Alcoholic drink packages

nemesees

11 minutes ago, nemesees said:

I’m wanting to get a drink package. Does anyone know what the usual daily rates are?

It's just under $60/day after gratuities. Then it's an additional $5/day if you buy it on the ship. I personally would hold off because  about a month ago they did a sale offering an additional 10% off over the next 6 months or something and 20% off for cruises further out..Just to get some cash flowing. I would wait and see if they do another sale. They also had a sale on cruise cash. So I bought cheers and cruise cash for all of my upcoming cruises.

Edited by Saint Greg

22 minutes ago, nemesees said:

I’m wanting to get a drink package. Does anyone know what the usual daily rates are?

Just to clarify it can't be purchased by the day.  It has to be bought for the length of the cruise, less one day if sailing from Galveston.  There's one other port that starts on day two but someone else will have to post which one 

Just now, bury me at sea said:

Just to clarify it can't be purchased by the day.  It has to be bought for the length of the cruise, less one day if sailing from Galveston.  There's one other port that starts on day two but someone else will have to post which one 

I think that port is New York. But don't hold me to that.

Just now, bury me at sea said:

yes that’s for the whole cruise length. Just giving a number to make it easier to compare.

I think it was NYC that will not start the package until Day 2.

42 minutes ago, nemesees said:

Is $52 a day a good price for a 2 week round trip cruise to SanDiego to Hawaii? This is for October 2021 so that’s pretty far in advance.

It's a good price, but that's a lot of drinking for 2 weeks.   I usually only buy it for 7 day cruises.  For two week cruises, I buy bottles for the stateroom instead. 

53 minutes ago, nemesees said:

yes that’s for the whole cruise length. Just giving a number to make it easier to compare.

I think it was NYC that will not start the package until Day 2.

Yes, it is NYC on Day 2.

Karen

2 hours ago, nemesees said:

since no one else said it, did you even check Carnival's website? Yes there is much valuable information on CC, but...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coevan said:

since no one else said it, did you even check Carnival's website? Yes there is much valuable information on CC, but...

I, also, fully agree on going to an original source for potentially the best details, but Carnival's web site (and its ferkakta marketing team) sometimes continues to offer incorrect information about products, including the Cheers! offering.

4 hours ago, nemesees said:

Is $52 a day a good price for a 2 week round trip cruise to SanDiego to Hawaii? This is for October 2021 so that’s pretty far in advance.

So no sales? I'm booked on rcl and everything is on sale right now. Steak dinner? Drinks $41 pppd.

They had  miss print of $18 pppd that a lot lost with the canc cruises. 

I'm surprised carnival doesnt run sales. 

Btw with carnival cheers I believe every adult in the cabin has to sign up. If there are 2 of you, both have to sign up to prevent sharing 

I'm not a big drinker and the free drinks at parties enough. The pkg would be lost on me, just surprised they dont ever run sales. I'm diamond on rcl so get all the free drinks I'd want. This weekend rcl drink pkg sale. Odd carnival doesnt do this. I never paid attention.

20200524_203557293.jpeg

Edited by firefly333

Yes I’m also booke with RCL and they run occasional sales which right now is at $44pp/pd Which is the lowest price I’ve seen anywhere, so was wondering if Carnival has sales like that or if this $52pp/pd is the lowest it may get.

Of course Carnival website is not going to tell you when they run the special sales in advance.

Anyway, most likely I will reserve the package at that rate and if the price drops More, I can always repurchase the package.

The only thing I remember seeing is on the one ship, going to be 2 where they brew beer they have refillable flasks at red frog. Was it vista I was on?

The best I remember seeing was a especially cheap happy hour one sail away, but nothing to depend on.

Alchemy bar does martini testing, I'm think 3 not huge ones for $18. Fills up and not in planner. Pick 3 from a menu of 6. 

Same bar has a class to teach how to do mixed drinks with liberal samples. You get a certificate lol. Also never advertised. 

Chefs table probably not your cup of tea, starts with champagne with free flowing wine during dinner.

I'd rather pick and choose, but as I said I'm not a big drinker.

Sports bar had a special on some kind of bucket of beer. I don't know what's on your ship. 

I've seen codes for excursions before you leave but dont remember discount cheers codes.

11 hours ago, firefly333 said:

So no sales? I'm booked on rcl and everything is on sale right now. Steak dinner? Drinks $41 pppd.

Btw with carnival cheers I believe every adult in the cabin has to sign up. If there are 2 of you, both have to sign up to prevent sharing 

I'm not a big drinker and the free drinks at parties enough. The pkg would be lost on me, just surprised they dont ever run sales. I'm diamond on rcl so get all the free drinks I'd want. This weekend rcl drink pkg sale. Odd carnival doesnt do this. I never paid attention.

20200524_203557293.jpeg

Carnival recently ran sales on cruise cash and Cheers. 20% off, depending on your sail date. I am sure others will pop up. Excursions and spa products are offered quite often. 

21 hours ago, naxer said:

It's a good price, but that's a lot of drinking for 2 weeks.   I usually only buy it for 7 day cruises.  For two week cruises, I buy bottles for the stateroom instead. 

It really depends on what you figure you'll be drinking daily.  Cheers also includes non-alcoholic drinks, like fancy coffees, milkshakes, energy drinks which all add up as well, cost-wise.  I would look at a Carnival drink menu and tally up what you estimate you and who is in your cabin will drink.  We have purchased bottles of vodka and rum for our room, but you also need to factor in mixers, either bringing enough on board or purchasing. Just food (or drink) for thought🙂.

6 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Why do the packages not start until day 2 out of Galveston and NY? 

Galveston cant drink until international waters  though I know shops and stuff do open soon after, that night, just later

Well actually I think you can drink while in Galveston... they have fun ship drinks. I think perhaps it has to be liquor made in texas? Someone is sure to know, but I know you can drink in port before ship leaves

Edited by firefly333

6 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

First, what Joe said.

Second, not 100% sure about NY.  There are a couple of different issues in Texas.  One is a restriction on what can be sold at all (the bars literally restock on day 2 when in international waters) and Texas has a law against anything resembling an all-you-can-drink situation.

Cruisers can buy a la carte alcoholic drinks on day 1, but the selection is limited.

The good news is that of you decide Cheers works for you, you're not charged for embarkation day.

1 minute ago, Heymarco said:

Thanks all, that’s very helpful! How long after departure do the ships take to hit international waters out of Galveston? Doing our first Galveston cruise in Nov and a Pina Colada comes to mind. 😀

Easily by dinner time.  Lots of mixed drinks can be purchased when you step on the ship.  I think you can enjoy a Pina Colada immediately.

11 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

Easily by dinner time.  Lots of mixed drinks can be purchased when you step on the ship.  I think you can enjoy a Pina Colada immediately.

I think the only limit would be what brand of liquor they put in it.

But I'm sure they are pushing drinks when you walk onto the ship in Galveston.

6 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

The good news is that of you decide Cheers works for you, you're not charged for embarkation day.

No, that's good news for Carnival.   Embarkation day is when many people want to drink.  It's  your first day on the ship and you want to break in Cheers properly. Between noon and midnight, that gives you a good 12 hours to knock back 10 + drinks.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 9:27 PM, firefly333 said:

20200524_203557293.jpeg

Although there have been some exceptions recently as previously mentioned, in general Carnival’s prices are pretty static while RCI’s prices are constantly changing, often on a daily basis. I prefer Carnival’s pricing since when cruising with RCI I feel obligated to check for price changes every day looking for a better deal. On the other hand, I prefer RCI’s drink package, which is unlimited compared to Carnival’s 15 drink limit (alcohol) with Cheers. 

16 hours ago, Heymarco said:

I was told for NYC (Manhattan) there are tax laws. You can drink on first day but have to pay taxes. To avoid confusion, the package starts on second day of cruise.

I don’t know Galveston’s excuse.