Mighty Cruise Ships Smithsonian Channel

dkjretired

Just an FYI  for those who are missing cruising.   Smithsonian Channel produced a series on Mighty Cruise ships a couple of years ago, don't think they are doing any new programs, however they are showing this series on Friday Mornings at 9:00A.M.   Today they are doing one of the Viking ships however at some point they will probably show their episodes on the Solstice and Azamara Journey.   Smithsonian is channel 570 on Direct TV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

Just an FYI  for those who are missing cruising.   Smithsonian Channel produced a series on Mighty Cruise ships a couple of years ago, don't think they are doing any new programs, however they are showing this series on Friday Mornings at 9:00A.M.   Today they are doing one of the Viking ships however at some point they will probably show their episodes on the Solstice and Azamara Journey.   Smithsonian is channel 570 on Direct TV.

I hope they make some new episodes as they are quite good.  Would love to see one on Edge class.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I hope they make some new episodes as they are quite good.  Would love to see one on Edge class.

I doubt the Smithsonian Channel is continuing to make these episodes.  In July of 2018 we were on the Oceania Marina and there were Smithsonian camera and production crews on board filming for Mighty Ships. Many of us asked when the program would be televised and they didn't know. I have looked on the channel many, many times and that episode was never shown.  

1 hour ago, Loracpin2 said:

I doubt the Smithsonian Channel is continuing to make these episodes.  In July of 2018 we were on the Oceania Marina and there were Smithsonian camera and production crews on board filming for Mighty Ships. Many of us asked when the program would be televised and they didn't know. I have looked on the channel many, many times and that episode was never shown.  

I know that episode was aired last year on the Discovery Channel in Canada. You can likely stream it if you download their app.

A couple of the episodes of Mighty Ships are also about cruise ships. The non-cruise ship episodes are fascinating in their own way. 

I believe that the Oceania Marina episode was Season 3. Currently, only Season 2 is available on my Hulu subscription.

A bit OT:

Another very interesting show on Smithsonian is Mighty Trains. I'd love to travel long-distance that way someday. 

Even more off topic:

The Aerial (place) shows are fascinating and visually stunning!

10 hours ago, MamaFej said:

A couple of the episodes of Mighty Ships are also about cruise ships. The non-cruise ship episodes are fascinating in their own way. 

I agree with you about the non-cruise ship episodes. It is amazing to see so many unique vessels, built to do things you would never have thought of.  Just fascinating. 

Although I love cruising, I came to be bored with Mighty Cruise Ships, because the episodes were so repetitive. Yes, there are physical differences among ships, and it’s always fun to see a ship you’ve been on, but the episodes mostly focused on the same things (look — they’re loading ten thousand eggs and fifty crates of oranges!).  And they almost always tried to create some made up drama, or hint at some disaster about to happen but of course never did.  

YMMV of course. 

• Like 2

There is also a Smithsonian Channel app for devices like Roku.  There are free and paid versions that affect how much content you see, but it might be an option depending on what you have.  If you subscribe to cable, that often gives you access to more content.

18 hours ago, mom says said:

I know that episode was aired last year on the Discovery Channel in Canada. You can likely stream it if you download their app.

Thanks. Going to check now since there isn't much else to do. 

On 5/29/2020 at 9:14 PM, MamaFej said:

I believe that the Oceania Marina episode was Season 3. Currently, only Season 2 is available on my Hulu subscription.

A bit OT:

Another very interesting show on Smithsonian is Mighty Trains. I'd love to travel long-distance that way someday. 

Even more off topic:

The Aerial (place) shows are fascinating and visually stunning!

We love this channel and the Mighty Trains and Ariel shows. 

Being a lover of trains and part bird, winners!

• Like 1