Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

1 hour ago, DCThunder said:

@cruisemom42

Do you have any recommendations for a hotel in Civitavecchia for one night post cruise? 

Some cruise companions are planning a week in Rome post cruise and we're doing an excursion from Civitavecchia before I get back on the ship for a TA to FLL.  They're thinking of staying in Civitavecchia for the night before heading back to Rome.

This would be in early December, if that makes any difference.

Friends stayed here and really enjoyed it. To quote them "quirky little 5 room bnb, clean, quiet and relaxing with a view out over the water" FWIW.. Might be worth a try. 

F3B08BA5-C5A8-4EF1-900A-4774B50C6768.jpeg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, moonbee73 said:

Does anyone know if any of the Marriott of Hyatt hotels are centrally located in Rome, I have points I was hoping to use for 2 nights prior to our cruise

It's not directly behind the Colosseum on Pantheon, but the W Roma is a Marriott hotel.  It looks fabulous.  It's not too far from everything you'd want to see.  We're staying there next month so I can report back after the trip. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Choozin Croozin said:

Friends stayed here and really enjoyed it. To quote them "quirky little 5 room bnb, clean, quiet and relaxing with a view out over the water" FWIW.. Might be worth a try. 

F3B08BA5-C5A8-4EF1-900A-4774B50C6768.jpeg

Yes, that’s our favourite too! Definitely worth a try.

Edited by lisiamc

On 6/20/2023 at 11:54 AM, mahdnc said:

The Pantheon Iconic Rome Hotel is a good candidate, location-wise.  It is located right behind the Pantheon.

We really like the Pantheon Iconic. It's very modern, has some odd design quirks, and a very European vibe. The location can't be beat. It's an Autograph Collection hotel, so Americans should be prepared for a more boutique-style experience than a mainstream Marriott or Westin. You won't get the same gushing "thanks for being a gold member" that you will at the bigger hotels. 

On 6/21/2023 at 8:20 AM, lisiamc said:

Yes, that’s our favourite too! Definitely worth a try.

My friends are in contact with the Loris and Rita and are deciding which room the want to book.  Thanks very much for the recommendation!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, moonbee73 said:

We are staying in Rome 2 nights prior to our cruise, looking for recommendations for 1 night post cruise, should we go back to Rome? 

If it were me, I'd head back to Rome.  There's so much more to do...even for just a day...in Rome.

Check back on this thread for highly recommended hotels.  We book in an area roughly bordered by the Pantheon and Piazza Navona for proximity to interesting sites and great restaurants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

If it were me, I'd head back to Rome.  There's so much more to do...even for just a day...in Rome.

Check back on this thread for highly recommended hotels.  We book in an area roughly bordered by the Pantheon and Piazza Navona for proximity to interesting sites and great restaurants.

Thank you

We just returned from 2 nights in Rome after our cruise. We stayed at Albergo Santa Chiara which is very near the Pantheon. We completely enjoyed our stay. The hotel was convenient, modern inside, quiet, very comfortable and had a very good breakfast. It is moderately priced and would highly recommend

• Like 4

On 6/8/2023 at 1:10 PM, cruisemom42 said:

That's up to individual choice. I've stayed at a number of hotels in Rome and keep returning to the del Senato over time. But as a solo I am in a very different situation and I realize that. Not too many hotels in Rome offer prime view "solo" rooms. Many, many times I have faced alleys, walls, fire escapes et al in single rooms (not just in Rome....). For me it is a "sweet spot" -- plus I have many favorite restaurants in the near vicinity, which is important to me as a solo female traveler at night. 

I have recommended Hotel Smeraldo to others as a good budget choice and it makes sense for longer stays. I haven't stayed there personally but have friends who've stayed several times and have been very happy with it.

We’ve been talking about staying at the Alberto del Senato. I just noticed they have a 4 night minimum to get the Pantheon view. Is a day trip to Florence or a winery in Tuscany feasible from here?  I really wanted the Pantheon view, but 4 nights would take all our days between Venice and getting in our cruise in Naples. I looked up your other recommendation, Hotel Smeraldo, for a budget hotel and see we could get a junior suite for the coat of a superior at del Senato!  We probably wouldn’t though. How is the location?  If I’m going to splurge on a hotel, I’d prefer to do that in Positano. I may even consider an air B&B again. I recall finding some over the bridge that were quite reasonable. Not sure how far it is from all the attractions though. The Marriott is another consideration but I doubt our points would go far there. It looked quite expensive!  

8 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

If I’m going to splurge on a hotel, I’d prefer to do that in Positano. I may even consider an air B&B again. I recall finding some over the bridge that were quite reasonable.

If there is a key message, I would say it is this:  Location is EVERYTHING in Rome. You want to be very centrally located, especially if you are only staying there for a couple of nights. You don't have to go "top of the line" with your hotel, just find one that is a well-reviewed three-star that is within the "golden square":  west of Trevi Fountain, east of Campo dei Fiori, north of Forum Romanum and south of Piazza del Popolo.

The Pantheon is roughly "ground zero" within this area, which is why I frequently recommend it. But there are other hotels in the vicinity. The Albergo Santa Chiara, just recommended above is one to consider. It is tucked just behind the Pantheon; still a great location. Many other options are mentioned in this thread if you mine it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We’ve been talking about staying at the Alberto del Senato. I just noticed they have a 4 night minimum to get the Pantheon view. Is a day trip to Florence or a winery in Tuscany feasible from here?  I really wanted the Pantheon view, but 4 nights would take all our days between Venice and getting in our cruise in Naples. I looked up your other recommendation, Hotel Smeraldo, for a budget hotel and see we could get a junior suite for the coat of a superior at del Senato!  We probably wouldn’t though. How is the location?  If I’m going to splurge on a hotel, I’d prefer to do that in Positano. I may even consider an air B&B again. I recall finding some over the bridge that were quite reasonable. Not sure how far it is from all the attractions though. The Marriott is another consideration but I doubt our points would go far there. It looked quite expensive!  

There are day trips to Tuscany or Florence offered from Rome. So it can be done. Makes for a long day though (esp Florence). 

10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

If there is a key message, I would say it is this:  Location is EVERYTHING in Rome. You want to be very centrally located, especially if you are only staying there for a couple of nights. You don't have to go "top of the line" with your hotel, just find one that is a well-reviewed three-star that is within the "golden square":  west of Trevi Fountain, east of Campo dei Fiori, north of Forum Romanum and south of Piazza del Popolo.

The Pantheon is roughly "ground zero" within this area, which is why I frequently recommend it. But there are other hotels in the vicinity. The Albergo Santa Chiara, just recommended above is one to consider. It is tucked just behind the Pantheon; still a great location. Many other options are mentioned in this thread if you mine it.

A few months ago I read this thread in its entirety and I had my heart set on Albergo del Senato with the Pantheon view. Dh likes that idea too, especially since we will only get here once. I was just kind of hoping we could do Florence a couple days and Rome a couple days, which isn’t an option if we want to stay there and get a Pantheon view. 

When you refer to the Pantheon as ground zero, do you mean it’s in the middle of everything?  I need to see if I can find a map of the area. 

9 hours ago, mahdnc said:

There are day trips to Tuscany or Florence offered from Rome. So it can be done. Makes for a long day though (esp Florence). 

I need to look into this.  

20 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We’ve been talking about staying at the Alberto del Senato. I just noticed they have a 4 night minimum to get the Pantheon view. Is a day trip to Florence or a winery in Tuscany feasible from here?

I'm a bit confused about the time you have available for what you're planning between cruises.  Your signature states you're cruising on NCL embarking July 3, 2024.  That cruise disembarks in Venice (Trieste) on July 12.  The following MSC cruise embarks in Naples on July 15.

Unless I'm missing something, you'll have three full days between cruises.  If so, my suggestion would be to pick one location...Venice, Florence, Rome, or Naples...and spend your time there.  Considering the time constraints, I would take the train to Rome upon disembarkation in Venice, stay three nights there, then travel down to Naples via train the morning of the 15th.

There are many very nice hotels in the area outlined by @cruisemom42.  We've stayed in some very nice hotels ranging from Albergo del Senato down to some I don't even want to mention.  We're looking forward to our stay at Hotel Smeraldo for the first time this fall.  According to Google Maps it's a nine minute walk to the Pantheon...very convenient.

Good luck with your trip planning...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

I'm a bit confused about the time you have available for what you're planning between cruises.  Your signature states you're cruising on NCL embarking July 3, 2024.  That cruise disembarks in Venice (Trieste) on July 12.  The following MSC cruise embarks in Naples on July 15.

Unless I'm missing something, you'll have three full days between cruises.  If so, my suggestion would be to pick one location...Venice, Florence, Rome, or Naples...and spend your time there.  Considering the time constraints, I would take the train to Rome upon disembarkation in Venice, stay three nights there, then travel down to Naples via train the morning of the 15th.

There are many very nice hotels in the area outlined by @cruisemom42.  We've stayed in some very nice hotels ranging from Albergo del Senato down to some I don't even want to mention.  We're looking forward to our stay at Hotel Smeraldo for the first time this fall.  According to Google Maps it's a nine minute walk to the Pantheon...very convenient.

Good luck with your trip planning...

We’re getting off the NCL cruise on the 11th to spend the night in Venice. We will have the 11th and part of the 12th in Venice and then take the train to Rome. We had considered heading to Florence on the 12th but it doesn’t sound like we have time. The cruise from Naples doesn’t leave Naples until 10 PM or so. We won’t be in a hurry to embark, although I’d like to be on in time for dinner. I believe it’s only a little over an hour from Rome. Correct?  So we will have all of the 13th and 14th, plus part of the 15th in Rome. 

Please let us know what you think of Hotel Smeraldo.   

7 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Please let us know what you think of Hotel Smeraldo.   

Will do.  If you think you may want to stay there I suggest you book now while there are rooms with free cancelation available.  

29 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

Will do.  If you think you may want to stay there I suggest you book now while there are rooms with free cancelation available.  

I think dh still wants the Pantheon view. What type of room did you book?  I see they have balcony rooms. What do they overlook?  They also have Parione and Junior suites. So many decisions!  I’m not sure how much time we will spend in our room but I would like to be comfortable when we are there. It’s to early to book the other place so it’s hard to price compare since I don’t know how much the rooms will go up for high season. 

I just tried a mock booking for both Hotel Smeraldo and Albergo del Senato.  They are both only booking into May of 2024 so looks like we have to wait a couple of months.  I don't want to give up at least one night in Venice, so I can't guarantee a Pantheon view room at Albergo del Senato so we may go with Hotel Smeraldo.  Do you think it would do any good to email them as soon as the open reservations and ask if they would be willing to give us a Superior room for 3 nights or is it too easy for them to book up so they are firm on the 4-5 night minimum?  Also, if May prices are any indication, we could book a suite at Hotel Smeraldo for less than a superior at AdS.  I know location is everything, but space would be nice too.  If they won't budge on their minimum stay requirements, we will definitely go with Smeraldo.  It sounds like Hotel Smeraldo has a good location too, right?  Just doesn't have a pretty view.

Edited to add:  Upon a second try, I was able to book next July.  Do you think we would spend enough time in the room to justify booking a suite or just go with a balcony or parione room?  What is a parione room?

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

We stayed at the Albergo for three nights last year. We had the superior room. I suggest you email them asking to reserve for your three nights. Let them tell you whether they will rent it to you or not. You don't have to get into that discussion in your email.

According to price and their answer, you can cancel the Smeraldo reservation. 

20220602_072634.jpg

20220601_103153.jpg

20220601_103144.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, marazul said:

We stayed at the Albergo for three nights last year. We had the superior room. I suggest you email them asking to reserve for your three nights. Let them tell you whether they will rent it to you or not. You don't have to get into that discussion in your email.

According to price and their answer, you can cancel the Smeraldo reservation. 

20220602_072634.jpg

20220601_103153.jpg

We booked a Junior Suite with Terrace at Hotel Smeraldo. It doesn't appear to have a view.  According to the cancelation policy, we can cancel without penalty if Albergo will let us book a superior for 3 nights. While all that space would be great, this view is even better!  Is there plenty of room to walk around their superior room?  I'm sure we will have at least 2 suitcases.  Once decision down.  Several to go!  lol

11 minutes ago, marazul said:

It isn't huge, but plenty of space for your luggage.  Very nice bathrooms. 

Thanks!  The plan is to cancel Smeraldo for this is they will let us book a Pantheon view for 3 nights.  Otherwise, we will enjoy all the extra space with the suite.  We'll be in Rome, so either choice is good!  🙂

• Like 1