Great Cruising Memories

On 11/8/2020 at 7:07 PM, rkacruiser said:

Rotterdam V had a small bar located off the Ritz Carlton Lounge called the Tropic Bar.  Never patronized it during my cruises aboard the Rotterdam.  My "watering hole" on that ship was the Ocean Bar or the Sky Lounge Bar (if I recall the name correctly) mid-ships, at its very top most passenger deck.  When I visited Hotel Rotterdam V, I was able to "visit" the Tropic Bar and then wondered:  how did you miss this venue?  Being "tucked away" in its location as it was, that has to be my only excuse.  

Loved the Rotterdam sailed her in both 1977 and 1978 out of Nyc. This was back in the days when you paid cash for drinks. This was one of the great ships that I have sailed on.

7 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

When I was in college, I did not drink.  (A Methodist affiliated university with a student code that included being expelled for "conduct unbecoming" helped to keep me "on the wagon" when I was in college.  At home, my parents did allow me to drink, if I wanted to.  CC/7, rum based drinks:  those are what I recall for that time period.  It was not beer.  I didn't like its taste.  Some time in the early '70's, a nice restaurant that I patronized kept advertising Lowenbrau.  I decided to try it; Germans, I had learned, made good beer.  I was like "Mikey" in the old cereal commercial:  "Try it; you'll like it".  I did and I did.  That led to Heineken; I liked that, but had missed out on the 10 cents/glass on my first two Rotterdam V cruises.  Then, probably due to advertising, I tried Budweiser.  Good.  Michelob is even better, I "understand".  It was.  Became a regular A-B customer along with a CC/7 or a Daiquiri or a Bacardi Cocktail.  I was sufficiently pleased with the A-B brands that I invested in A-B stock and was well rewarded for doing so.  Eventually, I turned to preferring wine; rarely have a beer, less rarely a CC/7 now.  Bloody Marys, Pina Coladas and a Strawberry or Banana Daiquiri on a cruise, but I have come to have a distinct preference for New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs.  Villa Maria is my favorite.  (First tried that during one of three wine tasting tours I enjoyed in New Zealand.)  I also enjoy a couple of Australian Sauvignon Blancs that are more inexpensive than Villa Maria, so they have become my "everyday" wines.  Villa Maria is saved for when I want (feel like I need) a treat.  One's tastes evolve.

Your comment about tea being served in the Ritz Carlton does not "ring a bell" for me.  It must not have been something that I ever attended.  During that time of day, I probably would have been out on deck somewhere.  The Ritz Carlton surely would have been an elegant setting for tea.  Today, aboard Hotel Ship Rotterdam, the Ritz Carlton seems to be used for elegant type events as well:  special receptions/parties/weddings, etc.  

In UK we had much more reasonable drinking laws, as when out with parents for High Tea we could have a beer in a pub at 16, so by the time I went to sea I was comfortable with beer. I initially started out with beer & whisky, but on cruise ships migrated to Mai Tais, Pina Coladas, Daiquiris, etc.

Used to enjoy full bodied reds, but some meds make stopped that, so now stick to crafts beers - Stouts, Porters & IPA's.

SS France...

The wine list on the SS France was incredible.  Wine was the centerpiece of every French ship.  Even the complimentary table wine that was served at lunch and dinner was excellent.  I remember the onboard price of a bottle of excellent Champagne was $10.00 in 1973.  I thought that was a bargain even then.  

I remember a funny incident that occurred at lunch one day.  We had two carafes at the table...one red and one white.  The waiter asked me if I’d like Rose’.  I said “sure” fully expecting he would produce a secret bottle out of nowhere.  He filled my glass halfway with white wine and then added a touch of red.  All of us at the table had a good laugh.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The waiter asked me if I’d like Rose’.  I said “sure” fully expecting he would produce a secret bottle out of nowhere.  He filled my glass halfway with white wine and then added a touch of red.  All of us at the table had a good laugh.

As I just did!!!!🤣

On 11/9/2020 at 7:28 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

RK, you’ve come a long way since those Methodist school days!  I see you like the white wines. How about Champagne??  

Yes, John Wesley would not be pleased, I expect.  I was surprised--pleasantly--when I attended my first Class Reunion and alcohol was available.  (Limited brands, not surprisingly)  That has continued to the 21st Century.  

Champagne?  If you are buying, I'll drink it.  Otherwise, I prefer a Prosecco.  Villa Maria remains my favorite wine wine.  There is a "sparkling" version of the wine.  I have tried it on the recommendation of a Manager of my wine store.  It's OK.  Have not bought another bottle, however.  

42 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Yes, John Wesley would not be pleased, I expect.  I was surprised--pleasantly--when I attended my first Class Reunion and alcohol was available.  (Limited brands, not surprisingly)  That has continued to the 21st Century.  

Champagne?  If you are buying, I'll drink it.  Otherwise, I prefer a Prosecco.  Villa Maria remains my favorite wine wine.  There is a "sparkling" version of the wine.  I have tried it on the recommendation of a Manager of my wine store.  It's OK.  Have not bought another bottle, however.  

Moët et Chandon White Star, Brut Imperial, Rose Imperial and Dom Perignon...superb!!

• Like 1

Couple of different wine/champagne stories.

On SS Oriana, we could purchase bottles of Moet for UKP 2.00. Can't remember the price for Dom, but possibly double the Moet.

Both of the original Princess ships - Island & Pacific, had wine tanks for the bulk crew wine. 

18 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Moët et Chandon White Star, Brut Imperial, Rose Imperial and Dom Perignon...superb!!

I will keep those in mind for this New Year's Eve.  It's going to be the first in some time when I will be celebrating in my living room, watching the "ball drop in Times Square" and not either on a ship or with my late friend who lived in Fort Pierce.  

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

On SS Oriana, we could purchase bottles of Moet for UKP 2.00. Can't remember the price for Dom, but possibly double the Moet.

Both of the original Princess ships - Island & Pacific, had wine tanks for the bulk crew wine. 

I wonder what that would have translated to in Dollars back then??

57 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I will keep those in mind for this New Year's Eve.  It's going to be the first in some time when I will be celebrating in my living room, watching the "ball drop in Times Square" and not either on a ship or with my late friend who lived in Fort Pierce.  

Stay home and relax!  We gave up on New Years Eve many years ago.  We call it “Amateur Night”.  We were holiday hermits long before it became fashionable...and we do celebrate...just not in crowded places.  

To tell the truth RK...

I prefer the Moët Brut over the far more expensive Dom.  Even Mumm Cordon Rouge is a great wine.  Now we have the Domaine Chandon from California and Argentina...not bad at all.  There are many other brands that are wonderful...some show real value and others are more expensive.  Crystal, Krug, and the obsequious Veuve Clicot come to mind.  Now Prosecco can be very enjoyable especially when it is made into a French 75.  Our cruise on MSC Divina produced no less than 5 bottles in our cabin.  We literally were floating in bubbles.  I actually had to give away a bottle.  Of course we had friends in before dinner to finish the rest!  

• Like 1

Those ships were originally Sea Venture and Island Venture and they had Italian service onboard.  No wonder they had wine tanks.  BTW...they were superb ships when they first sailed...back in the early 70’s.  

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Was the wine any good?  A tank of Red?  A tank of White?  

Never tried it, as it wasn't served in the Officer's Mess or Wardroom. Probably wasn't that great. Memory is a bit hazy, but yes, it may have been red and white.

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Those ships were originally Sea Venture and Island Venture and they had Italian service onboard.  No wonder they had wine tanks.  BTW...they were superb ships when they first sailed...back in the early 70’s.  

Affirmative, when P&O purchased Princess we changed to British Officers, but the ratings remained, so we had all Italian crew in the Galley & MDR. For officer's stewards we had Mexicans, which was a big let down from the exceptional Goa stewards on the other ships.

31 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

I believe it would have been about US $ 4.00 back in 1978

My memory is fuzzy but I was in London in 1978 and I remember a super exchange rate.  ..around $2.00.  I just checked and sure enough.  The Pound was trading for $2.00 in November 1978.

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

My memory is fuzzy but I was in London in 1978 and I remember a super exchange rate.  ..around $2.00.  I just checked and sure enough.  The Pound was trading for $2.00 in November 1978.

In November 1978, I was only 75 miles away in Southampton Dry Dock, aboard the great liner SS Canberra.🙂

13 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

In November 1978, I was only 75 miles away in Southampton Dry Dock, aboard the great liner SS Canberra.🙂

The Canberra was a great ship.  I almost sailed on her.  One of my eternal regrets.  Did they serve a lot of curry onboard...with all the condiments?  One of the things I truly miss from the UK.  The Indian restaurants around here are uniformly bad.  I have better luck when I cook it myself.

3 hours ago, marco said:

And just an "FYI"...right now, the pound is $1.31 - US dollar and $1.72 Canadian dollar.  Interesting...but kind of digressing from "Cruising Memories", isn't it?

That’s OK Marco.  It means you are paying attention to this thread...LOL.

16 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

isn't it something like 1,5 for a pound right now? right when the UK left the EU zone its local currency has fallen down. It still remains strong and expensive but not as 10-15 years ago.. why is it so expensive anyway ??? 

5 hours ago, Roger88 said:

isn't it something like 1,5 for a pound right now? right when the UK left the EU zone its local currency has fallen down. It still remains strong and expensive but not as 10-15 years ago.. why is it so expensive anyway ??? 

Relativity...

The Pound back in the 70’s was under attack...North Sea oil was just starting to flow.  The Arabs had upped the oil prices in 1973.  You could trade $2.00 for one GBP...but you could dine in great restaurant in London for $30-$40 per couple!  Pint beers were 50P and you could stay in a decent hotel for 25 Pounds per night...breakfast included!  I remember dining at a cute Indian restaurant in Russel Sq. for 10 Pounds for 2...a feast with beers included!  The GBP is now worth $1.31 but look at the price of a pint in the pub or the price of a meal in your average restaurant...yikes!  The GBP is higher now in $$ than it was before Brexit...about $1.21 then.  In reality the GBP is worth around $1.00 when you compare goods and services in both GB and US.  The extra .31 Cents is the benefit of tourism...like an entry fee to GB.  

8 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The Canberra was a great ship.  I almost sailed on her.  One of my eternal regrets.  Did they serve a lot of curry onboard...with all the condiments?  One of the things I truly miss from the UK.  The Indian restaurants around here are uniformly bad.  I have better luck when I cook it myself.

Affirmative, we normally had at least 3 curries on the menu each day for lunch, with multiple chutneys and condiments. The crew galley also had a 24/7 chow pot.

On Sun Princess (Spirit of London) the Indian crew had curried chicken every Sunday. At the end of the 4-8 (20:00) shift, my QM would run down to the crew galley and pick up my dinner, leaving it in my cabin - chicken curry, tandoori leg/thigh and Nan. Brilliant.They also had a 24/7 chow pot in the crew galley.

With out a doubt, the best ship for curry was the SS Uganda.

Only worked a couple of cargo ships, but they often had special dinners - curries, Chinese, deck BBQ, etc.

Affirmative, we normally had at least 3 curries on the menu each day for lunch, with multiple chutneys and condiments. The crew galley also had a 24/7 chow pot.

On Sun Princess (Spirit of London) the Indian crew had curried chicken every Sunday. At the end of the 4-8 (20:00) shift, my QM would run down to the crew galley and pick up my dinner, leaving it in my cabin - chicken curry, tandoori leg/thigh and Nan. Brilliant.They also had a 24/7 chow pot in the crew galley.

With out a doubt, the best ship for curry was the SS Uganda.

Only worked a couple of cargo ships, but they often had special dinners - curries, Chinese, deck BBQ, etc.

Oh Heidi, I’m jealous.  It is so hard to get good Indian food around here...Boston.  DW and I grew up on curry when we discovered it in London.  The food they serve here is mediocre at best.  I think that there are engineers and computer geeks who drop out and become restauranteurs.  I have to make my own and I can tell you that I really do some nice dishes and I can make some killer chutneys...but we miss all those great Indian restaurants in the UK

Funny story,

We were on Liberty Of The Seas and every day they would have a nice curry on the buffet. The problem was that there were never any condiments!  I happened to run into the head chef of the entire ship.  I read him the riot act...I even offered to show them how to make chutney...LOL.  They never did put out the condiments...so sad...sighhhhh.

• Like 1