Hope and pray for a TREATMENT.

15 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Once we have a vaccine I don’t think we need testing. I’ll get the vaccine and I don’t have to worry about anyone else having it.

people get the flu shot and still get the flu. Isn't it possible to get a corona vaccine and still get the virus?

I'm certainly no medical doctor and don't play one on the internet either.

I'm just very curious.

4 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

people get the flu shot and still get the flu. Isn't it possible to get a corona vaccine and still get the virus?

That is among the many serious questions concerning virus vaccines that in no way can be answered in 9 months.  How effective? how long lasting? what are the chances or effects of reinfection? can you still be contagious when vaccinated? just to name a few. And let's not get into mutated strains.  But intended or not, it seems it's going to run its course the old fashioned way.  Treatments that address the symptoms and lower the mortality rate might end up being the more practical option.  Whether treatments can be done on board or not? or whether port countries would want the burden?

Edited by naxer
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, MJSailors said:

As someone with respiratory issues, I am leery of any Covid-19 vaccine until a great amount of research is done concerning side effects of such a vaccine. While I do think that a vaccine will mitigate Covid-19 cases world-wide, I will need to be convinced that if I do take the vaccine, I will not experience side effects that may compromise my respiratory system.

Hi MJS

Obviously this is something that you would be discussing with physician, but the decision is typically made based on your particular situation. 

Without thinking too hard, the likely questions could be something like would you be able to survive if you got the virus and what is the likelihood of you getting the virus. The answers are specific to your situation.  

Other considerations would be similar to rules that are in place in this region, where you may not be allowed into nursing homes or even hospital without having had a flu shot, if there is an outbreak seen. Again, back to the initial questions, if there are outbreaks in your area, that may tip the reasons for you to get vaccinated, especially if you are in a high risk group.

18 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Wait.....did I read in a post on this thread that there may be a Chinese developed vaccine?

I am leery of any Covid-19 vaccine until a great amount of research is done concerning side effects of such a vaccine. While I do think that a vaccine will mitigate Covid-19 cases world-wide, I will need to be convinced that if I do take the vaccine

I'd be leery in regard to ANY vaccine that is fast tracked. The last time the government sought a ‘Warp Speed’ vaccine, Gerald Ford was president, it was 1976, a mysterious new strain of swine flu turned up. It was also an election year & the fast tracked vaccine was a COMPLETE FIASCO...

💉     😷     💉

Edited by ObstructedView2

This is a good topic for discussion. I certainly like the originators title "Hope and Pray". The latter being what I always do. We are all over the place with this Virus attack. I have seen blame being placed where it should not be. That is totally unfair as none of us know the true and real origin. We continue to only speculate with this feared enemy. In the interim, I will post a quote below that seems appropriate until a cure and/or remedy is discovered:

" Across all Asian countries children are taught to wear a mask if they are sick to protect those around them - family, friends and teachers alike. Donning a mask is not done from a place of fear, but instead from a consciousness in the collective and a desire not to infect others. I think this is an important lesson for us to learn in these times". 

• Like 1

I'd be leery in regard to ANY vaccine that is fast tracked. The last time the government sought a ‘Warp Speed’ vaccine, Gerald Ford was president, it was 1976, a mysterious new strain of swine flu turned up. It was also an election year & the fast tracked vaccine was a COMPLETE FIASCO...

[emoji382]     [emoji40]     [emoji382]

All vaccines are sort of hit or miss due to mutations occurring within the virus itself. The annual flu vaccine is considered “successful” if it grants ~65-70% immunity in any given year, most years it is less than that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you,Nic6318 for your thoughts re: a Covid-19 vaccine.

My DH and I have been carefully following the protocols to mitigate the virus put out by the Governor of NY and our local township government. We take the virus very seriously,not only thinking of our health .but the health and welfare of our loved ones and neighbors.

We get a yearly flu shot and pneumonia vaccines, when indicated, to prevent those diseases. Luckily, the flu vaccines have been very effective since neither one of us has had a bout of flu for over thirty years. However, since I have reached 65, I seem to get a reaction to the flu vaccine. For the past three years, I experience a low grade fever and malaise for a few days after getting the flu shot.

It is that experience that causes me to be leery about a Covid-19 vaccine. It is a possible double edge problem for me. Get the vaccine and have a reaction that would compromise my respiratory system,or not get the vaccine and hope not to contract Covid-19. A discussion will take place between my physician and I to make the best choice considering my health situation.

I do hope that the medical community does discover a vaccine for this deadly virus. I also hope there is an understanding of just how the virus is contracted and ways of treatment be established that will lessen the severity of Covid-19.

11 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I'm just very curious.

TL:DR - yes, you can be vaccinated against a virus and still get it.

Bacteria are pretty stable, so the body can recognize it once (via vaccine or via exposure to live bacteria), create antibodies, and kill it in the future.

Viruses, on the other hand, mutate regularly.  The flu is the worst about mutating and does so often.  So vaccines will introduce the body to a handful of mutations each year (whatever is determined to be the most likely virus mutation for the coming season) but still end up with a different mutation of the virus.