Solo travelers & your bubble

cabincop

So I live alone & travel solo a lot. I’ve heard the term your isolation bubble or people you live with. Meaning those are people you go out with, eat with etc. wondering how cruises will work if we can’t socialize or eat with other cruisers? I just can’t wrap my head around it. Btw I’m cruising next year& hopefully it will be a different situation by then. Happy cruising. 

24 minutes ago, boatseller said:

The bubble is as big or small as you make it.

I’m not sure what you mean. The “bubble” means those you have been isolated with. So if you live alone & travel alone, no one is in your bubble. I enjoy cruising for the social aspect. Having dinner or drinks with new friends. I’m fine with interacting but worry how others will be

I have been cruising solo since 2000, and while I have in the earlier years met some wonderful people on my solo cruises, as time went by, there were also some not so pleasant interactions especially with dining,  so as of recent years have learned to very much enjoy my solo bubble, and while I still do meet some very nice people , as a solo who is getting older at warp speed, I do much enjoy my solo bubble, both with cruising and other types of vacation. Just my perspective though, we are all different and depends on our age and personalities.  Op, do wish you some very pleasant solo cruises to come however you choose to do them.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cabincop said:

I’m not sure what you mean. The “bubble” means those you have been isolated with. So if you live alone & travel alone, no one is in your bubble. I enjoy cruising for the social aspect. Having dinner or drinks with new friends. I’m fine with interacting but worry how others will be

People will still interact. Cruises are great to meet and get to know new people and worst case scenario you'll wear masks and thats it.

22 minutes ago, Comi.uy said:

People will still interact. Cruises are great to meet and get to know new people and worst case scenario you'll wear masks and thats it.

Welp I’ve been on 56 cruises with friends & solo. I won’t go if I have to wear a mask. My next cruise is next April. We shall see. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, boatseller said:

The problem is, though, it's not me making the "bubble". It's the C-19 situation making it necessary. I travel alone too, like many other solo travelers, and have no problem being alone when it's my choice.  

What I don't want is to have to spend all of my time alone on a cruise.  I love meeting people and enjoying the company of others, whether it's sitting by the pool, listening to music or whatever I choose to do.

There are always new people to meet and NCL is very good about arranging solo meetups, but, with these new circumstances, what will be the new norm?  Sitting alone for dinner is one thing, being alone all the time is another. 

And no, I won't cruise if I have to wear a mask 90% of the time... that's not fun. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I hope so too.  Cabincop & I are on the same cruise next year, by then, things should have improved. No masks and maybe a vaccine.

Both would be must haves for me. 

I’m looking forward to our dinners. And I won’t go if we have to wear masks all the time either. Praying things are different next year❣️

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

It's an interesting question.  Hopefully by the time you cruise, people won't have to think so much about keeping within any sort of bubble.  Like social distancing, I don't think it's possible on a cruise.

My thought exactly too

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cabincop said:

I’m fine with interacting but worry how others will be

Ah, gotcha.  The guidance is actually face coverings when social distancing is not possible, but distancing is preferred.  Meaning, people don't always have to be 6' apart.

I have little doubt that there will be enough cruisers who aren't particularly worried about the ccv that social interactions will be mostly normal...with a smidgen more spacing, like every other bar stool or sitting across a cocktail table.  Those would happen anyway in many situations.

8 minutes ago, boatseller said:

The guidance is actually face coverings when social distancing is not possible, but distancing is preferred.  Meaning, people don't always have to be 6' apart.

Is that guidance from NCL?  Have they actually said that cruisers have to wear masks?

I think the issue is, No One wants to go on a cruise if we need to wear a mask! I sure don't, and really, it has nothing to do with whether you're cruising solo or not. Who, in their right mind, would want to need to wear a mask the majority of the time on a cruise.  

Heck, I'd have no problem going on a cruise to nowhere as long as I didn't need to wear a mask and could move about the ship freely. 

I love cruising 😉

• Like 2

14 hours ago, boatseller said:

That's the government guidance.

Can you tell which part of the government says in their guidance that if you wear a mask that social distancing isn't necessary? 

I have not heard that, I have only heard or read that both are needed.

Thanks.

28 minutes ago, Cruisercl said:

Can you tell which part of the government says in their guidance that if you wear a mask that social distancing isn't necessary? 

I have not heard that, I have only heard or read that both are needed.

Thanks.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/about-face-coverings.html

"CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain"

This is why restaurants and some of the smaller low crowd theme parks don't require face coverings.

On 6/2/2020 at 7:54 PM, boatseller said:

How true.  I've been traveling solo for the last few years.  I meet people I really like to hang out with (and just as importantly, want to hang out with me).  We tend to socialize, eat together, drink together, go to shows together, etc.

It can be as many or as few as you desire.  Bubble probably isn't the correct term.  Circle maybe?

• Like 1