Balcony gratuities

matymil

I saw on a cruise news page that NCL was going to start covering gratuities for anyone who has booked a balcony stateroom or higher? I cant seem to find it anywhere else though. Anyone have anymore info on this?

25 minutes ago, matymil said:

I saw on a cruise news page that NCL was going to start covering gratuities for anyone who has booked a balcony stateroom or higher? I cant seem to find it anywhere else though. Anyone have anymore info 

It is right on the main ncl page. At least it is on the US page. You can click through and book the offer. 

2 minutes ago, Beer Belly said:

Don't forget, that Daily Service Charge is "Discretionary", so what they are offering to cover is something that you do not have to pay anyhow, totally optional.

well that didn't take long........   

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Beer Belly said:

It's not something I do, nor encourage, just letting someone know thier rights.

If it's a promo, which is the OP's question, there are no rights to be concerned about..... seems your post was to stir the DSC frenzy. IMHO

• Like 2

1 minute ago, esm54687 said:

If it's a promo, which is the OP's question, there are no rights to be concerned about..... seems your post was to stir the DSC frenzy. IMHO

Not at all, just pointing out the Promo is smoke a mirrors, not a real money saving Promo. Now if they covered Gratuities on the packages, that is a savings. 

• Like 1

I think this is for new bookings only.  If you have a balcony already booked, check if you can add it to your booking or if you have to rebook and your price and other amenities stay the same.  Sometimes the prices go up.

1 hour ago, Beer Belly said:

Not at all, just pointing out the Promo is smoke a mirrors, not a real money saving Promo. Now if they covered Gratuities on the packages, that is a savings. 

ok...... 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Beer Belly said:

Now if they covered Gratuities on the packages, that is a savings. 

PCL is doing this.  Not my 1st choice for a cruise line but when room and drink package gratuities were included I jumped on the offer.  I couldn't beat the price anywhere. 

I think NCL is just trying to get cruisers to book the higher cost rooms to show  higher value to future cruises booked to gain a better monetary future outlook for them and investors.   Just like the balcony for the price of an oceanview  and the oceanview prices were just raised to the balcony price (or so it seemed on the cruises I looked at)

22 hours ago, Beer Belly said:

It's not something I do, nor encourage, just letting someone know thier rights.

Incorrect. Your post obviously promotes cheating the hard working crew from the little they get from the DSC. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Incorrect. Your post obviously promotes cheating the hard working crew from the little they get from the DSC. 

I have never, ever, nor intend to remove the DSC from any cruise, or any vacation I take. I also tip generously to those I interact with. Even if the check includes a 20% gratuity, I always add 20% cash at the table, $5 every other drink order at the bars, and when being served at the pool.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Beer Belly said:

I have never, ever, nor intend to remove the DSC from any cruise, or any vacation I take. I also tip generously to those I interact with. Even if the check includes a 20% gratuity, I always add 20% cash at the table, $5 every other drink order at the bars, and when being served at the pool.

Does not negate the fact that you are promoting cheating the crew. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Incorrect. I love the gult trip, though. DSC is discretionary. That means the customer is able to adjust up or down based on service received. If you feel service levels were subpar, then you adjust downward. By not adjusting downward, what is "obvious" is that the only person you are "cheating" is.....yourself. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Does not negate the fact that you are promoting cheating the crew. 

I never promoted the practice. Let's just let it be. Just wondering, do you think NCL makes up the loss from the Promo to hard working, behind the scenes crew ?

Edited by Beer Belly
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 10:18 AM, EllieinNJ said:

I think this is for new bookings only.  If you have a balcony already booked, check if you can add it to your booking or if you have to rebook and your price and other amenities stay the same.  Sometimes the prices go up.

Just called and it only took 5 minutes to change exciting reservation.

Price dropped $220.00, but gave up $200 onboard credit and gained prepaid tips for 2($217.00?)!

Presidents Week cruise keep getting cheaper!😀

$700.00 cheaper then 2-3 years ago for same cruise, same port and ship, plus get all 4. Only had 2 last time!

• Like 1

Just did a mock booking for 2 ppl on the jade 13 night Caribbean cruise feb 1,2021. The best inside cabin comes to $3200 cheaper than the worst balcony. This is both with all the perks. I think I will pick an inside and pay my own gratuities with the $3200 I save.😀

1 hour ago, azbaby8062 said:

I looked at the cruise that I have currently booked. If you go through the "promotion" the cruise is $1239 but you just price the cruise alone it starts at $859.

Shhhh, NCL doesn't want anyone looking behind the curtain.....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Love my butler said:

Shhhh, NCL doesn't want anyone looking behind the curtain.....

I checked the new promotional prices today for a February 2021 cruise which we booked in April 2020.  If we re-book to get the "free" DSC, our price for the same category of room goes up by $120 pp.  If I calculate correctly, the DSC for a 7 day cruise would be about $110, so they actually would be charging us more for the DSC than we already were scheduled to pay.  Oh, the new offer also includes double Latitudes points, so effectively we would be buying seven extra points at about $1.00 per point.

23 hours ago, hladygirl said:

Just did a mock booking for 2 ppl on the jade 13 night Caribbean cruise feb 1,2021. The best inside cabin comes to $3200 cheaper than the worst balcony. This is both with all the perks. I think I will pick an inside and pay my own gratuities with the $3200 I save.😀

9 ports? I wonder why a Balcony cabin cost more? Kind of like Alaska?