Great Cruising Memories

19 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Was your dining experience in the Tables of the World Restaurant?  

YES it was!  Thank Heaven we were with two other couples who were friends.  We ended up drinking more than eating...LOL.  The high point of the meal was dessert.  They couldn’t screw that up no matter how hard they tried...LOL.  I ended up talking to the Dining Room Manager and he lamented over the labor situation.  

The cruise wasn’t a total loss.  I ended up winning at the roulette table so we were drinking Champagne rather than white wine.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

6 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The cruise wasn’t a total loss.  I ended up winning at the roulette table so we were drinking Champagne rather than white wine.  

Good for you!  I play Bingo from time to time.  Once, I won $300.  I have played the 5 number lottery game on HAL until I realized that the odds of winning were worse than the 5 number game I was playing with the Ohio Lottery.  

5 hours ago, marco said:

We take a "Friends and Family Annual Winter Caribbean Cruise", and have for almost 40 years now,  and the "friends" are mostly folks we've met over the years on cruises, from all over the country and it's our "reunion".  Over the years we've all visited back

I have cruised with friends whom I met on previous cruises; some I knew they would be aboard; once with a couple whom I did not know would be aboard.  When we met on embarkation day en route to our staterooms, it was in an elevator aboard the Maasdam.  Our reaction to recognizing each other might have caused the other guests in the elevator to wonder if we were "nuts"!

I have considered a Family cruise in the past two years.  With family members in Alaska and Maryland which include young children, with parents whose employment does not allow vacation time "whenever", the challenge for organizing such a cruise is formidable.  I think a Disney cruise would be most suitable for the children while providing us adults a good cruise experience as well.  Certainly isn't going to happen soon; maybe 2021 or 2022.  

And now I have been reminded of other dining tables, including one on the beautiful Island Breeze.  When we arrived the first night, four people were already seated:  B and his Mumsie, and a couple who had apparently been enjoying the many drink options.  We listened to all of them with a bit of trepidation.  Then the last twosome arrived, a younger couple on their first cruise.

At the end of the dinner, the young ones whispered to us that they would probably ask for a different table.  DH urged them to stay; "It will be entertainment".  They stayed, we stayed, and we were all entertained with no regrets.

Which also leads me to another thought:  a job title that I never see much any more:  Social Hostess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

Which also leads me to another thought:  a job title that I never see much any more:  Social Hostess.

An extinct job title these days unless such a position still exists on the luxury and ultra-luxury ships.

There was a Social Hostess whom I met on PFEL's S. S. Monterey was the Social Hostess on Royal Viking Sky three years later.  Couldn't believe it when I recognized her.  What was even more impressive was that she somehow remembered me.  I wish I could remember her name.  She was a very pleasant lady.   

Talking about being entertained at the table.  One of the funniest Cruises...

We have had some really funny Cruises over the years.  A cruise is a celebration and there were many times that we celebrated to the hilt...with gales of laughter.  One of the funniest was a transatlantic on the SS France from Southampton to New York.  Our table was comprised of a single divorcée , a medical doctor who had been studying in England, two gay actors heading back to New York, a computer professor and DW and me.  This table was definitely diverse.  Things started off with a fairly formal atmosphere at our first meal.  The two actors hit it off with DW and me and I being the bon vivant invited them to join us for drinks after dinner.  Well...the younger member of the duo was a real cut-up really hilarious.   Now I can’t resist doing a bunch of jokes and adding to the mayhem. Needless to say things went rapidly down hill from there.  We partied into the night and met for lunch at our table the next day.  We started interplaying with the three others at our table.  The computer professor was a total nerd but we all tried to advise him on how he could best reach Chicago.  We explained to him that he might want to consult a map as Chicago was a lot farther than he was contemplating.  We finally got him to take the train.  In the meantime we got the good Doctor to sit next to the divorcée   She regaled us with stories of why she had lived in Britain for five years and decided to leave her husband there and sail back to America.  The doctor was intrigued and all four of us kept steering the conversation between she and the doctor.  In the meantime we were partying with the actors and the laughs kept coming.  By the time our third dinner rolled along the doctor and the divorcée  were an item!  We hit some rough seas the last two days and the professor dropped out.  By the last night out the doctor and his consort were missing at the table so it was just the four of us enjoying the food and the wine.  The younger of the two actors showed up in an antique captains coat with the gold buttons and braids...totally hilarious.  He declared our table “The Captain’s Table” and we all roared with laughter.  They wrote us a note several weeks later and thanked DW and me for a most uproarious time.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

A cruise is a celebration and there were many times that we celebrated to the hilt...with gales of laughter.  One of the funniest was a transatlantic on the SS France from Southampton to New York. 

Joie de vivre is what your DW and you were experiencing on a French Line vessel.  If I remember correctly, that was an advertising slogan that the French Line used in their literature.  

3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Joie de vivre is what your DW and you were experiencing on a French Line vessel.  If I remember correctly, that was an advertising slogan that the French Line used in their literature.  

They did use that.  They also maintained what they called “L’Atmosphere Transat”.  This was the magic atmosphere they strove for...and often achieved.  Their level of service and culinary excellence was only matched by their most extraordinary wine list from the greatest wine cellar on the Atlantic.  This exotic level of premium quality attracted some equally interesting artists and high profile personalities.  The passenger list was dotted with well known and in some cases famous personages...and in some cases outlandish.  I remember seeing a well known model coming down a staircase in a white mink jumpsuit!  Appearances like that were fairly common...onboard the SS France.  

On 10/30/2020 at 7:03 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Another memory...THE WORST CRUISE EVER.

This was a Transatlantic from Southampton to New York on QEII in 1978.  RK can attest that there were labor problems in that era.  We had the two worst waiters we ever had at any restaurant.  The first waiter wore much of what he was serving and his assistant didn’t seem to do much of anything.  Neither one was the brightest bulb on the string.  They couldn’t get orders right at our table for 6.  Every meal was a bigger letdown from the one before.  It got to the point where we would just order wine and hope for the best.  

Although Cunard was a separate company from P&O, in those days, we experienced the same issues. Starting in the late 1970's the UK merchant marine started a significant decline, then they started employing foreign nationals in place of the UK contract crew and pool crews.

Prior to being replaced, the crews received considerable notice - memory is hazy, but it was 6 - 12 months notice. During that period, the standards went into the tank. Passengers suffered, but in addition, we were subjected to the terrible meals and service for the entire 4 months we were onboard. Not a fun time, so I can relate to your experiences.

I was fortunate that I moved to the Princess ships where we had no British ratings, as they retained the existing Princess ratings.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Starting in the late 1970's the UK merchant marine started a significant decline, then they started employing foreign nationals in place of the UK contract crew and pool crews.

20 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

During that period, the standards went into the tank. Passengers suffered

As I have posted on CC before, I witnessed such a change on HAL.  I sailed the year before the transition between a Dutch/European crew started to an Indonesian crew.  (Don't think the Filipinos were involved at that time.)  On my next cruise, the transition had started.  Passenger service remained Dutch/European.  The HAL experience remained intact.  Below decks must have been where the transition was taking place.  Leaving a Caribbean port aboard Rotterdam V, a gathering of crew members took place on the open deck of the Bow in view of those of us on a platform accessible from the Upper Promenade Deck.  Angry, loud voices were heard from these men.  Looking up to the Bridge, Captain Lagaay was at a window witnessing the scene.  Very shortly, an Officer appeared and herded this group below decks.  

Edited by rkacruiser

Thanks for your observations Heidi.  Interestingly my conversation with the dining manager at the time centered around the problems he was having with the Brits who no longer wanted to do those jobs and work those hours.  I had sailed on the original Queen Elizabeth I in 1965 and the difference between that and the QE II in 1978 was like day and night.  My two previous crossings on QEII in 1975 were far better but still not even close to the Queen Elizabeth I in 1965.  We witnessed the demise of 150 years of British service at sea.  

Hi RK,

Yes...there was a transition period when HAL went with the Indonesian crew.  John Maxtone Graham detailed it in one of his books.  I think it was “Liners To The Sun”.

I remember he said some of the stewards and waiters tried to go barefoot without shoes. Eventually they became the best working crew you could ask for.  

• Like 1

On 11/2/2020 at 9:55 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

there was a transition period when HAL went with the Indonesian crew.

One of the changes that I have seen over the years is the transition to crew--at least in the "front of the house"--of many nationalities.  Eastern European, various nationalities of Asian (particularly Indian, Filipino, and Thai), and an increasing number of Caribbean countries whose citizens are being employed by cruise lines.  On my most recent cruises, I have noticed an increase in the number of Americans and Canadians on cruise staffs.  On my January cruise aboard MSC Meraviglia, the excellent and experienced Cruise Director told us at the CC M&G that MSC had specifically recruited him for the Winter cruise season.  

Adding such a mix of nationalities has been beneficial to my cruise experience.  I wonder what others think.  

• Like 1

We have met and befriended many different nationalities while onboard.  Polish, Greek, Pilipino, Indonesian, Spanish, Jamaican, Lebanese on and on.  So many faces and such great memories.  

I remember being on the Celebrity Horizon in 1998 and giving one of the Lounge attendants English lessons...she was Polish.  I remember being on Celebrity Century and having the cabin stewardess in tears.  She was having a bad day.  I sat her down and told her about some of my experiences working in some really rough kitchens when I was young.  I think finding out that we all have worked hard helped her get through her day.  I put in a good (written) word (and tip) for her to the head housekeeper.  There have been countless other stewards, bartenders and cooks who we have had wonderful 1 on 1 experiences and laughs with including 2 excellent butlers.  

• Like 2

I agree that meeting crew (and passengers) from other countries is one of the best parts of cruising.  We met a couple of chefs from Mauritius; then last week, unexpectedly, we watched a Hindi movie in which some Mauritians attended a culinary school (in Sweden!)  On our last cruise, we met crew from Turkey, South Africa, Italy, Brasil, India, Tunisia, and more.  I love that.

20 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

We have met and befriended many

There is only one Steward with whom I think he came to see me as a "friend".  My initial Cabin Steward on my 2008 world cruise who was on his second contract with HAL.  (His first contract was on the Prinsendam.)  

My impression of his service from Embarkation Day on was one of not being totally organized and efficient.  A Housekeeping Supervisor was frequently seen in my Dolphin Deck corridor when he was on duty.  Somehow, he and I developed a conversational relationship, enough so that he began to confide in me that he had family issues in Indonesia about which he was quite worried.  His wife was expecting a child; she was having medical problems because of her pregnancy.  He had applied for "leave" from his contract so that he could return home to help.  For some reason, HAL denied his request.  (I suspect his job performance may have been a reason.)  

A couple of days prior to our arrival in Singapore, he confided in me that he was going to "jump ship" so that he could return to his wife.  ("Please don't tell the 'white coats' was what I remember him saying.)  I tried to discourage him from such an action and told him that by doing so, there wouldn't be another cruise company that would ever employ him in the future.  He understood.  Yet, he did.  He got caught trying to disembark in Singapore with a suitcase (which raised suspicions from the ship's security).  He did not have his passport nor the other papers that he would have needed to get out of Singapore and to his Country.  Obviously, he was fired.  Due to his concern about his family, it's obvious that he was not thinking clearly.

I have thought about this young man since 2008 and only hope that his family and he are doing well.  

23 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

There is only one Steward with whom I think he came to see me as a "friend".  My initial Cabin Steward on my 2008 world cruise who was on his second contract with HAL.  (His first contract was on the Prinsendam.)  

My impression of his service from Embarkation Day on was one of not being totally organized and efficient.  A Housekeeping Supervisor was frequently seen in my Dolphin Deck corridor when he was on duty.  Somehow, he and I developed a conversational relationship, enough so that he began to confide in me that he had family issues in Indonesia about which he was quite worried.  His wife was expecting a child; she was having medical problems because of her pregnancy.  He had applied for "leave" from his contract so that he could return home to help.  For some reason, HAL denied his request.  (I suspect his job performance may have been a reason.)  

A couple of days prior to our arrival in Singapore, he confided in me that he was going to "jump ship" so that he could return to his wife.  ("Please don't tell the 'white coats' was what I remember him saying.)  I tried to discourage him from such an action and told him that by doing so, there wouldn't be another cruise company that would ever employ him in the future.  He understood.  Yet, he did.  He got caught trying to disembark in Singapore with a suitcase (which raised suspicions from the ship's security).  He did not have his passport nor the other papers that he would have needed to get out of Singapore and to his Country.  Obviously, he was fired.  Due to his concern about his family, it's obvious that he was not thinking clearly.

I have thought about this young man since 2008 and only hope that his family and he are doing well.  

That is a sad one RK.  Not all stories have happy endings.

More memories...

Since a great deal of time is spent at the various bars and watering holes onboard let’s take a trip down memory lane.  The old Queen Elizabeth had many wonderful little spots to imbibe.  A mixed drink went for 35 cents and a pint of draft beer was 10 cents.  The mixed drinks were small 2 oz. shots served with a small 6 oz. bottle of soda water, tonic water or ginger ale.  Not a bad deal for 35 cents!  I remember a small aft bar in Cabin Class that was like a secret hideaway.  Then there was the Tourist Class observation bar overlooking the bow of the ship.  This was a large room featuring live music and dancing every night.  When you ordered a drink it came on a silver tray and was then placed in front of you.  When you paid the steward you placed the money in the silver tray.  The change came back to you the same way.  This was service on a scale seldom seen today.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The old Queen Elizabeth had many wonderful little spots to imbibe.

Rotterdam V had a small bar located off the Ritz Carlton Lounge called the Tropic Bar.  Never patronized it during my cruises aboard the Rotterdam.  My "watering hole" on that ship was the Ocean Bar or the Sky Lounge Bar (if I recall the name correctly) mid-ships, at its very top most passenger deck.  When I visited Hotel Rotterdam V, I was able to "visit" the Tropic Bar and then wondered:  how did you miss this venue?  Being "tucked away" in its location as it was, that has to be my only excuse.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Rotterdam V had a small bar located off the Ritz Carlton Lounge called the Tropic Bar.  Never patronized it during my cruises aboard the Rotterdam.  My "watering hole" on that ship was the Ocean Bar or the Sky Lounge Bar (if I recall the name correctly) mid-ships, at its very top most passenger deck.  When I visited Hotel Rotterdam V, I was able to "visit" the Tropic Bar and then wondered:  how did you miss this venue?  Being "tucked away" in its location as it was, that has to be my only excuse.  

LOL...”The Bars We Missed”...LOL.  And then there are “The Bars I Can’t Remember”.  LOL!!  

• Like 1

Another good one was the Bremen 1971.  German draft beer for 25 Cents a liter served in a clay Stein.  Both the mixed drinks list and the wine list were very extensive.  Rhine wines and Rieslings were around $3.00.  Varietals you’d give your right arm to have today, at $30.00, and as always...superb service.  They made a Planters Punch which I remember was outstanding.  To this day I do not know what the fruit juice composition was in that drink but, at 75 Cents, was really good.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 1

SS Oriana - the preferred bar changed with time of day and activities. During the day, the Plough Tavern up by the top pool was our favourite watering hole. In the evening it was the Monkey Bar for a quiet drink in the early evening then the disco. When the Wardroom had activities/special evenings, we headed there. For drinks in pax bars we signed chits, which we received a 60% discount. In the Wardroom all drinks were pennies and a bottle was well under UKP 1.00

MV Island Princess - most of the time we used the Wardroom, which was located aft end of the officer's deck. We had a deck overlooking the aft deck. Great location and drinks were again pennies. After dinner we would stop by the Starlight Lounge for a brandy.

SS Uganda - most of the pax were schoolkids, so not a great selection of bars, as they only had about 300 adults. Remember the old 1st class bar/lounge with overstuffed leather furniture and rich wood panelling. Officer's wardroom frequently used during the day, then out on decks at night.

SS Canberra - enjoyed the Meridian Bar & Crows Nest, which were both Fwd, but separated by 3 decks. They were connected by a stunning circular marble staircase. The other interesting bar was the Cricketer's Tavern.

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Now I wish I had been a drinker in the earlier years of my cruising!

We did love the Ritz Carlton, though, for dancing to a live orchestra, and for afternoon tea.

When I was in college, I did not drink.  (A Methodist affiliated university with a student code that included being expelled for "conduct unbecoming" helped to keep me "on the wagon" when I was in college.  At home, my parents did allow me to drink, if I wanted to.  CC/7, rum based drinks:  those are what I recall for that time period.  It was not beer.  I didn't like its taste.  Some time in the early '70's, a nice restaurant that I patronized kept advertising Lowenbrau.  I decided to try it; Germans, I had learned, made good beer.  I was like "Mikey" in the old cereal commercial:  "Try it; you'll like it".  I did and I did.  That led to Heineken; I liked that, but had missed out on the 10 cents/glass on my first two Rotterdam V cruises.  Then, probably due to advertising, I tried Budweiser.  Good.  Michelob is even better, I "understand".  It was.  Became a regular A-B customer along with a CC/7 or a Daiquiri or a Bacardi Cocktail.  I was sufficiently pleased with the A-B brands that I invested in A-B stock and was well rewarded for doing so.  Eventually, I turned to preferring wine; rarely have a beer, less rarely a CC/7 now.  Bloody Marys, Pina Coladas and a Strawberry or Banana Daiquiri on a cruise, but I have come to have a distinct preference for New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs.  Villa Maria is my favorite.  (First tried that during one of three wine tasting tours I enjoyed in New Zealand.)  I also enjoy a couple of Australian Sauvignon Blancs that are more inexpensive than Villa Maria, so they have become my "everyday" wines.  Villa Maria is saved for when I want (feel like I need) a treat.  One's tastes evolve.

Your comment about tea being served in the Ritz Carlton does not "ring a bell" for me.  It must not have been something that I ever attended.  During that time of day, I probably would have been out on deck somewhere.  The Ritz Carlton surely would have been an elegant setting for tea.  Today, aboard Hotel Ship Rotterdam, the Ritz Carlton seems to be used for elegant type events as well:  special receptions/parties/weddings, etc.  

• Like 1

WOW...I think I struck a nerve...LOL.  Shipgeeks, the Ritz Carlton onboard the Rotterdam was the place to see and be seen.  As I recall there was a balcony with a sweeping staircase that led down to the main ballroom.  The staircase walls were decorated with beautiful figures in jungle colors.  A truly elegant setting for afternoon tea.  

Heidi, a few of the perks of being an officer onboard...cheap booze, good food and lots of dancing partners.  

RK, you’ve come a long way since those Methodist school days!  I see you like the white wines. How about Champagne??  

We will continue this “spiritual tour”...on to the SS France...the greatest wine cellar on the Atlantic.  

• Like 1