Will Gratuities go up when cruises resume ?

14 minutes ago, Radiioman46 said:

How about Carnival is looking out for their crew members, and helping them to recover?

Have you been watching them trying to get their staff home??

I hope these gratuities help them better than that. 

6 hours ago, Stick93 said:

Have you been watching them trying to get their staff home??

I hope these gratuities help them better than that. 

If they wish to help the crew by increasing gratuities, they will not need to jump through any obstacles put in their path by the CDC.

So, yes, I am aware of the problems getting crew home.

@Organized Chaos. I didn't know cruise lines opened their books to the web detailing everything.    I'll look around later. 

Fact of the matter still is ships will likely not sail full and so far 1\2 year of bookings (don't know the proportion of FCCs to refunds) that need to rebook in the next year and a half to 2 years and still no idea when things may start up.   Maybe there is a surge of cash paying people.  I know I am not  going to book even though I love the vacation.  Way too much uncertaintyn in when sailing will happen (keeps getting pushed), which ports may open (same, pushed), air travel, if the company will still be in business, Florida is fairly messed up now, where I usually depart from.   

I didn't say they "open their books" to the web. They don't have to for this information to be available to the web-surfing public. Similarly, there's data out there to show, for example, hotel bookings going up & down during this period. Are they opening their books to the public?

As I said, there's a lot of people who come on here to accuse Carnival of all kinds of wrongdoings. Unfortunately, no matter how much information you throw at them to show otherwise, they're not going to listen or believe it. They have a narrative to push and they're not going to let things like facts & truth get in the way of that. Some people are looking for Carnival to do bad things. So much so, that they'll just make stuff up and refuse to listen to reason. It's getting ridiculous.

9 hours ago, Radiioman46 said:

How about Carnival is looking out for their crew members, and helping them to recover?

I think that would be a legitimate reason to raise them. But if Carnival felt like they wanted to help their crew members recover financially, I also believe that they should just raise their contract wages instead of raising daily tips. Because that would amount to relying on passengers to do it for them.

When the OP asked this question, some of us related a (hypothetical) increase in gratuities to lost revenue over the last few months. That's what I thought of, but only because the forum has been filled with accusations against Carnival that they're cheating people out of more money to help recover. So because of all that kind of talk going around, when someone asks if they'll raise gratuities, I wonder if it's another jab at Carnival as a means to recover lost revenue. Then I realized, gratuities go to the crew, not to Carnival. It doesn't help their bottom line. So I was just looking for a little clarification and elaboration on the question.

1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

I think that would be a legitimate reason to raise them. But if Carnival felt like they wanted to help their crew members recover financially, I also believe that they should just raise their contract wages instead of raising daily tips. Because that would amount to relying on passengers to do it for them.

When the OP asked this question, some of us related a (hypothetical) increase in gratuities to lost revenue over the last few months. That's what I thought of, but only because the forum has been filled with accusations against Carnival that they're cheating people out of more money to help recover. So because of all that kind of talk going around, when someone asks if they'll raise gratuities, I wonder if it's another jab at Carnival as a means to recover lost revenue. Then I realized, gratuities go to the crew, not to Carnival. It doesn't help their bottom line. So I was just looking for a little clarification and elaboration on the question.

And the folks who see wrongdoing whenever Carnival (or for that matter any of the other cruise lines) do something, they will immediately say (and probably quite vociferously) that the crew is not really getting the extra tips. They will accuse the cruise lines of pocketing the increase.

I think this will be a legitimate question but I am sure a disagreeable one - 

It’s possible if they raise gratuities people will could take them off. In truth we all know when they post gratuities the lines to the front desk are the longest. You may not agree but there has to be is a relationship to the level gratuities are to the number of people who remove them?? 

They can raise them to whatever  they like but they have to know some and maybe even a higher percentage may remove them. 

19 hours ago, Radiioman46 said:

I work for a major high end department store.  We were furloughed for a couple months.  The company has an emergency fund, funded by employees.   Yearly, when a major clearing house for charities comes around, we have the option  to have money go to this middle man or donate to an employee relief fund.  The majority of employees donate to the fund.  All the furloughed employees got a piece of this fund.  I would like to think Carnival is taking care of their employees similarly. 

Edited by Butterbean1000

On 6/26/2020 at 3:52 PM, shof515 said:

some restaurants is charging people a covid-19 surcharge on their bill

My dentist's office charged me an extra $10 Covid fee on a recent visit.

Edited by BananaAnna

On 6/27/2020 at 8:28 PM, Organized Chaos said:

So until someone can prove otherwise, none of it helps Carnival recover lost revenue. So why would they raise them?

The reason they might raise them is to retain crew. If a crew member can earn more from another employer, they might follow the money. Carnival like many travel and leisure companies gives 100% of gratuities to the crew. they divide it so even non-guest facing crew get something. Carnival also pays the points charged by credit card companies so the crew gets 100% of tips paid by credit/debit card. 

On 6/27/2020 at 11:00 PM, Organized Chaos said:

Why is it so hard to believe demand is up? Why's it so hard to believe that people are ready to get back to cruising? After 3 1/2 months, plus at least 3 more to go, don't you think cruisers are itching to get back to it? Do a simple web search, it's no secret.

Just because a small percentage of people on CC come here day after day to push a bleak narrative that no one wants to cruise, that doesn't make it true. Despite their negativity, there have been plenty of CC users who say they're ready. And CC is only a small sampling of cruisers overall. If you're going to accuse them of lying about it, then feel free to elaborate.

You can't stop can you.  You can't help yourself taking swipes at people that don't share your opinion.  There have been plenty of people on here who have taken the more realistic and correct opinion.  Almost every time you post on here you take a virtual swing at them.  SMH.

• Like 2