Prices on Resumption

Eddie99

Crystal ball time.

WHEN cruising resumes - whenever that might be - and bookings open, how do you see prices in comparison with what we have become used to?

I’m more than happy to have “gut feeling” reactions but if you can “show your working” and give a reason why prices will be higher/lower/unchanged, that will be excellent.

Personally I’m torn between higher because of social distancing and more expensive H&S demands, and lower because the cruise lines need to get all the old cruisers back and recruit new ones.  Who knows?

As you say, who knows?

Operating costs will be higher, passenger numbers smaller, so logically that means higher prices.

Against that, though:

1. They need to tempt people back again after a lot of very negative publicity.

2. There’s not going to be much money around for an awful lot of people, particularly in the younger ITV Saturday night audience they’d decided to target.

3. Prices will reflect not what P&O would like to charge, but what the market will bear.

I’m guessing 2021 could be OK for them because of the hangover in 2020 rebookings, but again, who knows?

Aren’t bookings already open though?

23 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Crystal ball time.

WHEN cruising resumes - whenever that might be - and bookings open, how do you see prices in comparison with what we have become used to?

I’m more than happy to have “gut feeling” reactions but if you can “show your working” and give a reason why prices will be higher/lower/unchanged, that will be excellent.

Personally I’m torn between higher because of social distancing and more expensive H&S demands, and lower because the cruise lines need to get all the old cruisers back and recruit new ones.  Who knows?

Well, you can already see prices for next year, so there is no mystery about future prices.

I'm not quite sure what you are asking.

Edited by wowzz
  • Thanks 1

I suspect that the prices for Summer 2022 cruises due to be released in September, if they are the same as previous years, are being quickly increased to what they originally going to be and an increase of onboard charges i.e. drinks, speciality restaurants and excursions.

14 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Well, you can already see prices for next year, so there is no mystery about future prices.

I'm not quite sure what you are asking.

2022 onwards I guess, tho’ there’s still scope for changes to 2021.  
It would be fascinating to know the booking level for 2021 now compared with the usual level at this time in the preceding year - if that makes sense

I’m obviously not expressing myself too well.  My crystal ball is letting me down 

8 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I've just looked at a March 2022 cruise to move my deposit to and thought the prices were pretty good.  16 night cruise for £1380 pp inside cabin. 

But what was the price of the cruise on release day. My Arcadia cruise in August 2019 has nearly doubled since I booked it on brochure release day in September 2019. Doesnt make the 125% FCC such a bargain if you had to book today and should imagine many prices have increased considerably.

Edited by majortom10

at a guess i would think the majority of people would gladly pay the asking price for a cruise right now .just the need to getaway  and put this terrible time behind us all we would all need to know it is safe to do so .we will be keeping a carefull eye on the prices  as and when cruising restarts

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

But what was the price of the cruise on release day. My Arcadia cruise in August 2019 has nearly doubled since I booked it on brochure release day in September 2019. Doesnt make the 125% FCC such a bargain if you had to book today and should imagine many prices have increased considerably.

But Aurora and Arcadia cruises  always have increased massively from launch price as the cruise date gets nearer.

Edited by terrierjohn

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Sorry my mistake my cruise on Arcadia is in August 2021 and when booked was £1400pp for Select fare and is now over £2300pp for Select fare.

We've 5 cruises booked with P&O between December 2020 and Jan 2022, hence not wanting FCC for our cancelled cruises this year.

I haven't looked at current availability or prices for these cruises, maybe I will tomorrow.

If cruise lines do operate with limited capacity going into 2021 will it be 'first in last out' if they are following social distancing rules?.

I've no idea, just want something to look forward to!

I think the prices in the new brochure will be quite low as normal. Because although there are a lot of FCC they will also want to receive 'new' money from regulars who always book on launch. I also think if they receive required levels the prices will rise very quickly.

I don't think there will be less capacity in 2022/3.