The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

1 minute ago, KenzSailing said:

So I'm steaming some mussels tonight.  Have never done it, but it doesn't look like it could be any easier.  Just wish I had a baguette to accompany.

and Fries….gotta have the fries a la Belgian style 

Hope he got you some live New Zealand Green Lip mussels - they're the best - big and juicy

Crystal had them available when they were down under and Regent had them available most of the time on our recent cruise on Explorer 

I'm afraid those little Black Mussels just don’t cut it

• Like 1

When I heard from friends on board Regent Explorer it sounded like the Crystal Symphony voyage which some of you labeled the trip to nowhere.  The challenges of getting the hull clean is why I remember they put the Symphony and Serenity in short dry docks after all of that time anchored in Asia before the restart of 2021.  

One of my friends on that cruise said the flight from Mainland USA over there hit the most turbulence he's ever experienced and I suspect several passengers on that flight said a prayer.

So with New Zealand in mind.a few photos from our last visit to New Zealand in February of 2020 on-board Serenity follow.

Keith

1549095770_IMG_24742.thumb.jpeg.376418f140b69ffcec6a9d5e27c1c536.jpeg

IMG_5759.thumb.jpeg.1772b6fdddbe4b85b7fb858d6190c86b.jpeg

192390696_IMG_94772.thumb.jpeg.aeed0d6b79dfb396035dcd3b40c94c5c.jpeg

IMG_9572.thumb.jpeg.97a84de8ffd010a3b708984e1063511b.jpeg

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

When I heard from friends on board Regent Splendor it sounded like the Crystal Symphony voyage which some of you labeled the trip to nowhere.  

I think you mean RSSC Explorer which is encountering issues with her hull and getting a clean bill of health from NZ authorities. She’s visiting an unplanned port, Gisborne, tomorrow and guests are waiting to hear where the itinerary will take them after that 

RSSC Splendor is in Central America at the moment 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stickman1990 said:

I think you mean RSSC Explorer which is encountering issues with her hull and getting a clean bill of health from NZ authorities. She’s visiting an unplanned port, Gisborne, tomorrow and guests are waiting to hear where the itinerary will take them after that 

RSSC Splendor is in Central America at the moment 

Yes, thank you. I was able to change it to edit the post to get the correct ship name.

Right now a cruise to nowhere or might be a cruise to wherever.

Keith

20 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Hope he got you some live New Zealand Green Lip mussels - they're the best - big and juicy

Crystal had them available when they were down under and Regent had them available most of the time on our recent cruise on Explorer 

+1 on NZ Green Lip mussels. I have been able to get the frozen ones in Minnesota and they're pretty tasty.

Can you clarify what you mean by Belgian style fries? I had the best fries of my life in a restaurant in Belgium in 1971, and we call those "steak fries".

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Oh my, that's a rather harsh judgment of that fine product of Prince Edward Island.

Our neighbors to the north would like a word.  A polite word mind you, but still...

• Like 3

Well shoot.  Going to have to hang the Closed sign on the Chez's front door for a bit, as, after almost three years of run and hide, the evil 'Rona  has caught the proprietor.  OLoPP remains in the clear. 

Symptoms are thankfully mild.  Congestion, runny nose, mild headache, occasional light chills.  Consulted with my doc and he recommends not starting Paxlovid unless my symptoms worsen.  Hope to be right as rain in three-four days.  Will admit our masking regimen has gotten pretty relaxed, however we are max vaxed and boosted, and glad for that.

Heard at the Chez this morning:

OLoPP to Chef: "Do you think you have brain fog?"

Chef: "No more than usual."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh no @KenzSailing!  When I tested positive back in July, my symptoms may have been even milder than yours because I though it was allergies.  I had apparently given it to DH before I realized I had it, and he blew through probably a dozen tests the  day after I was positive, because he just knew he had to have been infected.  About a day and a half later, he was up all night and definitely had it, and he tested positive that morning.  So make sure OLoPP still tests for a day or so.

Ditto on the brain fog.

Take care of yourself.

• Like 2

Oh no on the Rona.  I would rethink the Paxlovid, if you wait too long to start it the benefits go poof.  My case was strange.  I had a negative PCR November 30 and retested December 16 before my December 20 physical plus I did an Antigen test (negative) December 19.   The PCR test did not come back until December 21 and that was positive.  When I talked to the Health  Department we agreed it was too late for Paxlovid  but fortunately all I had was a few sniffles.

Roy

• Like 3

4 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Well shoot.  Going to have to hang the Closed sign on the Chez's front door for a bit, as, after almost three years of run and hide, the evil 'Rona  has caught the proprietor.  OLoPP remains in the clear. 

Symptoms are thankfully mild.  Congestion, runny nose, mild headache, occasional light chills.  Consulted with my doc and he recommends not starting Paxlovid unless my symptoms worsen.  Hope to be right as rain in three-four days.  Will admit our masking regimen has gotten pretty relaxed, however we are max vaxed and boosted, and glad for that.

Heard at the Chez this morning:

OLoPP to Chef: "Do you think you have brain fog?"

Chef: "No more than usual."

I finally took my turn for the Covid team last month. Thankfully extremely mild symptoms, but kept me away from a fun Low Country Shrimp Boil dinner at our local seafood restaurant. 

Good luck and have OLoPP do frequent checks on her brain fog-o-meter. 

”The Chez (not show) MUST go on…”

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, May B said:

Glad you weren’t much bothered, Beav, and same to you, KenzSailing. Imagine, it’s almost three years since we heard about Covid. 

An anecdote:  a few years ago we celebrated my birthday at a rather fancy restaurant in DC. We had a wonderful time, full of laughter, levity and innocence.  They left a small stationery card at my place setting(I'm looking at it right now.)  It read "Happy Birthday!  May this be your best year yet!"

It was dated February 15, 2020.  Two, maybe three weeks later the bottom fell out of the world.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Had my quarterly visit with my GP earlier this week, and mentioned that all three of us have had a a visit from the "Rona" monster. His comment was with three boosters, plus the "real McCoy", we are pretty much "bullet-proof" for the next few months! Hope he is right as we are heading off to Buenous Aires in three weeks for 32 days on the Silver Moon!

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Roland4 said:

Had my quarterly visit with my GP earlier this week, and mentioned that all three of us have had a a visit from the "Rona" monster. His comment was with three boosters, plus the "real McCoy", we are pretty much "bullet-proof" for the next few months! Hope he is right as we are heading off to Buenous Aires in three weeks for 32 days on the Silver Moon!

From what I've heard, he might be a little optimistic. It does seem that most who have been vaccinated that much don't get very sick.

Will be interested on your Silver Moon experience since my Silver Muse experience wasn't good. Silversea seems to be much more ship specific on the experience, which is disappointing, as the experience should be consistent fleet wide.

Patty

• Like 2