Wines on the ships?

Cruiserkenn

I wonder what is happening to the wines on the ships?  Who is caring for them?  

Or, do you think the fine wines were taken off of the ships?

i was all set to have Jordan Cabernet, on my next cruise, when it was cancelled the day before embarkation, in  March.

i hope someone knows the answer about the wines.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, Cruiserkenn said:

Slightly off topic.  This thread brought back memories of the "incident" on a Cunard ship that went into German dry dock for work some years ago.  While the work was being undertaken, crew and workers were security checked on arrival very day.  Unfortunately, the "rubbish" bags etc. and workers were not checked on leaving.  Somehow the all the very expensive wines (Petrus et al) were not removed prior to dry dock, and to date Cunard and the police have no idea where they went.  

Value?

Some say well North of $300,000.00 

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

It hasn't been that long yet.  Most of the wines should be fine if kept at the right temperature and I can't fathom that they wouldn't be.  But, they also have to be bringing food aboard, so maybe it is a two way street.  Maybe some are being returned to shore.  

I wonder if the crew and staff that remain onboard are able to imbibe?  The officers?  Probably so.  The crew probably has to purchase it, though.  

• Like 1

Interesting point...   the reds should be ok....

But I was thinking of the Champagne  particularly if left in the fridge  could be a problem.... 

Also another year age on some of the whites... will no be good  as losing some of young and fresh characteristics. 

But with all cruises cancelled and none booked.... not a problem

Cheers Don

I say forget about the wine. What about the great champion the boys make fresh every Tuesday in the boiler room.

with out it you might only win a key chain at the Trivia games.😳 😁

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Slightly off topic.  This thread brought back memories of the "incident" on a Cunard ship that went into German dry dock for work some years ago.  While the work was being undertaken, crew and workers were security checked on arrival very day.  Unfortunately, the "rubbish" bags etc. and workers were not checked on leaving.  Somehow the all the very expensive wines (Petrus et al) were not removed prior to dry dock, and to date Cunard and the police have no idea where they went.  

Value?

Some say well North of $300,000.00 

Wow!  A really good story!  Thanks!

On 7/21/2020 at 8:00 AM, Cruiserkenn said:

i was all set to have Jordan Cabernet, on my next cruise, when it was cancelled the day before embarkation, in  March.

use to go canoeing down the Russian River and always drove over to Jordan Winery.  You sir have excellent taste in wine.

On 7/21/2020 at 6:31 PM, getting older slowly said:

Interesting point...   the reds should be ok....

But I was thinking of the Champagne  particularly if left in the fridge  could be a problem.... 

Also another year age on some of the whites... will no be good  as losing some of young and fresh characteristics. 

But with all cruises cancelled and none booked.... not a problem

Cheers Don

we were given a bottle of dom perignon for a special anniversary many years ago.  We kept it in the refrigerator for about 7 years.  Then read that you shouldn't keep champagne in fridge.  So for the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday that year, we opened it with friends.  To our happy surprise, it was excellent.  I can only say, it is all a hit and miss.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 11:00 AM, Cruiserkenn said:

I doubt that the wine has been removed from the ships as long as the ships continue to be occupied and have whatever power is necessary for daily life onboard.  The only reason to move the wine would be if all power were being cut off and the storage conditions would change.  Moving all of the wine off of a ship is not worth the effort and there is far more risk of damage, loss and theft during the moving and re-stocking.  Best to leave it be, as long as it can maintain a reasonable temperature.  Remember that not all of the ships have been in Princess-controlled ports this whole time, and some have just been stationed wherever it was convenient for the time being.  So it isn't as if Princess had a safe, secure, trustworthy (and perhaps most importantly) free place to store the wine.  If they had to rent wine storage space for all that wine, it would be costly, assuming they could even find suitable storage in the first place.  Bulk wine storage is kind of a niche market that you don't find everywhere.  Now, for ships re-positioned at Port Everglades, they could probably find free, safe storage for their inventory if they wanted to.  But the time, effort and risk of moving the wine still comes into play.

10 hours ago, Knickearth said:

We kept it in the refrigerator for about 7 years.  Then read that you shouldn't keep champagne in fridge. 

Champagne in the refrigerator is a risk, but does not spell surefire doom.  The issue is with the cork, and not the wine itself.  (Wine can be frozen and thawed with no detectable loss of quality, though I don't recommend it beyond conducting an experiment.  The wine might be fine.  The bottles?  Not so much.)  But corks vary greatly.  A really good, high quality cork can withstand a spell in the fridge and Dom is using high quality (expensive) corks that won't shrink too much from the lack of humidity in the refrigerator.  But an $18 bottle of bubbly with a $0.12 cork?  No telling how that might shrink in a dry environment.  That said, even high quality corks can fail, so the fridge is usually not your best option for long term storage.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

I doubt that the wine has been removed from the ships as long as the ships continue to be occupied and have whatever power is necessary for daily life onboard.  The only reason to move the wine would be if all power were being cut off and the storage conditions would change.  Moving all of the wine off of a ship is not worth the effort and there is far more risk of damage, loss and theft during the moving and re-stocking.  Best to leave it be, as long as it can maintain a reasonable temperature.  Remember that not all of the ships have been in Princess-controlled ports this whole time, and some have just been stationed wherever it was convenient for the time being.  So it isn't as if Princess had a safe, secure, trustworthy (and perhaps most importantly) free place to store the wine.  If they had to rent wine storage space for all that wine, it would be costly, assuming they could even find suitable storage in the first place.  Bulk wine storage is kind of a niche market that you don't find everywhere.  Now, for ships re-positioned at Port Everglades, they could probably find free, safe storage for their inventory if they wanted to.  But the time, effort and risk of moving the wine still comes into play.

Champagne in the refrigerator is a risk, but does not spell surefire doom.  The issue is with the cork, and not the wine itself.  (Wine can be frozen and thawed with no detectable loss of quality, though I don't recommend it beyond conducting an experiment.  The wine might be fine.  The bottles?  Not so much.)  But corks vary greatly.  A really good, high quality cork can withstand a spell in the fridge and Dom is using high quality (expensive) corks that won't shrink too much from the lack of humidity in the refrigerator.  But an $18 bottle of bubbly with a $0.12 cork?  No telling how that might shrink in a dry environment.  That said, even high quality corks can fail, so the fridge is usually not your best option for long term storage.

Thanks for the great answers about it being unlikely that they would move the wines, and also about champagne.

So interesting about the corks!

On July 24, 2020 at 4:58 AM, Knickearth said:

use to go canoeing down the Russian River and always drove over to Jordan Winery.  You sir have excellent taste in wine.

Canoeing on the Russian River sounds fantastic!  Thanks for the great comments!