Why can’t we use Future Cruise Credits for flights?

For two cruises we had booked, one in March and one for December 2020, we are still waiting for the FCC to post to our Mariner accounts (latest promise is mid-August). We have been told by our TA that FCCs cannot be used to cover air. I see wording to this effect on my HAL website “My Account” page.

Why not? Has anyone been given a valid explanation?

We paid more than $2400 to HAL/Flightease for our March cruise‘s first class air. HAL eventually after three months returned the port tax and airline tax, and rest of the package cost was held for FCC. We will need air again to sail on the replacement cruise we hope to take in November 2021. 

24 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Because it's HAL's program, and they make the rules.

I guess you’re right. They are, no doubt, desperate for cash and don’t want to use their FCC liability as a payout to an airline or hotel. They need to have it utilized only to put people onboard where they will gamble, buy drinks and go to art auctions to generate more income. And I’m sure they hope a lot of it will simply expire unused, to get the liability off the balance sheet.

2 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

For two cruises we had booked, one in March and one for December 2020, we are still waiting for the FCC to post to our Mariner accounts (latest promise is mid-August). We have been told by our TA that FCCs cannot be used to cover air. I see wording to this effect on my HAL website “My Account” page.

Why not? Has anyone been given a valid explanation?

We paid more than $2400 to HAL/Flightease for our March cruise‘s first class air. HAL eventually after three months returned the port tax and airline tax, and rest of the package cost was held for FCC. We will need air again to sail on the replacement cruise we hope to take in November 2021. 

My air fare is being returned separately and was not included in the FCC. You might find your situation is similar.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, richwmn said:

My air fare is being returned separately and was not included in the FCC. You might find your situation is similar.

Agree, "Flight Ease" airfare is refunded in cash (credit back to your card).  Eventually...

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

That would be great ...but we already received the port tax and airline tax three months after cancellation, so hence my doubts now another month later. But hearing this from two people gives me hope that it will eventually come.

5 hours ago, richwmn said:

Remember too that what you pay HAL for air fare passes in a large amount (all?) to the respective airlines. And everything I have seen being reports is that Base Cruise fare is the only thing that becomes FCC. Airfare, Taxes & Port Fees are all returned back to the original form of payment. 

Same here. Airfare, port fees, taxes, excursions, and other prepayments refunded to cc. Base cruise fare refunded to cc because that's what we elected. HAL 125% and 150% cancellation bonuses became nonrefundable FCC, which we have applied to future cruises and are still trying to use.

Airfare refunds might be slower because HAL is waiting for a refund from the airlines.
After this hit and tanked our six month world trip, we received full refunds from HAL, a river cruise, some rentals in Ireland, and British Airways. We are still waiting on three major airlines and had to charge back to get refunded from a fourth.

19 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Airfare refunds might be slower because HAL is waiting for a refund from the airlines.
After this hit and tanked our six month world trip, we received full refunds from HAL, a river cruise, some rentals in Ireland, and British Airways. We are still waiting on three major airlines and had to charge back to get refunded from a fourth.

That’s a very good point.  I am still waiting for 2 different air line refunds as well.  The flights were cancelled in March and April for April and May flights and I have been told I will be waiting another 4 - 8 weeks at best.  Same thing with my travel insurance claim.

1 hour ago, kazu said:

That’s a very good point.  I am still waiting for 2 different air line refunds as well.  The flights were cancelled in March and April for April and May flights and I have been told I will be waiting another 4 - 8 weeks at best.  Same thing with my travel insurance claim.

Good input. When I feel put-upon, it helps my patience to hear from all of you.

• Like 1

Our June 20 voyage was cancelled April 15, we received our shore excursion refunds (to the credit card used to pay for them) 30 days later, and another refund to the credit card for the airfare and port fees and taxes at the 90-day mark. No fuss, no muss, but patience is required.

Our airfare, port fees, pre-cruise, hotel, etc was credited to our HAL account.  The FCC is still on hold with them for our June 2020 canceled cruise.  We already chose another cruise for June 2021 (fingers crossed) and I am assuming (hope I am not wrong) that the credit with HAL will pay for new flights for new cruise.  The FCC will cover the cruise portion. 

This hit everyone so hard I pray the cruise industry comes back from this. 

I try to focus on the fact that we are healthy and our family is healthy.  We are retired so it really hasn't hit us financially so many

others are hurting.  So, I hang on to hope and try to be patient.

Pat