Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

On 8/1/2022 at 10:27 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Speaking of rooftop experiences, I have several times enjoyed a glass of wine or an aperitif on the bar at the top of the Hotel Forum (also called the American Bar) just around sunset. It overlooks the Forum and other nearby monuments. Truly one of my favorites.  

Do you need to have reservations or can you just go up for a cocktail? I also read - someone recommended go up there for breakfast which also sounds delightful to me. Their website doesn't give me a lot of information. Do you know if they still do breakfast.?

On 8/3/2022 at 4:41 PM, RTR 21-0 said:

It could be quite possible our husbands are related 😄 If I hear "I'm doing this for you" one more time I'm going to tell him, "great, we're maxing out the credit card." I love it!! LOL Joking aside, he has said he knows about Rome what he learned in school but is interested in visiting, he just doesn't want any part of the planning since it requires a lot of energy and his brain is tired from work.  Yes, agreed, only he is not tired from work. Would just be happy for me to plan and he show up. I just try and find good food and drink to bribe him into the other stuff. He's super excited about the cruise though......because he didn't have to plan it lol.   This thread has been very helpful figuring out which area is best to stay in due to our limited time there.  Got excited about Albergo del Senato but they require a three-night stay which unfortunately isn't doable for us so it's back to the drawing board.  

@RTR 21-0 I ended up booking the Hotel Smeraldo, a room with a balcony, that looks very nice. It might not be to your liking but that is one that CruiseMom also mentioned. I have since found an amazing Airbnb within a block of the that hotel but closer to the Pantheon, so I'm going to cancel the Hotel. Sacrificing close to metro for location to everything else. 

• 2 months later...

So much great information on this thread! Thanks so much!!

We will be in Rome for a back to back on Odyssey next October. My question is about using Marriott points for a hotel. We are looking at either the W Hotel or the Pantheon Iconic Rome Hotel, as they look to be closest to Campo de Fiori. Would anyone have any experience/opinion on these or any other of the Marriott properties? Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, vplsh said:

So much great information on this thread! Thanks so much!!

We will be in Rome for a back to back on Odyssey next October. My question is about using Marriott points for a hotel. We are looking at either the W Hotel or the Pantheon Iconic Rome Hotel, as they look to be closest to Campo de Fiori. Would anyone have any experience/opinion on these or any other of the Marriott properties? Thanks in advance!

I have walked by the Pantheon Iconic hotel several times since it opened in 2018 (and while it was being renovated). It is in a wonderful location just behind the Pantheon and very close to Piazza Navona and Campo dei Fiori which is just a bit further.

It looks like a great place if you have the points. 

Not familiar with the W Hotel itself, but the location is farther out, not as close to the three places I mentioned above (which I consider the heart of the historic area).

• Like 1

As promised... (see post #571)

I recently returned from my cruise and wanted to report back on our short stay in Rome.  Again, thank you to the contributors of this thread who assisted and made great suggestions.  The Albergo del Senato is a wonderful small hotel and we would definitely return.  What a shame we only had a short stay in Rome before continuing on our travels.  We stayed in room 204 which faces the Pantheon and has a small, but usable, balcony.  The room was compact but beautifully furnished with lovely bathroom amenities. We were very comfortable and this suited us on this particular trip as we were not unpacking our cases but rather working out of smaller bags for our Rome stay.  If I was planning a longer time in Rome and needing to open cases and settle in then I would opt for one of the larger rooms and the hotel could assist with making a room selection.  Although it was not an issue for me but it may be for some, the noise from the square continues late into the night so if you are a sensitive sleeper this room facing the Pantheon may not be the most suitable.  The rooftop bar is the quintessential Rome roof top bar that you would come to expect from a delightful hotel such as this in the center of the city.  How wonderful it is to sit and enjoy drinks listening to the ringing bells.  Pure magic.  We walked about 10 miles a day visiting all of our favorite spots from previous visits to Rome and fell in love with the city all over again.  Aperol spritz and antipasto on Piazza Navona is something we thoroughly enjoy doing and I think it is one of the best places to people watch.  On the go we grabbed a delicious prosciutto and cheese sandwich at L' Antica Salumeria across the square from the hotel - make sure you ask for the thin rustic bread (sorry, can't remember the name of it but I am sure one of you can chime in!).  I connected with the hotel ahead of our stay and they assisted in booking us at Osteria del Sostegno which was divine.  We selected a wonderful Amarone and then continued to stuff our faces course by course.  Sensational pasta dishes followed by grilled veal and vegetable sides of chick peas w/ rosemary and chili and a sautéed spinach dish.   The restaurant is a short stroll from the hotel and should definitely be on your 'go to' list the next time you are in Rome.

Photo attached of antipasto on Piazza Navona and a short video of the view from our Albergo del Senato room with small balcony.

Thank you all,

Ashley

IMG_2086.jpg

Edited by goldengatecruisers
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 10/25/2022 at 3:03 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I have walked by the Pantheon Iconic hotel several times since it opened in 2018 (and while it was being renovated). It is in a wonderful location just behind the Pantheon and very close to Piazza Navona and Campo dei Fiori which is just a bit further.

It looks like a great place if you have the points. 

Not familiar with the W Hotel itself, but the location is farther out, not as close to the three places I mentioned above (which I consider the heart of the historic area).

Thank you @cruisemom42! The Pantheon Iconic Hotel is our first choice!

17 hours ago, llhillman said:

Thank you for the info!!

We have been researching hotels for our trip next October. This past September we stayed at The W which was wonderful but we had points which we used for the stay. We do not anticipate accruing enough points to return there so I've been looking at smaller, independent options. 

We discovered this boutique hotel in the Monti district: rates are reasonable, excellent reviews, new hotel which opened this past June and their rate calendar is open for late 2023. They offer an 'American" style buffet breakfast which is not included in the base rate but that option is offered.
We booked a superior suite with view.

https://sentho.it/

13 hours ago, pjhgjh said:

Has anyone ever stayed at the Golden tulip Piram hotel in Rome, We will be traveling next Nov and this is the hotel that NCL booked us with.    https://rome-piram.goldentulip.com/en-us/

It will be my husband and I traveling, we will be staying 3 days in Rome before boarding the NCL Prima on November 11, 2023

It's a hotel very near to Termini station, the major rail station, which to me is a plus/minus location. On the plus side it is well connected to most parts of the center because of being a major depot not just for trains but also for buses. And both of the major metro lines cross there. Several HOHO tours start there. And if you are planning to take the train from the airport into Rome and/or from Rome to Civitavecchia, it's very convenient as you won't need a taxi to get to your hotel.

On the other side, since NCL booked you into the hotel, I am guessing you have NCL transfers from the airport and to the port?  If so, the location starts to become more of a minus (to me).  It's not the most cheerful part of the city and parts can look a bit run down. You don't have as many good choices with regards to nearby restaurants and it doesn't have the evening ambiance of areas like Trevi, the Pantheon, Navona or Campo dei Fiori where there are lots of people out walking after dinner, enjoying the scenery (which is well lit), maybe having a gelato or a late drink on one of the piazzas....

For walking to the sites it is also a bit less central.

I'm sorry but I know nothing about the hotel itself. It looks pleasant enough on the website, fairly typical.

• Thanks 1

Having stayed once near Termini, never again.  While our hotel was nice, the area is not and I did not feel safe, walking by open drug use. YMMV.  That plus the distance to the sights have made us choose other areas that are safe to walk around in the evenings nearer to the Centro storico,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/26/2022 at 12:01 PM, goldengatecruisers said:

Aperol spritz and antipasto on Piazza Navona is something we thoroughly enjoy doing and I think it is one of the best places to people watch

Which restaurant was this at?  We are staying at a hotel in Piazza Navona next May and would like to try it.  TIA

32 minutes ago, RTR 21-0 said:

Which restaurant was this at?  We are staying at a hotel in Piazza Navona next May and would like to try it.  TIA

Aperol spritz and antipasto are on the menu at every restaurant on Piazza Navona...take your pick.

We go to Ai Tre Tartufi because the owner, Angelo, remembers us and provides excellent service and conversation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

Aperol spritz and antipasto are on the menu at every restaurant on Piazza Navona...take your pick.

We go to Ai Tre Tartufi because the owner, Angelo, remembers us and provides excellent service and conversation.

Thanks!  Making a few notes for our trip as I'm sure we'll have that deer in the headlights look most of the time so if I see recommended restaurants, I won't be inclined to waste time questioning if it's any good.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MsMaryPoppins said:

Speaking of Hotel Navona, how was it?   We are booked for May 2023.  First time in Italy!!

We were very satisfied with Hotel Navona. The central location was perfect for walking wherever we wanted to go. It’s just around the corner from the Pantheon. We had a top floor corner room with a small balcony on each side. Room was small but it served our needs. Our nightly rate included a hot breakfast buffet which was very good. If you’re looking for a authentic Italian, boutique hotel, I think it fits the bill. We would stay there again. 

• Like 3

On 10/29/2022 at 2:55 PM, skiiergirl said:

Which Marriott or Hilton hotel would you recommend? 
(I know most of you use “independent” hotels but Mr Ski insists on  various Hilton or Marriott brands) 

I'm also interested in Marriott hotels.  That's where my points are.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, njkruzer said:

I'm also interested in Marriott hotels.  That's where my points are.

If you have enough Marriott points, I recommend the W- outstanding hotel: service, accommodations and location. We stayed there this past September for 4 days and the staff was most welcoming and pleasant. Their concierge will assist you with anything. We had shipped our large pieces of luggage in advance, they securely stored it for us and when we arrived at midnight, they brought it to our room. We discovered that either customs or the local receiver and locked it and we were unable to open it. I went to the front desk and they immediately sent up an engineer who was able to open it without causing any damage. Breakfast is not included, but we ate there every morning- nice selection of hot foods, cheeses, breads and fruits. Would stay there again if I had enough points.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, llhillman said:

If you have enough Marriott points, I recommend the W- outstanding hotel: service, accommodations and location. We stayed there this past September for 4 days and the staff was most welcoming and pleasant. Their concierge will assist you with anything. We had shipped our large pieces of luggage in advance, they securely stored it for us and when we arrived at midnight, they brought it to our room. We discovered that either customs or the local receiver and locked it and we were unable to open it. I went to the front desk and they immediately sent up an engineer who was able to open it without causing any damage. Breakfast is not included, but we ate there every morning- nice selection of hot foods, cheeses, breads and fruits. Would stay there again if I had enough points.

The location's not fantastic, but it's not terrible either.  It's about a 25-30 minute walk to the Pantheon (my "ground zero" in central Rome). Not too far from Barberini where there are some good restaurants for dinner, including one of my favorites, Colline Emiliane.

• Like 1

There are a couple Mariott properties with maybe 5 walking minutes of each other up in the Via Veneto/Barberini area: The W, the Westin Excelsior, Mariott Grand Flora and the St. Regis.  I stayed at the Westin on employee benefit.  Across the street from the US Embassy, so it gets a lot of business from there and a few cruise lines use it as their pre-cruise hotel.  It's a classic old hotel.   I haven't stayed at the others, just stopped in at the St. Regis to add another Bloody Mary to my list (each St Regis around the world does it own special take on the Bloody Mary).  Like cruisemom said,  it's maybe a 30 minute walk downhill to the Pantheon area.  There is  Metro stop at Piazza Barberini and one the top of the hill.  I always walked - Via Ludovisi to the Spanish Steps and down.