Princess Cruises Extends Pause

Not totally unexpected but sad news none the less.  How long until HAL says the same?

July 22, 2020 1:00PM PT

SANTA CLARITA, Calif. – Due to the continued progression of COVID-19 and related decisions of various government, health authorities, and airlines regarding travel restrictions, Princess Cruises is extending its pause in cruise operations impacting the following voyages:

• All cruises sailing in and out of Australia on Majestic Princess, Regal Princess, Sapphire Princess, Sea Princess, and Sun Princess through October 31, 2020
  • All sailings in Asia, Caribbean, California Coast, Hawaii, Mexico, Panama Canal, South America & Antarctica, Japan, and Tahiti/South Pacific through December 15, 2020

"We share in our guests' disappointment in cancelling these cruises," said Jan Swartz, Princess Cruises president. "We look forward to the days when we can return to travel and the happiness it brings to all who cruise."

Guests currently booked on these cancelled voyages who have paid Princess in full will have the option to receive a refundable Future Cruise Credit (FCC) equivalent to 100% of the cruise fare paid plus an additional non-refundable bonus FCC equal to 25% of the cruise fare.

For guests who have not paid in full, Princess will Double the Deposit, providing a refundable FCC for the money currently on deposit plus a matching bonus FCC that can be used on any voyage through May 1, 2022. The matching bonus FCC is non-refundable, will not exceed the base cruise fare amount of the currently booked cruise, and will have a minimum value of $100 per person.

To receive the above FCCs, no action is required by the guest or their travel advisor. Alternatively, guests can request a full refund for all monies paid on their booking through this online form. Requests must be received by August 31, 2020 or guests will be registered for the Future Cruise Credit option.

Princess will protect travel advisor commissions on bookings for cancelled cruises that were paid in full in recognition of the critical role they play in the cruise line’s business and success.

The link: https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/global-ship-operations-pause-december-2020.html

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bouhunter said:

The only question is when to the other lines follow suit.

Carnival is expected to make an announcement tomorrow and some postings on Social Media Sites said they received Cancellation email for their Cruise (s).  I would think we’ll hear something on HAL next day or two.  😢

On Monday I started a thread titled "World Travel & Tourism Council", July 28, 10 a.m.-1:30 p.m., you can register by going to www.CovidScienceSummit.com, but although the thread has had 115 views, there hasn't been a single reply.

A HAL supervisor alerted me to this event saying Carnival Corporation executives would be participating.

While I realize anything is possible, I am wondering about the probability of further enlightenment on the subjects frequently being discussed on the HAL forum from participating in this event.

7 hours ago, DeeDee Groff said:

I am wondering about the probability of further enlightenment on the subjects frequently being discussed on the HAL forum from participating in this event.

From Carnival's quarterly earnings call a coupla weeks back -- they closed off the call promoting this event.  Scott.

source: https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2020/07/10/carnival-corp-plc-ccl-q2-2020-earnings-call-transc.aspx

Arnold W. Donald -- President and Chief Executive Officer

Great. Thank you. All right, everyone, Robin, you asked early on question, but all of you -- I'd like to invite all of you, July 28, you can go to the following site to register, it's CovidScienceSummit.com -- CovidScienceSummit.com. We're producing for the WTTC that's the World Travel and Tourism Council, gathering of well renowned scientists to give the current state of understanding and knowledge about COVID-19, everything from the epidemiology to transmission to detection, prevention, treatment and practically giving where society is today, what seems to be the best knowledge around how society can effectively manage through the virus. So to be, as you know, this information is constantly changing in terms of knowledge around COVID-19, but it will be, at that point in time, some of the best minds in the world sharing their perspectives.

So, you all welcome to attend. It's free and open to the public and is jointly hosted by ourselves at Carnival Corporation and WTTC.

With that, I thank you for your time today. We really appreciate your interest and the questions. We're very much looking forward to resuming in Germany, and eventually everywhere around the world. And again, I couldn't be more proud of our entire team managing through what has been a very challenging time, but also a time that we're using to get leaner and stronger and come out even more powerful than we were before. So thank you all for your attention. Thank you, operator.

Keep in mind that when this pause ends the US will be in the middle of the normal cold and flu season.  Unless a vaccine gets out there earlier then expected it will be hard for them to start up when one will not easily know if their symptoms are flu/cold or COVID.  Fun trying to travel with temperature checks during cold and flu season.