Star Princess 28 days March 26, 2021

DShock

This Hawaii and Tahiti cruise is still a ways out.  It's part of our retirement cruise we have planned on for years.  No one has a crystal ball but two questions I thought I would throw out there;

1) do you think this sailing will happen with COVID-19?

2) do you think cruising post-COVID will be anything like it was pre-COVID?

1 hour ago, DShock said:

This Hawaii and Tahiti cruise is still a ways out.  It's part of our retirement cruise we have planned on for years.  No one has a crystal ball but two questions I thought I would throw out there;

Only if there is a vaccine  We have an April Hawaii cruise and are crossing our fingers. I would imagine that cruise lines will require proof of vaccination like the do for yellow fever and malaria

The look of cruising will depend somewhat on where we are with the virus when it starts up again.  In some ways it will mirror what we are doing on land on a day to day basis (masks, distance monitoring, etc.).  

We are very hopeful that the world is in a place where cruising can begin again in early 2021 but I don't think it will happen before then.

On 6/25/2020 at 9:37 AM, DShock said:

We too wanted to do this cruise as our retirement cruise but looks like 2022 before we do.

Do I think it will happen? Probably with stipulations in place.

No, I do not think it will be the same and possibly for the betterment for the customers I think. While they are attacking the COVID-19 it just might tackle the norovirus too. Crossing fingers.

Appreciate the optimism.  I do believe a vaccine will come through and there will be good therapies in addition but even with that this event changed cruising forever, but we will adjust just like we did for airline travel after 9/11 and as greenie said if new measures minimize/eliminate COVID-19 it should do the same with noro.  We are keeping this booking and are looking at Royal Carib cruises in late 2021 and 22.  Betting on pharma to come through and betting on the cruise lines to come back strong.

On 6/25/2020 at 12:37 PM, DShock said:

I don't have an answer to your second question but on the first I would be very skeptical that French Polynesia and Samoa will be ready by next March (definitely not this November).  My DW and I were on the Emerald 28 Day this February and were lucky enough to make FP but not Samoa.  Very shortly after FP was shut down as a protection measure since people in the South Pacific are very susceptible to diseases.

My guess is that is will take a widely distributed effective vaccine before reopening.  The only thing that might change this would be some type of ship wide negative COVID tests before arrival in Samoa and then again before FP but even one Positive would result in denying entry which sounds too risky to me.

Sad because this is our very favorite cruise (6 times so far)

4 hours ago, Centsless_Cruiser said:

I don't have an answer to your second question but on the first I would be very skeptical that French Polynesia and Samoa will be ready by next March (definitely not this November).  My DW and I were on the Emerald 28 Day this February and were lucky enough to make FP but not Samoa.  Very shortly after FP was shut down as a protection measure since people in the South Pacific are very susceptible to diseases.

My guess is that is will take a widely distributed effective vaccine before reopening.  The only thing that might change this would be some type of ship wide negative COVID tests before arrival in Samoa and then again before FP but even one Positive would result in denying entry which sounds too risky to me.

Sad because this is our very favorite cruise (6 times so far)

From the Tahiti Tourism website:  "Cruises ship (sic) already in Tahiti are restarting their operations early July with the local market only. International cruising guidelines are to be updated soon with the reopening of our international borders, without any compulsory quarantine upon arrival, starting July 15th."

We are booked on this cruise with a refundable deposit.  Right now I consider it holding a floating deposit.  But, I'm hoping a vaccine will be available, and proper safety measures in place on board.

If you are planning to book, I noticed today the ocean view cabins are double the price!  Don't book directly with Princess, but shop around other online travel agencies.  We always book with Big Box Store for their cash cards and 2% rebate with their higher cost membership.  

My TA has a group going on this cruise and he is optimistic that it will be a go.  He mentioned that the price had gone up $4K a balcony cabin over what he booked the group in for so the advice to shop around looking for a group price that was negotiated before the virus is a good suggestions.