Select price vs saver

Vampiress88

20 hours ago, zap99 said:

Same here,rarely more than 30mins. We also like the freedom of deciding where we want to eat, not just the time.

I'm assuming all of the MDR's serve the same menu? So deciding where is more an aesthetic thing?

12 minutes ago, Scratchrat said:

I'm assuming all of the MDR's serve the same menu? So deciding where is more an aesthetic thing?

Same menus.  Same environment.  Just a question of whether you choose to have a fixed time every night, with the same dining companions and the same serving staff, or freedom to dine at any time, with different people and different serving staff.

We much prefer the freedom to pick a convenient time each night, and enjoy meeting different people - though I do see the advantage of having the same serving staff.

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Same menus.  Same environment.  Just a question of whether you choose to have a fixed time every night, with the same dining companions and the same serving staff, or freedom to dine at any time, with different people and different serving staff.

We much prefer the freedom to pick a convenient time each night, and enjoy meeting different people - though I do see the advantage of having the same serving staff.

I'm more meaning on iona, considering she has 4 MDR' and all are Freedom dining.  Is it the same no matter where you go?

1 hour ago, Scratchrat said:

I'm more meaning on iona, considering she has 4 MDR' and all are Freedom dining.  Is it the same no matter where you go?

I believe Iona's MDRs will have specific signature dishes, but in the main the menus will be identical.

2 hours ago, Scratchrat said:

Sindhu, epicurian, glass house. You can often get same-day bookings.

22 hours ago, No pager thank you said:

My understanding is that 80% or more of passengers prefer Freedom dining, as quoted from restaurant managers.

This struggles to align with the design of the smaller ships with two similarly sized MDRs. 

However, with the switch to all Freedom on Iona, my guess would be that Club Dining will either be slowly phased out or reduced to a single sitting.

Those who do want to attend as a group at the same traditional time each evening are perfectly able to do so.

More of the dreaded pagers on the way!

I'll be very interested to see what happens on Iona.

We quite like the pagers. It gives us a chance to get a drink,or coffee. Sorry☹️

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Scratchrat said:

Sindhu looks incredible! I am definitely booking there 😄

We book in advance probably 50% of the time, but book on the day when we ( Dear wife  ) makes her mind up.🦞

18 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We book in advance probably 50% of the time, but book on the day when we ( Dear wife  ) makes her mind up.🦞

Sindhu is very good, we always eat there at least once each week that we are on board.  We usually check what is on the MDR menu and if it is a M-PW menu we go and book Sindhu as soon as we leave breakfast.

Just now, Josy1953 said:

Sindhu is very good, we always eat there at least once each week that we are on board.  We usually check what is on the MDR menu and if it is a M-PW menu we go and book Sindhu as soon as we leave breakfast.

Forgive me, what's a M-PW menu?

8 minutes ago, Scratchrat said:

Forgive me, what's a M-PW menu?

Marco Pierre White.  If you like strong, bold flavours and unusual meals then give it a go.  Have a look at the menu on the day to decide.

However many people choose to dodge the gala dinners and book either Sindhu, Beach House, or the Epicurean for example. 

From observation, I do find the speciality restaurants to be busier when Marco is on the menu in the main dining room.  A couple of the speciality restaurants are "endorsed" by him, but not the above three.

Just now, No pager thank you said:

Marco Pierre White.  If you like strong, bold flavours and unusual meals then give it a go.  Have a look at the menu on the day to decide.

However many people choose to dodge the gala dinners and book either Sindhu, Beach House, or the Epicurean for example. 

From observation, I do find the speciality restaurants to be busier when Marco is on the menu in the main dining room.  A couple of the speciality restaurants are "endorsed" by him, but not the above three.

Ah, thankyou! Would have taken me ages to work out that acronym!

I love trying new things, I don't really do fish/steak at home so I usually do those on cruises. The food on P&O looks exceptional. 

My biggest worry about P&O so far has been etiquette. I'm all for rules and dressing up nicely but nothing is worse than the feeling of being watched/judged and tutted at, so I truly hope people exaggerate when they say this happens in the restaurants and bars, I want to relax and enjoy my meals rather than be scrutinised for outfit and/or menu choices haha!

Always remember that though Marco’s Menu is on the LH side of the menu, there are still plenty of ‘non Marco’ choices listed on the right.

And, if you check beforehand and really feel you wouldn’t find anything you’d enjoy, or if you don’t want to give the tux n ball gown* an airing, there are alternatives - free or paid-for.  Or have your main meal at lunchtime and an evening of full-on enjoying the entertainment, with a snack sometime.

* I jest.  

4 minutes ago, Scratchrat said:

Ah, thankyou! Would have taken me ages to work out that acronym!

I love trying new things, I don't really do fish/steak at home so I usually do those on cruises. The food on P&O looks exceptional. 

My biggest worry about P&O so far has been etiquette. I'm all for rules and dressing up nicely but nothing is worse than the feeling of being watched/judged and tutted at, so I truly hope people exaggerate when they say this happens in the restaurants and bars, I want to relax and enjoy my meals rather than be scrutinised for outfit and/or menu choices haha!

We have only been on Britannia ( lots of other ships/lines ). We just dress as per that nights theme and have never had a single tut, but would expect a few if we went into the MDR on formal night in flip flops. Australians call them thongs. That may get a tut,or two😁

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eddie99 said:

Always remember that though Marco’s Menu is on the LH side of the menu, there are still plenty of ‘non Marco’ choices listed on the right.

And, if you check beforehand and really feel you wouldn’t find anything you’d enjoy, or if you don’t want to give the tux n ball gown* an airing, there are alternatives - free or paid-for.  Or have your main meal at lunchtime and an evening of full-on enjoying the entertainment, with a snack sometime.

* I jest.  

I quite like Marco's Beef Wellington.

11 hours ago, emam said:

Someone mentioned the Azipod 's earlier (not sure which thread). Are those what makes the noise when coming into port, or are they thrusters or something to push the ship sideways. We usually have an aft inside cabin and I quite like hearing whatever they are, as it lets us know we are docking. 

Off the top of my head, within PandO's fleet, only Arcadia has azipods, so if you can remember which ship it was, then you'll have an idea of whether it was more likely to be thrusters or azipods.

Re azipods & ice-breaking, the Russkies use azipod oil tankers to fill up in the Arctic circle. If necessary they can drive the ship in reverse and use the azipods to smash up the ice.

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We have only been on Britannia ( lots of other ships/lines ). We just dress as per that nights theme and have never had a single tut, but would expect a few if we went into the MDR on formal night in flip flops. Australians call them thongs. That may get a tut,or two😁

To be clear, on Carnival, "Cruise Casual" for most dinners are no shorts or anything offensive so for me I used to wear nice jeans, a t-shirt and nice trainers but I am aware this is not acceptable dress for P&O.

Elegant night on Carnival seems to be the same attire as the P&O Gala night though.

My other half is just sad they can't wear a hoodie 24/7 haha.

2 hours ago, Scratchrat said:

I wouldn’t worry in the least about that. There are some dress rules for formal nights,  but they’re very easy to comply with.

I did stupidly forget my suit on one occasion, but had no problems with a dark red jacket, non matching but smart trousers and a tie. No tutting at all on our table, where I apologised profusely and explained the situation, and only one person on another table apparently tutting. I expected some sort of challenge by the Maitre d’ but not the remotest glance. The alternative was the buffet - no way!

1 hour ago, Scratchrat said:

So for example, on a normal cruise night (not elegant/gala), could I wear a plain black t-shirt with an unbuttoned shirt over the top, with dark jeans? (my normal dinner outfit)

me and hubby basically dress as if we were going out. Dinner concert etc 

he worse just as you describe dark jeans, not his ripped ones, t-shirt and it has a checkered shirt that goes over it but he wears it with these boot/shoe things. 
I just wore a nice top with black trousers and heels. 

for the formal though we try. I wear a dress which I don’t particularly like and he wears a suit. 
looks good on photos. 

Just now, Vampiress88 said:

me and hubby basically dress as if we were going out. Dinner concert etc 

he worse just as you describe dark jeans, not his ripped ones, t-shirt and it has a checkered shirt that goes over it but he wears it with these boot/shoe things. 
I just wore a nice top with black trousers and heels. 

for the formal though we try. I wear a dress which I don’t particularly like and he wears a suit. 
looks good on photos. 

That's perfect 🙂

I just don't like wearing buttoned up shirts. I don't have the figure for them 😛

6 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I believe Iona's MDRs will have specific signature dishes, but in the main the menus will be identical.

sounds good John 

how are you managing with all this lockdown. 

cant wait for actually photos of the Iona to go on. 

remind me aren’t you on iona too next year. I keep forgetting 

Evening Casual

Stylish resort or leisurewear is ideal for Evening Casual nights, for example casual separates or dresses for ladies and open-neck polo shirts and casual long trousers (not shorts or 3/4 length trousers) for men. A jacket and smart trousers can be worn but are not compulsory. T-shirts are also acceptable but should not have any offensive symbols or language on them. Smart dark denim is also fine, but not trainers, football shirts or tracksuits. Please see below examples/ideas.

Black Tie

Black Tie nights foster a rather special atmosphere on-board and we know that our guests adore dressing up and it has long been a part of the P&O Cruises experience, adding a touch of glamour and a real sense of occasion to evenings at sea. Seeing an entire ship full of people transformed into their finery is quite something to behold. Ladies wear glamorous evening wear including cocktail dresses, ball gowns or even smart trouser suits. For men, dinner jackets or tuxedos are the norm, but a dark lounge or business suit and tie can be worn as an alternative. You can also wear formal national dress and military uniform.