entertainment in most venues (especially on those smaller ships we prefer) during the day as well as evening, more games, the FREE (what a concept) exercise classes in the pool and elsewhere.

Ordinarily I’d probably pass on a cruise with no ports of call.  Since I’m in my third month of “house arrest” I’d do it in a heartbeat if I didn’t have to fly.  Especially if it was for about three to five days.

• Like 4

On 5/24/2020 at 9:08 AM, Lido deck main said:

I would do a cruise to Alaska without port stops if it went to Glacier Bay.  We have been to Alaska three times already would like to go just for the scenery.  One time we went, the captain took us on the inside of the inside channel, was wonderful.  Would want that again.  We do generally like longer cruises with ports we haven’t been to but this would get our cruising fix.  Plus we wouldn’t have to fly as we live 15 minutes from Vancouver Port.  My guess is though that Vancouver Port will stay closed until the end of the year and soonest reopen if it does even then for the start of the 2021 season in April 2021.  We are preparing for second wave expected around September.  Our provincial health ministers are very proactive and our federal counterparts are also that way too.  The federal government is in charge of the ports but they listen too and follow the science.  

Great point, we just did an Alaska cruise in September on the Amsterdam,  the most memorable part was Glacier Bay. The towns all started looking alike. 

Everytime you take a picific cruise it feels like sailing nowhere. After a few days of cruising you will find yourself in the middle of the ocean without any signs of life outside the ship. I mean, I understand some people's desire to travel somewhere really far to make it feel like a big journey but cruising is more about enjoying yourself in a company of fellow passangers rather than senceless sailing into nowhere. 

22 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Everytime you take a picific cruise it feels like sailing nowhere. After a few days of cruising you will find yourself in the middle of the ocean without any signs of life outside the ship. I mean, I understand some people's desire to travel somewhere really far to make it feel like a big journey but cruising is more about enjoying yourself in a company of fellow passangers rather than senceless sailing into nowhere. 

Transpacifics (to Asia, NZ and Australia with ports in Hawaii, S Pacific) and Transatlantics have been some of the best cruises we've taken. Watching for sealife (a whale!!) and ships (look, the first one we've seen for 3 days!!) is a lot of fun for us.  We meet a ton of interesting pax, have some wonderful meals in various restaurants and enjoy life at sea in the slow lane! For some, this is paradise!

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Transpacifics (to Asia, NZ and Australia with ports in Hawaii, S Pacific) and Transatlantics have been some of the best cruises we've taken. Watching for sealife (a whale!!) and ships (look, the first one we've seen for 3 days!!) is a lot of fun for us.  We meet a ton of interesting pax, have some wonderful meals in various restaurants and enjoy life at sea in the slow lane! For some, this is paradise!

Make that + one please!!! So agree with all your points!!

• Thanks 1

On 5/23/2020 at 8:06 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Hi, I'm cruisemom42 and I am a travel addict.

I've been cruising since the early 1970s. I'd never consider a cruise to nowhere. I cruise to see new places and enjoy being at sea. But being at sea on its own would not be sufficient for me.

Ditto, 

While we have only been cruising since the late 90's, we see cruising as a way to see new places with our travelling hotel. Several times we have visited cities on a cruise and gone back later on a land trip to spend additional days in order to see all the sites. Stockholm, Copenhagen, Amsterdam are just a few of cities we have gone back too after visiting on a cruise. Tallinn, St. Petersburg and Valletta are some we want to go back to. 

We enjoy the sea days as more of a recovery day after some of the port intensive itineraries we have done in the past, but have no desire to spend multiple days just cruising around on the ocean. 

Edited by drowelf

We've done a couple of Cruises to Nowhere (2 - 3 days) back in the early 2000's out of NY.  We were about 1 1/2 drive to the City.  Lots of fun!  We'll do a 7 Nite Carib Cruise every now and then for a short Get-Away cruise and very rarely get off the Ship since we've been to all the Ports.  For the right price and if within driving distance we'd do a Cruise to Nowhere. 

• Like 1