Cruising April 4,2021

hinkle

Just booked this cruise and hope it is not canceled. I hope to see Aruba. If anyone has been to the southern Caribbean, can you give me any information about snorkeling? It will be a long 315 days. Also, if someone has information about possible needing documentation regarding COVID-19 for the cruise, I would like that. 

Hinkle, check out the Port of Call sub-forums for the Caribbean.  It has a wealth of information on things to do in each port including Aruba.  As far as the subject of cruise lines, ports of call and documentation concerning the virus you won't be able to get a good answer on that as this point.  That's all TBD (to be determined) by the government(s) and the cruise lines.

Here is a link to the Caribbean/Caribbean ports I mentioned:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/456-caribbean/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Até said:

Bonaire is arguably the best snorkeling on that itinerary.  Look into Woodwind, easy walk to get to from the ship and fantastic experience.  They book less than 20 people and fill up early.

https://www.woodwindbonaire.com/

We booked with them this past January based on recommendations like yours, and I’m sorry to say that the experience was disappointing.  The catamaran was overcrowded; there was virtually no room to move.  Also, while 20- and 30- somethings took up some of the more comfortable seating, no effort was made to allow older guests to be able to sit other than directly down on the deck, which made it very difficult for some folks to get up.  The in-water experience was better in terms of organization, but I was surprised that we did not see more fish; the reef is in decline. In speaking afterwards with some folks who have been snorkeling in Bonaire for years, they said that the snorkeling there just isn’t what it used to be.   Woodwind did serve an excellent lunch on the way back to the dock. 

Maybe we just had bad luck that day with the boat because Ulf was not on board, who knows. 

Edited by Turtles06

All the snorkeling in Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao is right along the shore. No need to take a tour. Bring your own mask. Spend the money on a good one it is worth it. Just research the beaches and transportation options as ColeThornton mentioned. Aruba snorkeling is all on the West side of the island. Usually the wind blows from the East so you have calm and clear water. If there is a West wind don't  even bother snorkeling, the water will be silty and a little rough.

We have been to Aruba and Curacao.  We liked Curacao more than Aruba.  Both are good for a day visit on a cruise.  We don't snorkel, but we learned on Aruba that the ocean currents on the north side of that island are dangerous.  Check that out before you go snorkeling and be safe.

No one snorkels on the north side of Aruba.  Try Red Sail Sports on Eagle Beach if you don't want to take a boat ride to snorkel but the wreck of the Antilla (within sight of the hotels) is worth a boat trip.  Been there twice scuba diving and loved it. 

There is also a fabulous reef (Bari Reef) just off shore on Bonaire that is an easy swim from shore and is one of the most colorful reefs you'll ever see.  Snorkeling in Curacao is not as easy.