The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

OK, ahem, it been a full day without an update and enquiring minds want to know:

How did yesterday's inaugural cook go at

Keith's BBQ Joint, Bait and Tackle Shop (motto: "Fish to Foul, we've got you covered.") 

Questions:

Were people fed?  On time?  Was Papa John's ultimately involved?

Is the house still there?

Do you still have your eyebrows?

Experience has taught me these are not unreasonable questions.

Dude, let's have the deets (as the kidz would say.)

(Also, the foul/fowl joke was deliberate, just to be clear.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

OK, ahem, it been a full day without an update and enquiring minds want to know:

How did yesterday's inaugural cook go at

Keith's BBQ Joint, Bait and Tackle Shop (motto: "Fish to Foul, we've got you covered.") 

Questions:

Were people fed?  On time?  Was Papa John's ultimately involved?

Is the house still there?

Do you still have your eyebrows?

Experience has taught me these are not unreasonable questions.

Dude, let's have the deets (as the kidz would say.)

(Also, the foul/fowl joke was deliberate, just to be clear.)

I have to admit it. I am almost afraid to ask!!😲😁😮

And in other news, we got to +2.4 C today!! First time in almost a month we have been above 0 C!!! Almost time to break out the shorts!! NOT!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

The new Traeger Pellet Smoker worked like a charm.

Unlike say a gas smoker with the Pellets the grill does most of the work itself which for someone like me who has never used a smoker before this was terrific.

I started with something very simple; Hamburgers.

Followed the directions.  That helps.

Takes longer than a charcoal barbecue grill but easy peasy and they were delicious.  They were so tasty (now I am thinking back to Lucille Ball getting wasted on Vitameatavegamin) and they were moist.  I'm already sold on the grill.

Over the coming weeks we'll do other things including fish.

Then it will be a turkey with one twist.

For the past 30 years I have used my kettle grill to barbecue turvy usually a few times a year and the birds typically are 25+ pounds although one year just under 30 lbs.  We love Turkey.  😀

My son advises that I could go with one to two birds at 20 lbs each but not to go larger due to safety issues in terms of the amount of time it would be on the grill at lower temperature.  In time, we will do this.

While I would rather be cruising right now and leave the cooking to the experts, using this new barbecue reenforced my views that you are never too old to try new things.  Although these days I am feeling older when I run.  LOL.

Keith

• Like 7

Keith, I think somebody invented Wordle so we could learn something new. I struggled today, but my grandson said a win is a win, so I’m happy.

Wordle 234 6/6

🟨🟩
🟩🟩
🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

And then somebody invented Mathler.

mathler.com  7 3/6

🟨🟨🟨
🟨🟩🟨🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Have fun, everybody.

• Like 3

Oh, my - @May B!  I had already gotten hooked on Wordle, but I didn't know about Mathler.  I'm a numbers gal, so I make myself do word puzzles to balance things out.  Now I'll get to see if my Mathler scores will be as good as my Wordle ones.  Thanks for teaching me something new today.

Cindy

• Like 1

Well, as the proprietor of a small business, I must say its been a rotten day at the Chez.

First, the cook's highly anticipated summer break plans have gone tango uniform.

Then, my favorite purveyor of quality restaurant supplies has abruptly ceased delivery.

Finally,  my dining room is full of first timers reveling in these developments.  Why of why don't they just go back to Olive Garden?  They so clearly turn out for the unlimited breadsticks and watered down Sangria.

• Haha 8

Yes, I've been wondering for a couple months, what's with all the negative first timers?  As for all the other clever and wonderful regular posters on the Bistro/Crystal thread I'm looking forward to hopefully meeting you all on the high seas one day.

@KenzSailing you really crack me up.  Thanks!  I needed that today!

~Nancy

• Like 5

Today's sunrise is from my 2015 Maasdam cruise Fort Lauderdale to Buenos Aires.  February 8 was a sea day from Belem to Recife and it was not a nice day.  I think I popped out on the back deck just long enough to snap the photo:

dawn0208.jpg

Roy

• Like 5

Well, I suddenly have time on my hands (no shorex to book), so, seeing as how I'm in the good old USofA, I've decided to make my fortune the old fashioned way:

I'm going Hollywood

There'll be an open casting call 

Patience, stick with me (l'art pour l'art)

• Like 3

On 2/8/2022 at 10:53 AM, BEAV said:

Keith, thanks for the nod to Vitameatavegimen and Mizz Ball. I quit Geritol in favor of it years ago...

Just one question....did you have fries with your burger? First time since 2010 and 0226? 🤔

Brian,

French Fries on 0226???  I had them.  LOL.

OK.  I did have a few.  

And you all were so good about coming to the Fitness Center in the early morning as part of our deal.  

P1050227.thumb.jpg.3001f3314a7e56b9f61b01d74f3cb37d.jpg

Since that time I do think I had a few of the sweet potato fries on-board.

OK, since those few exceptions, when we were in Miami before our last Serenity cruise in November we shared fries at the hotel but I offset it with asparagus.

IMG_3303.thumb.jpeg.0517e6ab3e4498e3526b5fe8c65784c7.jpeg

IMG_3301.thumb.jpeg.ee736508f916524430f355afdf67a756.jpeg

I didn't have any french fries with our at home burgers but maybe sometime we'll do just that.  

Keith

• Like 5

Have I just been looking at a photo of Keith with his hand distinctly in physical contact with the buffet?

How ever many years ago was that taken - these days he'd be thrown off the ship! (if there were any fries - at a buffet - on a ship......)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Noggins said:

Have I just been looking at a photo of Keith with his hand distinctly in physical contact with the buffet?

How ever many years ago was that taken - these days he'd be thrown off the ship! (if there were any fries - at a buffet - on a ship......)

2010 and remember a photos can be deceiving.

The buffet was french fries in the Palm Court.  🤗

Keith

7 hours ago, Noggins said:

The “agreement” was if a bunch of us interrupted our deep, peaceful, Crystalized sleep, and met Keith in the Fitness Center at 5:00am, he in turn had to ingest French Fries. In public. In full display of everyone. And find them deliciously addicting. 

Mission accomplished. Happy to report everyone was a team player. 😉 👍

🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

February 11, 2021 enjoying “C0ck-A-Doodle-Do” in Waikiki.

Such a fun and delicious starter course. The presentation reminded me of a typical night in Waterside on the Modern side of the menu. 

Hopefully, Kenz will pick up where Waterside left off (😢), and it magically appears on the menu at the Chez! 

7C3AC34E-0311-44BE-8689-5C9831CF2849.jpeg

0A939D43-13EA-434E-A59C-73CC82829C6B.jpeg

9A28BD28-EAA9-438D-B768-6B442C72B787.jpeg

Edited by BEAV
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, BEAV said:

February 11, 2021 enjoying “C0ck-A-Doodle-Do” in Waikiki.

Such a fun and delicious starter course. The presentation reminded me of a typical night in Waterside on the Modern side of the menu. 

Hopefully, Kenz will pick up where Waterside left off (😢), and it magically appears on the menu at the Chez! 

7C3AC34E-0311-44BE-8689-5C9831CF2849.jpeg

0A939D43-13EA-434E-A59C-73CC82829C6B.jpeg

9A28BD28-EAA9-438D-B768-6B442C72B787.jpeg

Oooooh, I like that.

And if Scott of Cwazeandcwaze fame were still around he'd say "Back in my working days, Tom Yum was my stage name!"

• Haha 4