Great Cruising Memories

We would see the crew cooks out on deck in the morning sitting, while hand grinding all the spices, so yes, everything was fresh.

One of the best stories from my days on the ship - departing Vancouver on Island Princess at the end of Ramadan. Walked into the aft mooring deck to be met with a live sheep and a couple of chickens. We worked around them while bringing in the lines🙂.

The crew had a brilliant curry that night to celebrate end of Ramadan.

In Metro Vancouver, we are spoiled for great Indian food. When in the local shipyard, we would phone in an order once a week, then pick it up and head to my Chief Officer's place for lunch. That was our weekly treat to the couple of seamen we had with us at the shipyard. Have a couple of good curry houses locally, which do delivery, so a good curry is only a quick phone call away.

On 11/11/2020 at 5:51 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I prefer the Moët Brut over the far more expensive Dom.  Even Mumm Cordon Rouge is a great wine.  

I noticed Thursday that my wine store was getting decorated for the holidays and displays of a variety of Champagnes were being set up.  I'll look for these two that you mentioned.  

Now Prosecco can be very enjoyable especially when it is made into a French 75.

I had to Google French 75.  Had not heard of that cocktail before.  I am not fond of Gin.  Drinks with Gin in them have always caused me to have headaches afterwards.  

On 11/11/2020 at 6:21 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Those ships were originally Sea Venture and Island Venture and they had Italian service onboard.

Two that I missed and have regretted doing so.

19 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

chicken curry, tandoori leg/thigh and Nan. Brilliant.

I have eaten little Indian food.  During an overland shore excursion in India, all of the hotels where we stayed had an Indian buffet.  Lots of sampling of foods that were different for all of us on my tour.  The tandoori prepared foods and Nan were my favorite.  Don't remember if I tried any curries; probably did.  

One hotel that I recall in New Delhi, the Le Meridian,  had no Western food for us on the buffet.  I was surprised at that and some of my tour members were unhappy about it.  Lots of Nan got consumed that evening.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I noticed Thursday that my wine store was getting decorated for the holidays and displays of a variety of Champagnes were being set up.  I'll look for these two that you mentioned.  

That’s the “spirit” RK!

I had to Google French 75.  Had not heard of that cocktail before.  I am not fond of Gin.  Drinks with Gin in them have always caused me to have headaches afterwards.  

RK, you make the original recipe with Cognac.  The French 75 was developed in France during WW I, named after the French artillery cannon...the 75, and they used Cognac.  The gin thing came along later.  My favorite way to prepare is with Cognac and lemon sour.  You have to get the ratio just right but when you do...pure Heaven.  Don’t forget a small slice of lemon.  

Two that I missed and have regretted doing so.

We were in NY Harbor in October 1971 on the Bremen and we were parked next to the brand new Sea Venture.  Our restaurant steward had high praise for both ships.  We convinced DW’s boss to sail on Venture the following Spring and he loved it.  

I have eaten little Indian food.  During an overland shore excursion in India, all of the hotels where we stayed had an Indian buffet.  Lots of sampling of foods that were different for all of us on my tour.  The tandoori prepared foods and Nan were my favorite.  Don't remember if I tried any curries; probably did.  

RK, you need to be shown how to dine on Indian food.  We had British friends who showed us how to attack an Indian meal.  You need to mix the food with the condiments.  A taste of curry and then a bit of lime pickle for a bit of heat then a little taste of chutney followed by a little raita or banana in yoghurt to cool your mouth down.  The combination is totally sublime.

One hotel that I recall in New Delhi, the Le Meridian,  had no Western food for us on the buffet.  I was surprised at that and some of my tour members were unhappy about it.  Lots of Nan got consumed that evening.  

Too bad RK...they don’t know what they missed.  An Indian buffet at the Meridian in New Delhi must have been spectacular.

Ah, curries.

I almost always order vegetarian dishes on cruises, and in recent years, an Indian chef has sometimes appeared at our table to ask if I'd like a curry the next night.  I would.

On our last cruise, on the Good Ship Anonymous*, we were served by an Indian waiter and an Indian AHW.  We were asked if we'd like a curry on one of the following nights; we said Yes.  We were given a delicious tableful of curries and sides, direct from the crew mess.  One of our best meals.

*I hesitate to post on CC that we got a special treat on a certain ship or line, lest someone else expect that privilege, not get it, and feel cheated.  I've seen it happen.....

• Like 1

On 11/11/2020 at 4:51 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Stay home and relax!  We gave up on New Years Eve many years ago.  We call it “Amateur Night”.  We were holiday hermits long before it became fashionable...and we do celebrate...just not in crowded places.  

To tell the truth RK...

I prefer the Moët Brut over the far more expensive Dom.  Even Mumm Cordon Rouge is a great wine.  Now we have the Domaine Chandon from California and Argentina...not bad at all.  There are many other brands that are wonderful...some show real value and others are more expensive.  Crystal, Krug, and the obsequious Veuve Clicot come to mind.  Now Prosecco can be very enjoyable especially when it is made into a French 75.  Our cruise on MSC Divina produced no less than 5 bottles in our cabin.  We literally were floating in bubbles.  I actually had to give away a bottle.  Of course we had friends in before dinner to finish the rest!  

On our cruise in November we did msc seaside in there yacht club , we upgraded the free premium drink package, the upgraded package included everything French champagne, xo cognacs, Johnny Walker Blue and other top scotch’s , they had a nice champagne bar also, bartender would pour us our favorite champagne as soon as he saw us coming.  Actually bought a couple of bottles on Domaine Chandon today.

1 hour ago, George C said:

On our cruise in November we did msc seaside in there yacht club , we upgraded the free premium drink package, the upgraded package included everything French champagne, xo cognacs, Johnny Walker Blue and other top scotch’s , they had a nice champagne bar also, bartender would pour us our favorite champagne as soon as he saw us coming.  Actually bought a couple of bottles on Domaine Chandon today.

Ahhhh...the Yacht Club with the upgraded drink package.  (It’s really difficult to improve on the YC package but if you are into the top shelf brands it is worth it.) We were in the YC on Divina in 2017 and we had been given 4 bottles of good Prosecco.  Soooo...we called Mevin, our butler, and he found the requisite ingredients to make some French 75’s.  We were staying in the forward YC suite down on 12 Deck so we were able to invite 2 other couples (old friends) who were not staying in the YC.  We treated them to French 75’s as Mevin served the hors d’oeuvres and poured the elixir.  Our friends were duly impressed with Mevin and delighted with the perfect French 75’s...great memories.

6 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Ah, curries.

I almost always order vegetarian dishes on cruises, and in recent years, an Indian chef has sometimes appeared at our table to ask if I'd like a curry the next night.  I would.

On our last cruise, on the Good Ship Anonymous*, we were served by an Indian waiter and an Indian AHW.  We were asked if we'd like a curry on one of the following nights; we said Yes.  We were given a delicious tableful of curries and sides, direct from the crew mess.  One of our best meals.

*I hesitate to post on CC that we got a special treat on a certain ship or line, lest someone else expect that privilege, not get it, and feel cheated.  I've seen it happen.....

On both our World Cruises we have had curry nights. With Princess it was only for our table and it was rather under whelming. Curry basically tasteless.

With Viking, they were held about once a month, with the last one having about 90 attendees, which is > 10 of the total pax. We met in the nightclub for pre-dinner drinks and once the galley was ready we were invited into the MDR, where they had a section roped off.

Great meal, served family style, with at least 6 different curries, rice, nan, poppadom and chutney

10 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

On both our World Cruises we have had curry nights. With Princess it was only for our table and it was rather under whelming. Curry basically tasteless.

With Viking, they were held about once a month, with the last one having about 90 attendees, which is > 10 of the total pax. We met in the nightclub for pre-dinner drinks and once the galley was ready we were invited into the MDR, where they had a section roped off.

Great meal, served family style, with at least 6 different curries, rice, nan, poppadom and chutney

I think I will have to make some curry...soon!

• Like 1

I was just looking as some daiquiri recipes when I came across the famous Mountain Top in St. Thomas.  They turned it into 16,000 sq. ft. of shopping mall.  I remember how it was back 50 years ago.  It was a small house perched on the side of the mountain   about the size of a small ranch house.  You had to descend about 20 steps to get inside.  Once you got in you saw an oblong circular bar.  There was a bartender a few blenders and a huge pile of bananas that reached the ceiling.  You could order any drink you wanted but the winner was their banana daiquiri...and it was really good.  Heavy on the rum!  Looking out you felt like you were going to fall off the mountain.  The view was spectacular.  Now that charming little piece of the old Caribbean has been changed into a shopping mall.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I was just looking as some daiquiri recipes when I came across the famous Mountain Top in St. Thomas.  They turned it into 16,000 sq. ft. of shopping mall.  I remember how it was back 50 years ago.  It was a small house perched on the side of the mountain   about the size of a small ranch house.  You had to descend about 20 steps to get inside.  Once you got in you saw an oblong circular bar.  There was a bartender a few blenders and a huge pile of bananas that reached the ceiling.  You could order any drink you wanted but the winner was their banana daiquiri...and it was really good.  Heavy on the rum!  Looking out you felt like you were going to fall off the mountain.  The view was spectacular.  Now that charming little piece of the old Caribbean has been changed into a shopping mall.  

I remember Mountain Top very well and was truly sorry to learn that a fire had destroyed the property.  Did not know what had happened to that property until my next visit to St. Thomas and saw what that piece of real estate had become.  I suppose who ever owned that property saw $$$ in his/her pocket if the property was re-developed into a mall and not into replacing the original type of venue.

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

What Prosecco's would you recommend that are really good?  

RK, there are many many Proseccos to chose from and your location might make your choice for you due to supply.  

I believe that we had La Marca onboard Divina.  I would give it 85 pts.  I always swear by Ruffino wines.  Their Chianti Gold is a favorite and I do like their Prosecco...85 pts.  Their Rose’ rates 90 pts...delish.  Marchio Brut is highly rated...90 pts.  Zonin (dry) gets 90 pts. I am game to try Montechiara...highly recommended.  

If you are having trouble finding these with your supplier then you can try the big stores or go online.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

there are many many Proseccos to chose from and your location might make your choice for you due to supply.  

I appreciate the list and will do some shopping.  Agree regarding Ruffino wines, except I don't drink much Red wine.  

Supply may well be the issue.  My wine store (a major one in my area) is having difficulty stocking an inexpensive, but good, Australian Sauvignon Blanc that I like.  Their distributor has been unable to obtain it for several weeks.  I have substituted Yellowtail with an occasional bottle of Villa Maria (New Zealand) as a treat.  I'd drink Villa Maria (or another quality New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc) all the time, but as a several glasses/day wine, that's a bit more money than I want to pay/day.  I do get a 10% discount for every 6 any size bottles of wine that I buy which helps to stretch my money.  

38 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I appreciate the list and will do some shopping.  Agree regarding Ruffino wines, except I don't drink much Red wine.  

Supply may well be the issue.  My wine store (a major one in my area) is having difficulty stocking an inexpensive, but good, Australian Sauvignon Blanc that I like.  Their distributor has been unable to obtain it for several weeks.  I have substituted Yellowtail with an occasional bottle of Villa Maria (New Zealand) as a treat.  I'd drink Villa Maria (or another quality New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc) all the time, but as a several glasses/day wine, that's a bit more money than I want to pay/day.  I do get a 10% discount for every 6 any size bottles of wine that I buy which helps to stretch my money.  

Yellow tail...mehhh.  Try some of the South American varietals.  White wines from Spain and Italy are worth investigating.  Have you tried going online?  Target, Costco, Walgreens etc.  

22 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Yellow tail...mehhh.  Try some of the South American varietals.  White wines from Spain and Italy are worth investigating.  Have you tried going online?  Target, Costco, Walgreens etc.  

I know:  Yellow Tail is not exciting.  But, I want an every day, drinkable wine, one that I enjoy that does not cost a lot.  That's why I "ration" my imbibing the New Zealand wines.  

I'll do some checking of the white wines from Italy and Spain as you have suggested.  I have tried some Italian whites.  I don't shop at Walgreen's nor Costco and try to avoid Target or Walmart as much as possible.  The stores are too darn big!

I really like most Napa or Alexander valley Cabernet, we were in a vineyard outside of Florence 4 years ago and they explained that only Chianti Classico could be made in this area, there is to spot there is a roaster on the label of all bottles, I found one I really like for just 10 a bottle I normally buy that by the case at total wine which is a great liquor store if you have one in your area. 

16 hours ago, George C said:

I normally buy that by the case at total wine which is a great liquor store if you have one in your area. 

Total Wine is my favorite wine store and I always patronize one of their stores when I am in an area where there is one.  Their prices and selection are great!  Unfortunately, there are none near where I live.  

18 hours ago, George C said:

I really like most Napa or Alexander valley Cabernet, we were in a vineyard outside of Florence 4 years ago and they explained that only Chianti Classico could be made in this area, there is to spot there is a roaster on the label of all bottles, I found one I really like for just 10 a bottle I normally buy that by the case at total wine which is a great liquor store if you have one in your area. 

Thanks for pointing out the rooster.  Most people are unaware.  Chianti is one of my all time favorites.  If you are into Cabs from Napa and Alexander Valley try Frei Brothers from Alexander Valley.  I think they were recently bought out by one of the majors but there are still some bottles hanging around.  The sell for around $15...OK...$25 recently...a bargain considering the taste is more like a great French Bordeaux...think Chateau LaFite Rothschild.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Total Wine is my favorite wine store and I always patronize one of their stores when I am in an area where there is one.  Their prices and selection are great!  Unfortunately, there are none near where I live.  

RK...have you considered moving? 😁  I wouldn’t know what life would be like without good wine merchants around me.  I think you should go online and have it shipped in.  When you find a good wine then you can order by the case!  

Agreed on Total Wine.  We are very fortunate to have some great wine suppliers here in the Boston area.  We get a 10% discount on case purchases...a real value when wine is on special.  

I had the best deal of all.  A friend of mine owned 3 wine stores in our area and he had a huge basement in his main store close to where I live.  He had an entire 10 ft. By 40 ft.  wall in the basement packed with older wine.  That wine was leftover and my friend worried that some bottles had turned so he offered them to me for 50% off his price.  I used to routinely go down and pick out a case of great varietals.  I never got a bad bottle.  Sadly...my friend retired last year and sold the business...sighhhh.  

59 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Thanks for pointing out the rooster.  Most people are unaware.  Chianti is one of my all time favorites.  If you are into Cabs from Napa and Alexander Valley try Frei Brothers from Alexander Valley.  I think they were recently bought out by one of the majors but there are still some bottles hanging around.  The sell for around $15...OK...$25 recently...a bargain considering the taste is more like a great French Bordeaux...think Chateau LaFite Rothschild.  

I like Frei brothers but have not seen it from Alexander valley in the stores recently. One of my favorite restaurants with live music has half price wine on Tuesday we got Silver Oaks Cabernet from Alexander valley last week and other visit Stags Leap Artemis both are excellent but costly, we been splurging since we cannot spend our. Money traveling. 

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

RK...have you considered moving? 😁  I wouldn’t know what life would be like without good wine merchants around me.  I think you should go online and have it shipped in.  When you find a good wine then you can order by the case!  

Moving just because of not having a Total Wine store nearby?  🤣

But, if if Publishers Clearing House comes knocking on my door or I win the Ohio Lottery?  I might be shopping for a realtor and a moving company.  😀

Ohio still has some restrictive regulations on the sale of alcohol.  I am unsure how easy (and legal) it would be for me to order wine to be shipped to me.

My wine store is the best in our area.  They are successful enough to be able to open their third store outside of the Dayton area in the northern suburbs of Cincinnati.  The owners are third generation, a brother and sister team.  The managers are knowledgeable and have pointed me to some good wines when I have inquired.  The store that I patronize is overseen by the sister.  She knows me.  And, I get excellent service.  

Moving just because of not having a Total Wine store nearby?  🤣

But, if if Publishers Clearing House comes knocking on my door or I win the Ohio Lottery?  I might be shopping for a realtor and a moving company.  😀

Ohio still has some restrictive regulations on the sale of alcohol.  I am unsure how easy (and legal) it would be for me to order wine to be shipped to me.

My wine store is the best in our area.  They are successful enough to be able to open their third store outside of the Dayton area in the northern suburbs of Cincinnati.  The owners are third generation, a brother and sister team.  The managers are knowledgeable and have pointed me to some good wines when I have inquired.  The store that I patronize is overseen by the sister.  She knows me.  And, I get excellent service.  

Check out the online stores.  They will tell you if they can ship wine.  Restrictive regulations??  When we had the lockdown the booze stores and pot shops were some of the only businesses allowed to operate...LOL.  So much for science...

23 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

When we had the lockdown the booze stores

During our lockdown in Ohio earlier in the year, the liquor/wine stores were considered "essential" businesses and were allowed to remain open.  Our grocery stores do have a selection of alcoholic beverages; some of better quality than others.  So, if my wine store would have closed, I would have some way of getting "something" for my HH.

My favorite and nationally recognized donut store, Bill's Donuts, has had to close again because of an employee testing positive.  Won't open again until the day after Thanksgiving.  Need to change my plans for breakfast on Thanksgiving morning.    

Do any of you have an Adventure With Attire story to share?

We spent Cruise Eve visiting a brother in the port city.  For some reason, DH realized he had forgotten to pack his cufflinks and shirt studs.  Brother was able to find a pair of cufflinks.  Brilliant SiL came up with a handful of brass binder holders (round top, two "legs" that can be pushed apart after putting through a stack of paper).  They saved the day.

Another time, we got onboard, unpacked, and realized DH had no underwear.  It dawned on me that I had washed the whole lot and left them in the laundry room to dry.  The ship store did stock some.

A tablemate, on formal night, was extremely apologetic that he was wearing brown dress shoes with his tuxedo.  He had injured his foot, and was unable to get his black shoes on.