Select price vs saver

Vampiress88

27 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Evening Casual

Stylish resort or leisurewear is ideal for Evening Casual nights, for example casual separates or dresses for ladies and open-neck polo shirts and casual long trousers (not shorts or 3/4 length trousers) for men. A jacket and smart trousers can be worn but are not compulsory. T-shirts are also acceptable but should not have any offensive symbols or language on them. Smart dark denim is also fine, but not trainers, football shirts or tracksuits. Please see below examples/ideas.

Black Tie

Black Tie nights foster a rather special atmosphere on-board and we know that our guests adore dressing up and it has long been a part of the P&O Cruises experience, adding a touch of glamour and a real sense of occasion to evenings at sea. Seeing an entire ship full of people transformed into their finery is quite something to behold. Ladies wear glamorous evening wear including cocktail dresses, ball gowns or even smart trouser suits. For men, dinner jackets or tuxedos are the norm, but a dark lounge or business suit and tie can be worn as an alternative. You can also wear formal national dress and military uniform.

even though I’ve read this on p&o a million times i still forget what to wear and what’s acceptable. 
I find it a tad difficult as all the “examples” on the website is not to my 30s age range but more to 50-60s. 

I do hope p&o update it a little for Iona maybe

8 hours ago, Scratchrat said:

Ah, thankyou! Would have taken me ages to work out that acronym!

I love trying new things, I don't really do fish/steak at home so I usually do those on cruises. The food on P&O looks exceptional. 

My biggest worry about P&O so far has been etiquette. I'm all for rules and dressing up nicely but nothing is worse than the feeling of being watched/judged and tutted at, so I truly hope people exaggerate when they say this happens in the restaurants and bars, I want to relax and enjoy my meals rather than be scrutinised for outfit and/or menu choices haha!

I wouldn't call P&O's food exceptional, but we find it very good. 

If you dress fairly smartly, nobody will bat an eyelid. 

The only tutting I have ever seen is if someone turns up scruffy on formal night and is allowed in. 

P&O passengers in general, are decent, friendly people. 

Anyway, I suspect Iona will be a lot more laid back and I for one am looking forward to the challenge... 😊

Andy 

2 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

even though I’ve read this on p&o a million times i still forget what to wear and what’s acceptable. 
I find it a tad difficult as all the “examples” on the website is not to my 30s age range but more to 50-60s. 

See this is exactly me.

I'm not "low brow" but I don't own any polo shirts and smart trousers.Not many people in their 30's generally do. When was the last time I even saw a polo shirt? 😛

I wear T-shirts and Jeans with trainers but they are always smart and nice, nothing scruffy. 

I'm in a very good job and so is my partner, but we just don't dress that way. I understand though that we chose to sail with P&O and so if they have a dress code, we will abide by it 🙂 Not expecting them to change the rules just for us.

I do think the dress code is more aimed at the older generation but then again, I'm sure most of the passengers are of that age and there is nothing wrong with that at all!

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Evening Casual

Stylish resort or leisurewear is ideal for Evening Casual nights, for example casual separates or dresses for ladies and open-neck polo shirts and casual long trousers (not shorts or 3/4 length trousers) for men. A jacket and smart trousers can be worn but are not compulsory. T-shirts are also acceptable but should not have any offensive symbols or language on them. Smart dark denim is also fine, but not trainers, football shirts or tracksuits. Please see below examples/ideas.

Black Tie

Black Tie nights foster a rather special atmosphere on-board and we know that our guests adore dressing up and it has long been a part of the P&O Cruises experience, adding a touch of glamour and a real sense of occasion to evenings at sea. Seeing an entire ship full of people transformed into their finery is quite something to behold. Ladies wear glamorous evening wear including cocktail dresses, ball gowns or even smart trouser suits. For men, dinner jackets or tuxedos are the norm, but a dark lounge or business suit and tie can be worn as an alternative. You can also wear formal national dress and military uniform.

Has this changed as when I looked at the website, they didn't mention T-shirts being okay.

12 minutes ago, Scratchrat said:

See this is exactly me.

I'm not "low brow" but I don't own any polo shirts and smart trousers.Not many people in their 30's generally do. When was the last time I even saw a polo shirt? 😛

I wear T-shirts and Jeans with trainers but they are always smart and nice, nothing scruffy. 

I'm in a very good job and so is my partner, but we just don't dress that way. I understand though that we chose to sail with P&O and so if they have a dress code, we will abide by it 🙂 Not expecting them to change the rules just for us.

I do think the dress code is more aimed at the older generation but then again, I'm sure most of the passengers are of that age and there is nothing wrong with that at all!

Battles rage on these forums about formal nights. It's very much an age thing, and older cruisers tend to want to stick to it. The new,  younger,  generation replacing them tend not to. 

I'm with you. I think it's crazy and outdated.  And I'm in my 70s!

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Battles rage on these forums about formal nights. It's very much an age thing, and older cruisers tend to want to stick to it. The new,  younger,  generation replacing them tend not to. 

I'm with you. I think it's crazy and outdated.  And I'm in my 70s!

My view on dress code is generally simple. 

If what someone you don't know is wearing ruins your meal, you've got issues that a good suit wont fix.

When I'm at dinner with my partner, my attention is on them and my holiday, not what the Johnsons are wearing on table 12.

That being said, I do often admire how nice people look when they make an effort but, honey, I ain't never wanted to be no sheep. 🙂

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Scratchrat said:

See this is exactly me.

my hubby has more trainers than me. He’s obsessed and they are all spotless. But we only use trainers throughout the day not at night. You’d probably get told at the mdr and to be honest you only need one pair  if your not wearing them often. 

don’t find many moan. I think manners speak more than clothes do. 

I just don’t like to wear a dress but I feel that I should when on the cruise. 

Harry are you not going on the Iona? 

56 minutes ago, Scratchrat said:

See this is exactly me.

0E5BD9ED-4B11-43D5-A6A4-FCEAA4F3CBB6.thumb.png.97f05b856297b3a2d901dbeace7731bb.png

like this t-shirt under a shirt but he does the bottom buttons up and wears boots. 

does do suit for the proper formal tho

7 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

my hubby has more trainers than me. He’s obsessed and they are all spotless. But we only use trainers throughout the day not at night. You’d probably get told at the mdr and to be honest you only need one pair  if your not wearing them often. 

don’t find many moan. I think manners speak more than clothes do. 

I just don’t like to wear a dress but I feel that I should when on the cruise. 

Harry are you not going on the Iona? 

Not for a while,  Vamp.  Holidays out of the question for now. Plenty to do at home though. I do like the larger ships though.

Glad your husband kept his job, by the way - and that the cycling lessons went well!

Harry 

11 hours ago, Scratchrat said:

When was the last time I even saw a polo shirt? 😛

I've got loads of them!  But then I'm probably a different generation!  Funnily enough, years ago  at work I said I was going to change into polo shirt for whatever reason, and some chap asked me whether I played polo!  For me though, on ship I only wear them during the day.  T'other holidays, polo shirts and shorts are my go to for an evening out.

14 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

See this is exactly me.

Both of you stop stressing, for smart casual nights if you are wearing what you feel looks smart and casual, a step up from the down the pub look, then on P&O you will be fine.

For black tie night a dinner jacket or a dark suit for men is fine, ladies can generally get away with anything that looks a bit special, from dresses, tops and skirts or slacks, and if that is too fancy for you there is always the buffet, or at least there used to be not sure how this will look once we are back.

In fact everyone will be so glad to get back cruising that I doubt anyone will notice.

When was the last time I even saw a polo shirt? 😛

Not sure I understand that remark - virtually every store I go to (pre lock down) from House of Fraser, to Debenhams to Primark has hundreds in stock, and men of all ages seem to wear them. What do men wear instead of them in your part of the world?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Not sure I understand that remark - virtually every store I go to (pre lock down) from House of Fraser, to Debenhams to Primark has hundreds in stock, and men of all ages seem to wear them. What do men wear instead of them in your part of the world?

I wear T-shirts and Jeans. If I'm going somewhere nice, I'll sometimes put a shirt over the t-shirt but not buttoned up.

Polo shirts to me are for golfers or country club members, I do see them in the shops but don't see anyone my age buying or wearing them.

Edited by Scratchrat

14 minutes ago, wowzz said:

my hubby only wears polo shirts (had to google them too) for work as it’s part of his uniform. Otherwise he doesn’t have them. There are in the shops that we use though

12 minutes ago, Scratchrat said:

I wear T-shirts and Jeans. If I'm going somewhere nice, I'll sometimes put a shirt over the t-shirt but not buttoned up.

Polo shirts to me are for golfers or country club members, I do see them in the shops but don't see anyone my age buying or wearing them.

Perhaps it's just where you live. I see them everywhere I travel, and the likes of H&M, Primark etc wouldn't stock them if the younger generation didn't buy them.

14 minutes ago, Scratchrat said:

mine also tends to wear these. Not with a t-shirt though and definitely buttoned up 😂 

EF35AAD5-C65B-422C-9861-44EB145B6C95.thumb.png.48b4cb1dad79228b521ae714bf782839.png

6 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

mine also tends to wear these. Not with a t-shirt though and definitely buttoned up 😂 

imageproxy.php?img=&key=6ee4bfcebcfde1cbEF35AAD5-C65B-422C-9861-44EB145B6C95.thumb.png.48b4cb1dad79228b521ae714bf782839.png

I tend to wear shirts like those more than polo shirts these days, but I still see loads of blokes of all ages and sizes in polo shirts.

8 minutes ago, Scratchrat said:

I live in Cardiff, Wales. Most people here wear pretty casual clothing. Lots of T-shirts, Jeans, shorts and rugby gear!

Rugby shirts are just polo shirts with long sleeves!

5 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I had to Google polo shirts too.  Stopped wearing them at least 10 years ago, when I suspect they were called something else.

Surprised to see that T-shirts are now acceptable, but it makes sense.  What’s the real difference, in reality?

Exactly Harry!

I don't care what other people are wearing as long as it covers their body and isn't offensive. (No F words on it for example)