P&O cruise cancelled, double the price next year

Smifkin

Hi all, newbie here. 

My husband and I had a Norway and Iceland cruise booked, with balcony, we got an early saver deal. It cost 

a bit over £2000, it has now been cancelled. The same early saver cruise next year is over £2000 more. I can

get a refund or 125% future credits. Does anyone think the price will drop similar to the deal we was offered 

this year. 

Many thanks

Welcome to cruise critic. Cruise pricing is based on supply & demand. When the ships resume operations, it will be difficult to guess the demand until they eliminate the virus or find a cure/vaccine.

Since most of P&O's business is predominantly UK based, the local economy can also be a factor in the number of pax able to cruise.

Good luck making a decision.

• Like 1

Who knows but I doubt it.  P&O prices like everyone else are largely driven by demand.  2021 cruises have been booked not just by the usual early bookers but also by large numbers of rebookers from 2020 cancellations.  Therefore many cruises are currently showing far higher bookings than would be usual at this time of year.   It could be that bookings will level off once they get going again and if occupancy are not good enough then prices will come down to fill the ships.  So like so much else currently, no one knows.     

Nobody knows what the future holds for cruise fares but one thing is for certain that in general, there is always exceptions, prices of cruises for 2021 have greatly increased since they were first released in September 2019 so it makes the 125% FCC not such great of a deal.

Edited by majortom10

No one knows and this is why people have been advised to avoid vouchers for a value.  If the holiday price increases you need to pay the difference or have to wait for the refund.

Far better to have the cash in your bank to spend as you please rather than a 'promise' which may never be hounoured and may offer very little consumer protection.

Our Iona cruise for the end of August has now gone up by £260 for next year. Same balcony cabin. You can still get a price for this year and it has gone down by about £350. When P&O decide to do a few shakedown cruises this August, we can change our cruise back to this year and save a bomb. That's plan D.🤔

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smifkin said:

Hi all, newbie here. 

My husband and I had a Norway and Iceland cruise booked, with balcony, we got an early saver deal. It cost 

a bit over £2000, it has now been cancelled. The same early saver cruise next year is over £2000 more. I can

get a refund or 125% future credits. Does anyone think the price will drop similar to the deal we was offered 

this year. 

Many thanks

Hi. Yes we were booked on the same cruise and also booked at launch. I took the decision to cancel just  before balance due date as I am already awaiting one refund. I have been looking at prices for the same cruise next  year and  I am hoping that last minute maybe  more affordable. Difficult decision for you. 

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Our Iona cruise for the end of August has now gone up by £260 for next year. Same balcony cabin. You can still get a price for this year and it has gone down by about £350. When P&O decide to do a few shakedown cruises this August, we can change our cruise back to this year and save a bomb. That's plan D.🤔

Sorry I'm a proper newbie, what's a shakedown cruise, like a sale? Does this happen each August? Thank you

4 hours ago, Smifkin said:

Hi all, newbie here. 

this year. 

Many thanks

Welcome to cruise critic.

Personally I would take the refund.

The prices will stay high while people are taking FCC and rebooking next year and the extra price you saw reflects this.

You booked early saver so you didn't mind not having the option for picking cabin,dinner preference or obc so I would wait until final payment for next year(usually 3 months before cruise) and see what deals materialise as people cancel then and only lose their deposit.

Alternatively you could just keep an eye on prices online or TA special offers.

Graham.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

End of August is 3 months away. Could be all over by then.😷

I do like your posts! Otherwise it's all gloom and despondency.

Who knows, time will tell?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoFlyGuy said:

I do like your posts! Otherwise it's all gloom and despondency.

Who knows, time will tell?  

How is it being optimistic? P&O have cancelled all cruises until the middle of October!

Time won't tell - the time is up!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zap99 said:

End of August is 3 months away. Could be all over by then.😷

Zap  - have you not any of the replies to your other posts ? P&O cruises are finished until mid October at the earliest.

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Zap  - have you not any of the replies to your other posts ? P&O cruises are finished until mid October at the earliest.

Things can change. I won't bet on it, but we still buy lottery tickets sometimes.😁

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I was trying to find some witty story to amuse you Wowzz. If you Google P&O news both the Telegraph and Express have the P&O story and have a nice picture of a car ferry.🤔. I doubt we will cruise this year, but............🚢. Goodnight and sweet dreams.

Edited by zap99
Added
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

All the current scheduled cruises have been cancelled until mid October. What's to stop them adding in a couple of UK only test cruises in September or beginning of October? 🤔 if that was something they were planning they'd have had to cancel the original cruises anyway 😉

2 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

All the current scheduled cruises have been cancelled until mid October. What's to stop them adding in a couple of UK only test cruises in September or beginning of October? 🤔 if that was something they were planning they'd have had to cancel the original cruises anyway 😉

Brilliant thinking, perhaps even late August. I wonder if Gary is still available.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

That's my thinking too.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, wowzz said:

How is it being optimistic? P&O have cancelled all cruises until the middle of October!

Time won't tell - the time is up!

Fill that glass till its half full wowzz, then try to avoid drinking any so it doesn't become half emtpty.😇

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Fill that glass till its half full wowzz, then try to avoid drinking any so it doesn't become half emtpty.😇

I don't think it's a matter of half full, or half empty,  it's just a matter of fact. 

2 hours ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Quite an insite by a newbie, where can we book?

Maybe Zap99 can help?

Where is Gary going!

• Haha 1