Select price vs saver

Vampiress88

26 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Although I like Indian food, I'm not fond of kedgeree.  Would much prefer my Wetherspoons avocado & salmon muffin.

And a pint of Doom to wash it down?

The vast majority of UK curryhouses do a range of dishes I've never even heard of.Times are changing,your Saturday night after the pub vindaloos etc are now pushed to the back of the menu.I've mentioned before but we have at least 40 Indian restaurants and takeaways in 3 mile radius of our home and everyone has a different menu.

I love kedgeree. The one I make is lovely and we also had one from somewhere that I can’t remember which was lovely which was why I started making it. I haven’t made one in over a year though I don’t think. Anyway I digress 

I do not like the one on p&o. I was super excited to try it and nope. Won’t try it again. 

the best thing I had for breakfast in the MDR was the omelette they made me. Was beautiful. 

I didn’t rate the buffet for breakfast and 

I’ve said this before but I just cannot do snotty eggs. Every poached egg hubby got was brilliant. Every one I got was snotty. And no he didn’t share his with me even though I moaned. 

2 hours ago, ToxM said:

Pop a poached egg on there and you got a great dish, and dead easy to do!

I never understood why Eggs Benedict was even considered something that should be a special dish in the last 10 years... 

It should be a staple imo. 

It is or was in the buffet, you could always request one from the egg station.

21 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It is or was in the buffet, you could always request one from the egg station.

If it was from the buffet it should be well cooked as it could have been there for an hour or so.

34 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

No the eggs were freshly poached from the part cooked ones they use for all poached eggs.

Is that the nice fresh ones they cook overnight, put in ice water and then reheat as opposed to the ones where they break the egg and cook it in boiling water right in front of your eyes. I like the nice fresh scrambled eggs where they freshly rip the top off the carton. I don't like the omelette where they freshly rip the top off the carton.........,🤔

That is why I always choose fried eggs for breakfast in MDR because you know they are the nearest to "freshly" cooked as poached can be done hours before and pt in ice water and then warmed up in hot water and scrambled/omelettes made from carton eggs.....yuk no thanks. It is a question what they do first in the kitchens poached eggs or the toast lol.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

That is why I always choose fried eggs for breakfast in MDR because you know they are the nearest to "freshly" cooked as poached can be done hours before and pt in ice water and then warmed up in hot water and scrambled/omelettes made from carton eggs.....yuk no thanks. It is a question what they do first in the kitchens poached eggs or the toast lol.

I think they do the toast the night before, always cold, always hard and always disappointing 

Andy 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I think they do the toast the night before, always cold, always hard and always disappointing 

Andy 

Chances are they more than likely do that with poached eggs and drop them in ice water and then when ordered next morning just drop them in hot water for a short time to make them hot.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Have only done the tiffin box lunch thing at Sindhu, really enjoyed the having a selection of items.  I know that a lot of people swear by the Indian evening buffet.  At the risk of sounding like a bof, I don't find it as good as when we first started cruising with PandO.  

I completely agree with this, on our first P&O cruise in 2004 you had to make a reservation for the Indian evening buffet. The food was lovely and the ambience was great with waiters going round the tables happy to chat about the food choices.

16 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

In the buffet it's always warm, but it may be warmed up rather than freshly toasted.

It's kept under them hot lights in the buffet, but in the mdr it comes out on the toast rack already hard and stone cold... 

Andy 

4 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

It's kept under them hot lights in the buffet, but in the mdr it comes out on the toast rack already hard and stone cold... 

Andy 

To be fair, on our recent cruise on Oceana,  the toast at breakfast in the buffet was always fresh, with the "chef" constantly putting bread through the toaster.  In most cases you actually had to wait for the toast to come out of the toaster.  Just as well that the toast was hot, as the butter pats  were so cold that you had to put them on the hot toast for 5 minutes before they were warm enough to spread. 

When I was on Azura 4 years ago, the breakfast toast was awful. So dry it was incapable of soaking up egg or baked bean sauce 😁  I suspect it's factory made. I would ask for one round of plain white bread, they would supply 2 rounds, wrapped in a paper napkin.

If the hull of the Titanic was plated in P & O toast, it would be sailing today .......

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

To be fair, this is after all mass catering, and it simply isn’t possible to do any better.

I'd have to disagree, we've used Costa and Marella in the past. That's five different ships and the toast has been good quality and freshly made. If Azura cooks had made the toast on say, the previous day, there would  still be some moisture content in the bread. There's no moisture, it's as dry as brick. This experience was 4 years ago, maybe they don't buy in pre-toasted factory bread any more and things have improved.

7 minutes ago, Bertie Doe said:

I'd have to disagree, we've used Costa and Marella in the past. That's five different ships and the toast has been good quality and freshly made. If Azura cooks had made the toast on say, the previous day, there would  still be some moisture content in the bread. There's no moisture, it's as dry as brick. This experience was 4 years ago, maybe they don't buy in pre-toasted factory bread any more and things have improved.

As I said earlier,  the toast on Oceana, in the buffet at least, was toasted while you waited. Couldn't have been any fresher. 

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

I give up with toast on cruise ships.We go for the fresh crusty rolls or bread.They had some lovely bread on Marella that you cut yourself.

Sadly I doubt you will be doing that again anytime soon 😞

• Like 2