Can you tell me about obstructed balcony?

We will be on Odyssey of the Seas next July in Greece.  It is a $741 savings for an obstructed balcony as opposed to a "regular" one. Is the life boat the typical obstruction? All of the rooms are on deck 6 if that helps.

Thank you! 

7 minutes ago, firstsailor said:

We will be on Odyssey of the Seas next July in Greece.  It is a $741 savings for an obstructed balcony as opposed to a "regular" one. Is the life boat the typical obstruction? All of the rooms are on deck 6 if that helps.

Thank you! 

Two types of obstruction with those balconies.  If you are between the davits you Look out with no obstruction. If you get a cabin with a davit in front of it it is a big obstruction.  There is a chart for Quantum and Anthem to figure out where to book but I’m not sure if it applies to Spectrum and Odyssey. 

EDAA11C2-1B61-4121-A868-2BB0F5055D1E.jpeg

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Thanks 1

We sailed deck 6 on Anthem with a partial obstruction from a Davit and were really disappointed on how much of the ocean was obstructed. I think we saved a few hundred making that choice. 

For 700$+ savings I guess I could live with it. 

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I don't understand why after being able to design V, F, and O class ships without obstructed balconies they could not pull it off with the Q class.

They designed Quantum class ships to offer the highest balcony cabin to inside rooms ratio. And its a ridiculously huge number of balcony cabins on that ship. Something like 2000+ balcony cabins IIRC. One would think that through the designing process, some passengers would have to be restricted full view, with partial views instead to have that number be as high so that they can better sell the product. 

7 hours ago, ronbe65 said:

Money.

We get lifeboats and davits instead of promenade deck.

They get obstructed balconies for which they can charge more than for ocean view or inside cabins.

Quantum Class Cabins Tour and Guide.

Happy cruising!

7 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Thanks very much for the video link.

Just bear in mind that "Ultra Quantum" class, which so far is Spectrum and Odyssey, is not identical to Quantum class.

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

I didn't even know that there was an "ultra" Quantum class.

RCI marketing at work - just a few slight changes over "regular" Q class -the most obvious is the open multilevel MDR.

Edited by Biker19

I found this website (you will need to go down to the middle of the page) and select the line, then the ship.  

It provides some pictures and with some ships, if provides you with a list of rooms designated as obstructed.  Some of the newest ships, they provide will you an idea of what the obstructed room deck looks like (take note of the camera next to the room on the deck layout).  The check tool tells you cabins to avoid.  https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/index.php

Edited by Plum Happy

On 6/14/2020 at 12:16 AM, ronbe65 said:

Sure. There are some differences.

More suites, less public space.

As to the obstructed balconies - no improvements.

Happy cruising!

I have not sailed on the Spectrum, so I have no direct experience with Ultra Quantum class obstructed balconies.

If they are the same, do you know why on Anthem (for example), only Deck 6 cabins are classified as having "obstructed balconies" (except for those few all the way forward) but on Odyssey, Deck 7 is chock-full of obstructed balconies?

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

I have not sailed on the Spectrum, so I have no direct experience with Ultra Quantum class obstructed balconies.

If they are the same, do you know why on Anthem (for example), only Deck 6 cabins are classified as having "obstructed balconies" (except for those few all the way forward) but on Odyssey, Deck 7 is chock-full of obstructed balconies?

Odyssey only has the obstructed view on deck 6.  It’s Ovation that has a ton on deck 7.  I’m guessing the Asian/Australian  market really complained and they never changed them for her time here .  Ovation, Quantum and Anthem have the obstructed view forward cabins on 7 and 8.

I’ve seen pictures of the ones on deck 7 on Ovation and other than looking down there is no obstruction.  Great cabins at a great price.  Saved a bundle by booking these for our Alaska trip.  

16 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Odyssey only has the obstructed view on deck 6.  It’s Ovation that has a ton on deck 7.  I’m guessing the Asian/Australian  market really complained and they never changed them for her time here .  Ovation, Quantum and Anthem have the obstructed view forward cabins on 7 and 8.

I’ve seen pictures of the ones on deck 7 on Ovation and other than looking down there is no obstruction.  Great cabins at a great price.  Saved a bundle by booking these for our Alaska trip.  

Crud.  I did it again.  I meant Ovation.  I am booked on both and they are occurring within a few months of each other, and I keep responding incorrectly on those threads.   UGH.  I have graduated from CRS to CRAFT.  😮

3 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Crud.  I did it again.  I meant Ovation.  I am booked on both and they are occurring within a few months of each other, and I keep responding incorrectly on those threads.   UGH.  I have graduated from CRS to CRAFT.  😮

Lol.  Still a really good question as to why the Ovation is the only one to have the obstructed views on deck 7.  

6 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Still a really good question as to why the Ovation is the only one to have the obstructed views on deck 7.

RCI can't be bothered to homogenize the categorization of cabins across the three Q class ships.

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

In addition to the noise, will the lifeboats bang or make noise when the ship sails?  Especially if the water is a little rough?

We had a deck 6 obstructed view balcony in the rear jump out section on Anthem where the lifeboats are very close to the balconies and I don't recall any noise coming from the lifeboats as these are very well secured to prevent movement.

PS, I'am standing on the foot stool so I'm not really 7 ft.plus tall.

P3091659.JPG

Edited by robtulipe

Another thing to consider about obstructed balconies is that you will be on deck 6. From experience, on Quantum, Anthem, and Spectrum... there is a smoking area just below those balconies on the starboard side. Something to consider if you want to spending time on the balcony.