Great Cruising Memories

7 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Another time, we got onboard, unpacked, and realized DH had no underwear. 

Embarking the Volendam in Auckland and after unpacking, I discovered that I did not pack enough undershirts.  Plenty of underpants, however.  I make packing lists and check/double check the list before I close/lock the bags.  My list showed the proper number of undershirts, but they were not there.  I was OK for a few days, but the first order of business when we docked at Wellington was to take the shuttle into downtown, visit a department store, and buy more undershirts.  Fortunately, the shuttle stop was across the street from a large department store.

I still don't understand how this happened.  

How about having the jacket to my tuxedo and not having the pants!  LOL...my black slacks passed without notice.  How about the time I was dining onboard the Liberty Of The Seas in full formal wear.  As I was leaving the table I caught the sole of my dress shoe and ripped it off.  I had to limp back to the cabin.  

• Like 1

Another packing boo-boo.  I had a favorite pair of swimming trunks that I had worn for many cruises.  Originally, they were a dark blue.  After years of exposure to the chemicals in the pools, they had turned a nice shade of purple.  Whatever:  I didn't care what the color was, just as long as they still fit.

The first day at sea on the Nieuw Amsterdam, I prepared to go to the Greenhouse Spa to enjoy the Hydrotherapy Pool and Thermal Suite.  Putting on the swimming trunks, I was quite surprised to learn that the elastic in the waist band had "retired".  They were so loose that if I had try to wear them, I'd be in the brig for indecent exposure!

Hastily re-dressed and visited the Shops on Board with the hope that they had a pair of swimming trunks that would fit.  They did!  They were a "name brand" and cost much more than my former JCP purchased trunks.  But, I was properly "clothed" for the Greenhouse Spa!

How about the time we were sailing from Boston on the Jewel Of The Seas. I was already ensconced in our cabin on the tenth deck.  I was standing on the balcony watching them load the luggage.  I watched as a forklift push an entire rack, loaded with luggage, straight into the harbor.  Fortunately the forklift did not follow the rack into the water!  Unfortunately two of our friends were victims of this mishap.  The Coast Guard fished the luggage out of the harbor.  They were given clothing from the shops onboard and their entire wardrobe was cleaned onboard.  They also received a monetary settlement.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

How about the time we were sailing from Boston on the Jewel Of The Seas. I was already ensconced in our cabin on the tenth deck.  I was standing on the balcony watching them load the luggage.  I watched as a forklift push an entire rack, loaded with luggage, straight into the harbor.  Fortunately the forklift did not follow the rack into the water!  Unfortunately two of our friends were victims of this mishap.  The Coast Guard fished the luggage out of the harbor.  They were given clothing from the shops onboard and their entire wardrobe was cleaned onboard.  They also received a monetary settlement.  

I have heard of that happening and am thankful that it has not happened to me!

Back in the days when passengers "dressed" for afternoon tea, I sometimes wore a large-brimmed "garden party" hat.  On Regal Empress, I arrived at the lounge to find I could not fit through the doorway.  I had to compress both sides of the hat to get in.

Every time I see one of the Funny Pets videos of a dog with a wide stick in his mouth, trying to run through a doorway, I picture myself in that hat.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Back in the days when passengers "dressed" for afternoon tea,

I do not remember that.  Those were probably during my early years of cruising and afternoon tea was mostly something that I read about in the daily program.  Or, if "afternoon tea" was being served out on deck, that is probably when I "took tea".  

On 11/20/2020 at 4:43 PM, rkacruiser said:

I do not remember that.  Those were probably during my early years of cruising and afternoon tea was mostly something that I read about in the daily program.  Or, if "afternoon tea" was being served out on deck, that is probably when I "took tea".  

Tea??  I hear they actually put water in it!! 😂

I’m sitting here this morning and trying to think good thoughts...getting more difficult at this time.  We have so many great cruise memories.  One just came to mind.  I was onboard the Regent Sea ex Gripsholm in Puerto Limon, Costa Rica.  The port was covered with tropical vegetation and it was so peaceful...easy on the eyes.  I decided to stay onboard and enjoy the ship during our port stay.  There was a forward lounge on the Regent Sea that was one of the most beautiful lounges I had ever seen.  The lounge spanned the width of the ship and had many picture windows overlooking the bow.  It was decorated in tropical green with tropical plants.  I spent about 2 hours sitting in that lounge and enjoying the view as well as the serenity of that beautiful lounge on an empty ship.  I don’t think that I saw one other person in that big beautiful lounge while I was there. It was surreal.  This was probably one of the most peaceful moments in my chaotic lifetime...truly memorable.  I hope this story inspires others who have had similar memories onboard.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 2

On 11/19/2020 at 4:51 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

How about having the jacket to my tuxedo and not having the pants!  LOL...my black slacks passed without notice.  How about the time I was dining onboard the Liberty Of The Seas in full formal wear.  As I was leaving the table I caught the sole of my dress shoe and ripped it off.  I had to limp back to the cabin.  

I retired my tux just a couple of years ago , packed it for over 50 cruises starting in mid 1980’s . Did wear my black cowboy boots with tux a few times . Went thru several tux’s they seem to shrink with the salt air 😁😁

5 hours ago, George C said:

I retired my tux just a couple of years ago , packed it for over 50 cruises starting in mid 1980’s . Did wear my black cowboy boots with tux a few times . Went thru several tux’s they seem to shrink with the salt air 😁😁

I have a pair of Nike sneakers that are fury black with small gold lightning insignias.  I call them my “formal sneakers”...LOL.  I wear them with my tux because they are soooo comfortable and you’d never think they were sneakers.  I hear you about retiring the tux but I have 4 of them.  I gained weight over the years and now I’m losing it.  I also have a half dozen fancy vests that compliment the tux.  The last time I donned my tux I got many compliments.  Sometimes you just have to fly the flag...so to speak.  There are different cruise lines that I would not bother to bring the tux and a few others where you wouldn’t want to get caught without it.  

• Like 1

I think DH has four tuxedos, as well, and has taken one on every cruise.

George, Did you wear a Western tuxedo?  I recall being on the dance floor on a HAL cruise, and noticing that the man next to me was wearing a tux with slightly different tailoring (including yoke at the back), and a bolo tie.

CGT, I love your story of your experience on Regent Sea.  I think that's what I would call Bliss.

One of our most blissful memories was on Meridian.  We were walking through the ship in the evening, perhaps after the show, and while in an elevator lobby, heard live dance music being played.  We started dancing there in the lobby, continued into the lounge, and eventually danced out the other side.  It felt so Fred and Ginger, and so magical.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, George C said:

Went thru several tux’s they seem to shrink with the salt air

Yours too?  I have owned three tuxes; two quality ones.  One was a JCP tux that I bought just "in case" something happened to the other one that I had aboard.  I wore it a few times, but, it just wasn't "right" in comparison to my other tuxes.  Tux #1:  my girth has changed.  Tux #3 is still comfortable.  (I splurged on that one having it tailor made.  That was a first for me.  I think if an alternation was now required, the tailor would be able to do so.)

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

George, Did you wear a Western tuxedo?  I recall being on the dance floor on a HAL cruise, and noticing that the man next to me was wearing a tux with slightly different tailoring (including yoke at the back), and a bolo tie.

CGT, I love your story of your experience on Regent Sea.  I think that's what I would call Bliss.

One of our most blissful memories was on Meridian.  We were walking through the ship in the evening, perhaps after the show, and while in an elevator lobby, heard live dance music being played.  We started dancing there in the lobby, continued into the lounge, and eventually danced out the other side.  It felt so Fred and Ginger, and so magical.

Oh SG, truly a Fred and Ginger moment!  It’s little snippets that happen in the blink of an eye yet the memory lasts forever.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Yours too?  I have owned three tuxes; two quality ones.  One was a JCP tux that I bought just "in case" something happened to the other one that I had aboard.  I wore it a few times, but, it just wasn't "right" in comparison to my other tuxes.  Tux #1:  my girth has changed.  Tux #3 is still comfortable.  (I splurged on that one having it tailor made.  That was a first for me.  I think if an alternation was now required, the tailor would be able to do so.)

My Italian tailor passed away recently.  Fabio was the greatest...a true artist.  He always enjoyed making my alterations to my formal wear.  We miss him very much.  The last tux he altered was a Christian Dior DW snapped up in a liquidation warehouse for a ridiculously low price.  It now fits like a bespoke suit.   

• Like 1

Another tux story:

I ordered my first tux at a local Formal Wear store.  I am an odd ball size in sleeve length and the length of the pants in comparison with the need for a somewhat portly cut. This tux was a quality piece of clothing; my requirements could be met. The date for delivery to the store continued to slip.  And slip.  One afternoon, the phone rang and I was told the tux arrived.  I went to the store;  the suit did not fit!  Back it went while the departure date of my cruise kept creeping closer.  Phone rang again; the tux has arrived.  This time, it fit perfectly.  The Manager apologized for what had happened.  He gave me a real quality set of studs and cuff links for what I had endured at no cost.  I have them today and happily wear them when I dress in a formal shirt.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The last tux he altered was a Christian Dior DW snapped up in a liquidation warehouse for a ridiculously low price.

My first formal wear purchases was in anticipation for my Royal Viking Sky cruises in 1980.  In a department store's "final sales spot", I discovered a quality light blue (and I like that color) dinner jacket.  The style--particularly the lapels, if you recall those at that time--are out of fashion now.  The jacket was "dirt cheap".  It fit PERFECTLY!  It paired perfectly with the black/white ruffled formal shirt (remember those?) and the black slacks that I had bought during that shopping trip.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Another tux story:

I ordered my first tux at a local Formal Wear store.  I am an odd ball size in sleeve length and the length of the pants in comparison with the need for a somewhat portly cut. This tux was a quality piece of clothing; my requirements could be met. The date for delivery to the store continued to slip.  And slip.  One afternoon, the phone rang and I was told the tux arrived.  I went to the store;  the suit did not fit!  Back it went while the departure date of my cruise kept creeping closer.  Phone rang again; the tux has arrived.  This time, it fit perfectly.  The Manager apologized for what had happened.  He gave me a real quality set of studs and cuff links for what I had endured at no cost.  I have them today and happily wear them when I dress in a formal shirt.  

A gentleman needs the proper cuff links and shirt studs.  It drives me nuts when I see a good looking chap decked out in a fine tux while wearing plastic studs in his shirt.  A gold watch with a gold chain for the vest always compliments the formal attire.  A gold button chain linking both sides of the jacket will top off the wardrobe accessories. 

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

My first formal wear purchases was in anticipation for my Royal Viking Sky cruises in 1980.  In a department store's "final sales spot", I discovered a quality light blue (and I like that color) dinner jacket.  The style--particularly the lapels, if you recall those at that time--are out of fashion now.  The jacket was "dirt cheap".  It fit PERFECTLY!  It paired perfectly with the black/white ruffled formal shirt (remember those?) and the black slacks that I had bought during that shopping trip.  

And don’t forget the big bow ties!  I did wear a powder blue tux on a cruise once upon a time!  LOL! 😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

It drives me nuts when I see a good looking chap decked out in a fine tux while wearing plastic studs in his shirt.  A gold watch with a gold chain for the vest always compliments the formal attire.  A gold button chain linking both sides of the jacket will top off the wardrobe accessories. 

The plastic "stuff" cheapens the look.  All of my formal shirts that I have bought come with those black plastic studs.  I don't throw them away just in case I loose my other ones.

No gold watch nor gold chain or a gold button chain linking both sides of the jacket do I own.  My favorite memory of a cruise ship Captain so properly attired is when I have cruised aboard a HAL ship whose Master is Edward G. van Zaane.  

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Always traditional tux but I did switch to bolo tie, good for our cruises out of Galveston. I did do a few Hal cruises but none recently, recently we have been doing rccl , Celebrity and MSC yacht club we is great. Love this thread.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, George C said:

Always traditional tux but I did switch to bolo tie, good for our cruises out of Galveston. I did do a few Hal cruises but none recently, recently we have been doing rccl , Celebrity and MSC yacht club we is great. Love this thread.

George, so glad you mentioned the Yacht Club.  What could be better than sitting in the lounge and enjoying your favorite pre luncheon or pre dinner libation while snacking on some of those enjoyable tidbits they lay out on the mini hors d’oeuvres buffet by the bar?  Or having breakfast up on the pool deck while in port?  Or a fabulous dinner with wine pairings all the way through dessert.  How we miss the YC.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

George, so glad you mentioned the Yacht Club.  What could be better than sitting in the lounge and enjoying your favorite pre luncheon or pre dinner libation while snacking on some of those enjoyable tidbits they lay out on the mini hors d’oeuvres buffet by the bar?  Or having breakfast up on the pool deck while in port?  Or a fabulous dinner with wine pairings all the way through dessert.  How we miss the YC.

We were supposed to sail in yacht club at end of this month. Very easy to get used to all the perks they offer.