Neat AK Cruise on Hurtigruten

donaldsc

This one goes to a bunch of neat sounding places.  I am booked.

https://www.hurtigruten.com/destinations/alaska/alaska-and-british-columbia-inside-passage-bears-and-aleutian-islands-northbound/#

Day 1  Vancouver, Canada

Day 2  At Sea

Day 3  Misty Fjords National Monument

Day 4  Wrangell, Alaska

Day 5  Sitka, Alaska

Day 6  Icy Bay

Day 7  At Sea

Day 8  Kodiak, Alaska

Day 9  Geographic Harbor / Kukak Bay / Kinak Bay

Day 10  Chignik

Day 11  Unga Village, Alaska

Day 12  Dutch Harbor / Unalaska

Day 13  At Sea

Day 14  St. Paul, Alaska

Day 15  St. Matthew Island, Alaska

Day 16  At sea

Day 17  Nome, Alaska

Day 18  Vancouver

DON

Edited by donaldsc

1 hour ago, gottagoacruzn said:

When will you be going?

July 2021 - hopefully.  The ship only holds about 500 people so I will bet that it will sell out long before the cruise.

Comment to Budget Queen - I will bet that this one has stops at places that even you have not been to.

DON

13 hours ago, donaldsc said:

This one goes to a bunch of neat sounding places.  I am booked.

https://www.hurtigruten.com/destinations/alaska/alaska-and-british-columbia-inside-passage-bears-and-aleutian-islands-northbound/#

Day 1  Vancouver, Canada

Day 2  At Sea

Day 3  Misty Fjords National Monument

Day 4  Wrangell, Alaska

Day 5  Sitka, Alaska

Day 6  Icy Bay

Day 7  At Sea

Day 8  Kodiak, Alaska

Day 9  Geographic Harbor / Kukak Bay / Kinak Bay

Day 10  Chignik

Day 11  Unga Village, Alaska

Day 12  Dutch Harbor / Unalaska

Day 13  At Sea

Day 14  St. Paul, Alaska

Day 15  St. Matthew Island, Alaska

Day 16  At sea

Day 17  Nome, Alaska

Day 18  Vancouver

DON

How does a ship sail from Nome, Alaska to Vancouver overnight?

49 minutes ago, pizzalady1 said:

It is air from Nome to Vancouver.

Yes.  Also included is one night lodging at a hotel in Vancouver.  Not sure if it  is pre or post cruise.

Gotta love that cruise.  We have been to AK a number of times by ship and by land and I never dreamed that I would ever get to those places.  I sure hope that it goes.

DON

On what type of aircraft?  With the flight be operated by what company?  The itinerary is good.  The "other considerations" need further exploration by anyone seriously thinking of booking such a trip, I think.

Edited by rkacruiser

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

On what type of aircraft?  With the flight be operated by what company?  The itinerary is good.  The "other considerations" need further exploration by anyone seriously thinking of booking such a trip, I think.

They say that it is a charter.

DON

16 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Alaska Airlines  has scheduled service with 737.    

It's a fantastic itinerary  but, I'd see if there was a separate option without the flight,  I'd want to add a day in Nome.   And then,  -would be staying in Alaska.  🙂     

I travel solo,  so rates on this cruise,  currently run about $1000/day.    I have spent those kind of amounts in Alaska,  staying in Katmai,  and Deadhorse.     Incredible opportunity-   but,  I don't like the ending.     Something to certainly consider?       

56 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

Alaska Airlines  has scheduled service with 737.    

It's a fantastic itinerary  but, I'd see if there was a separate option without the flight,  I'd want to add a day in Nome.   And then,  -would be staying in Alaska.  🙂     

I travel solo,  so rates on this cruise,  currently run about $1000/day.    I have spent those kind of amounts in Alaska,  staying in Katmai,  and Deadhorse.     Incredible opportunity-   but,  I don't like the ending.     Something to certainly consider?       

Good thought about Nome.  I may ask my TA to ask Hurtrigutin if I can extend my stay in Nome.   I should add that I responded to their e-mail really quickly so I got into a 2 day sale on the cruise.  The minimum price on the cruise is now ~$2000 more than I paid and we don't have the minimum cabin.  Sometimes it pays to act quickly.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

13 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Good thought about Nome.  I may ask my TA to ask Hurtrigutin if I can extend my stay in Nome.   I should add that I responded to their e-mail really quickly so I got into a 2 day sale on the cruise.  The minimum price on the cruise is now ~$2000 more than I paid and we don't have the minimum cabin.  Sometimes it pays to act quickly.

DON

I actually want the flight gone.  🙂    IF you happen to get any answer,   would you mind posting it?     I don't want to even bother considering it- unless there is no flight option  with a reduced fare.     You know how it can go  🙂   I inquire, then am bugged with contacts.   So just looking to avoid that-  if the inclusions are the only option.   

Have a wonderful trip.    

• Like 1

I would imagine the flights would have to be charters.   The 737s that Alaska uses on the Nome-Kotzebue-Anchorage triangle aren't nearly big enough to handle the number of pax that would be disembarking.  

I too would extend a couple of days in Nome.  I'd look at booking a car and use it to explore the road system that radiates from Nome into the bush of the Seward Peninsula.  Terrific country - history, scenery, tons of wildlife...

That's a terrific sounding itinerary.  I have never seen Unga mentioned as a destination, but it's a good one.  You might even pull into my old stomping grounds of Sand Point, the village across the water from the old village.

This is becoming increasingly interesting to me.  Surely a different itinerary with the possibility of spending a bit of extra time in Nome and maybe flights (charter maybe) on a major carrier as Alaska Airlines.  I have not checked:  is this itinerary shown on the web site for Hurtriguten?

3 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

I actually want the flight gone.  🙂    IF you happen to get any answer,   would you mind posting it?     I don't want to even bother considering it- unless there is no flight option  with a reduced fare.     You know how it can go  🙂   I inquire, then am bugged with contacts.   So just looking to avoid that-  if the inclusions are the only option.   

Have a wonderful trip.    

I have e-mailed my TA.  Actually, I think that you want to extend the trip at the end.  The cruise goes northbound and ends in Nome and then you fly back to Vancouver.  I will get back to you when my TA replies.

DON

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

This is becoming increasingly interesting to me.  Surely a different itinerary with the possibility of spending a bit of extra time in Nome and maybe flights (charter maybe) on a major carrier as Alaska Airlines.  I have not checked:  is this itinerary shown on the web site for Hurtriguten?

Southbound is about $500 less, could do your own land tour in advance, its very intriguing but pricey for solos .

https://www.hurtigruten.com/destinations/alaska/alaska-and-british-columbia-inside-passage-bears-and-aleutian-islands-southbound/#

There are some  deals  with no solo supplement but I don't see it for Alaska

A-

Edited by AlanF65

16 hours ago, Coral said:

I probably like a more posh cruise and would go with this 100 cabin ship:

https://www.crystalcruises.com/voyage/otaru-to-anchorage-yen210612-19 

or

https://www.crystalcruises.com/voyage/anchorage-to-anadyr-yen210804-15 

TOURDELUXE SUITE WITH VERANDAH (S7)

304 sf Deck 5

$17,449 More Info

BOOK

My cruise is costing me about that for the 2 of us.  Since I basically regard a ship as a large bus,  I don't need a posh cruise.  However, as I have frequently said, different strokes etc.  Another point is that my wife would not let us spend 36K for many cruise and I do not blame her.

DON

16 hours ago, Coral said:

I probably like a more posh cruise and would go with this 100 cabin ship:

https://www.crystalcruises.com/voyage/otaru-to-anchorage-yen210612-19 

or

https://www.crystalcruises.com/voyage/anchorage-to-anadyr-yen210804-15 

Big problem however is non peak for Katmai-   Which I would never consider.    

On 7/11/2020 at 2:55 PM, donaldsc said:

I have e-mailed my TA.  Actually, I think that you want to extend the trip at the end.  The cruise goes northbound and ends in Nome and then you fly back to Vancouver.  I will get back to you when my TA replies.

DON

My TA got back to me.  Hurtigrutin got back to her.  The flight back from Nome is a true charter and you can't change the date.  I checked on the cost of a one way from Nome to Denver is $362.  I may think about ending the cruise in Nome, spending a day or so there and flying back directly from Nome to Denver.  I will obviously never be back to Nome ever again and the $700 cost to fly home from Nome will only add 3% plus my Nome costs to the cost of the trip.  It might be worth it.  I have lots of time to think about it.

DON

• Like 1

3 hours ago, donaldsc said:

My TA got back to me.  Hurtigrutin got back to her.  The flight back from Nome is a true charter and you can't change the date.  I checked on the cost of a one way from Nome to Denver is $362.  I may think about ending the cruise in Nome, spending a day or so there and flying back directly from Nome to Denver.  I will obviously never be back to Nome ever again and the $700 cost to fly home from Nome will only add 3% plus my Nome costs to the cost of the trip.  It might be worth it.  I have lots of time to think about it.

DON

I appreciate your information.  Thank you.