Great Cruising Memories

Absolutely!  The entire evening was so festive.  Tuxedos and gowns all evening, in all venues, whether out on Promenade Deck, dancing, midnight buffet, theater.  I can even remember playing shuffleboard in formal wear at least once.

DH is on his third (or fourth?) tuxedo since 1991.  He figures each one has been worn at least thirty times.

Hmm, I wonder if I should count how many gowns and dresses I've worn in that time.....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

FORMAL NIGHTS ON THE CLASSIC LINERS.

Does anyone remember what it was like on a classic liner on formal nights?  When the gentlemen wore tuxedos and the ladies wore gowns?  How the MDR put on an extra effort and the entertainment was special on those nights?  

Remember my sailing days on a "classic liner" began in 1970 aboard Rotterdam V.  No experience with "those days" on the Queens, Ile de France, Rex, etc.  

Even during the '70's and into the '80's formal wear on formal nights were mostly the "norm".  There were some guests that were not so attired, but, it didn't seem to make any difference to anyone.  Surely, not to me.  I didn't own any formal wear until 1980 and that was because I had booked two cruises on Royal Viking Sky and I expected that it would be more dressy, which it was.    

I cannot recall at that time that I noticed any more extraordinary effort on the part of the MDR staff/galley to make such evenings "more special".  (My memory may be faulty, you understand.)  The same with the evenings entertainment.  MDR dinners--formal or not--and the evening's entertainment were usually at a high level.  (In my opinion.)  

Dressing for the evening is still something that I enjoy doing (once I get that darn bow tie fastened).  No longer wear a vest or cummerbund; vests make me too warm; the cummerbund feels too restricting.  (And, they become an issue if one needs to visit the loo during the evening.)  

Only once have I ever felt slightly "uncomfortable" being formally dressed.  During a Star Princess Caribbean cruise, I was wearing my tux and seated in the Theater awaiting the start of the show.  A gentleman and lady entered my row and took two empty seats next to me.  They were dressed in T-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops.  It was a formal night.  (I guess I ought to be glad that the T-shirt was not one of those fake "tuxedo" type T-shirts.)  Others around me were dressed nicely; tuxes were not many and formal gowns were not to be seen.  

In recent years, at least on Princess and HAL, there is a special effort for those special evenings in the MDR.  Chairs covered in white cloth; special menus; special decorations on the tables and in the dining room itself, maybe an attractive special buffet set-up as one enters the dining room.  I have celebrated Easter, Christmas, and New Year's on cruises.  Each time, I thought it was done well.  I specifically remember my Easter cruise on the original Royal Princess.  There was a chocolate and confectionery display set-up in the Foyer where we entered the dining room.  It was beautiful and the aroma.......!  

As for attire in recent years, formal wear can still be seen, but one is clearly in the very small minority.  (Recently, dinner jackets seem to be making a comeback as compared to gentlemen wearing tuxes.)  Formal gowns for the young ladies:  rarely, if ever. 

When I sailed on MSC Meraviglia in Yacht Club during January, I was mildly surprised that more were not wearing formal wear on a formal evening.  All were very nicely attired.  I was not alone wearing my tux on the first evening.  For the second evening, I chose my Navy blazer and nice gray slacks with a white shirt and tie.  Why?  I didn't want to fiddle with the darn bow tie!

On 9/18/2020 at 3:48 PM, rkacruiser said:

I am not a smoker, but have had many friends who were:  cigarettes, pipes, and cigars.  I don't object to the aroma of pipe tobacco or of cigars.  The aroma of some smelled good.  

I assume you enjoyed the Cubans that you bought in Jamaica before you disembarked.  😉

Speaking of smoking I remember cruise directors in the 80’s suggesting you smoke or flush anything you have before going thru customs and disembarked . 

On 9/22/2020 at 6:51 AM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

FORMAL NIGHTS ON THE CLASSIC LINERS.

Does anyone remember what it was like on a classic liner on formal nights?  When the gentlemen wore tuxedos and the ladies wore gowns?  How the MDR put on an extra effort and the entertainment was special on those nights?  

In Tourist Class or Cabin Class on a classic liner?  I doubt very many of the passengers owned a tuxedo.

21 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I imagine doing it for oneself can be quite challenging!

My bow ties are the type where they wrap around the neck and one has to get the hook into the eyelet on the other end of the strap.  I find that quite challenging most of the time.  Last Fall, I tried to find the old fashioned clip on the collar type of bow ties.  Simply not available--at least in the department stores and formal wear stores that I visited.  

I can't imagine me trying to actually tie a bow tie! 

7 hours ago, snaebyllej said:

In Tourist Class or Cabin Class on a classic liner?  I doubt very many of the passengers owned a tuxedo.

Interestingly the only formal dress requirement was in First Class.  Transatlantic crossings required formal dress every evening other than the first night and the last night.  Long Cruises were different with 3 or 4 formal nights on 14 night cruises.  

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

My bow ties are the type where they wrap around the neck and one has to get the hook into the eyelet on the other end of the strap.  I find that quite challenging most of the time.  Last Fall, I tried to find the old fashioned clip on the collar type of bow ties.  Simply not available--at least in the department stores and formal wear stores that I visited.  

I can't imagine me trying to actually tie a bow tie! 

I always use the pre-tied bow tie with the collar strap.  I miss those big bow ties from the 70’s.  The ones they have today are too small.  I always have my DW hook the strap on the tie.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, George C said:

Speaking of smoking I remember cruise directors in the 80’s suggesting you smoke or flush anything you have before going thru customs and disembarked . 

Hi George,

I can remember in the 70’s when you could see people rolling in the lounge late at night and then going on deck for a smoke.  The smoking was pretty much out in the open.  All this happened before the islands realized they could make big money by making a few people to cough up fines.  

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 5:09 PM, shipgeeks said:

Absolutely!  The entire evening was so festive.  Tuxedos and gowns all evening, in all venues, whether out on Promenade Deck, dancing, midnight buffet, theater.  I can even remember playing shuffleboard in formal wear at least once.

DH is on his third (or fourth?) tuxedo since 1991.  He figures each one has been worn at least thirty times.

Hmm, I wonder if I should count how many gowns and dresses I've worn in that time.....

Onboard the German Bremen in 1971 we had the tables in the MDR decked out in special linens with special floral center pieces.  On each table there was a complimentary bottle of German Henkel sparkling wine (like Champagne) and very good I might add.  The menu was special with things like prime filet mignon with old port sauce and white asparagus, etc.  

Onboard Leonardo DaVinci we would have a special banquet menu with Roman delicacies  and things like Lobster in Belle Vu and Pheasant Souvaroff, etc.  There was always a Roman iced granite’ served between courses...to soothe the palette.  They always had a special gala Italian rum soaked cake for dessert that would make you tipsy followed by fantastic miniature Italian pastry and Italian coffee. 

On Regent Sea we had real bone-in prime rib (incredible...probably the best I ever had) and Mollasol caviar on ice throne, etc.  With a Gala Buffet at Midnight that was over the top including a whole roasted, 5 foot long, adult pig!  

On Amerikanis we would have Greek specialties and a huge menu with more than 100 items.  There were assorted Hors D’Oeuvres, soups, a fish course, three types of pasta, 4 or 5 main courses with various potatoes and vegetables served table side from big silver platters.   The menus had numbers for each dish...so the waiters could communicate with the chefs.  There was special entertainment after dinner with an “adult” floor show.  Then there was Greek dancing in the evening with Champagne prizes and a host named Taki who would lead the line around the ship with the musicians following.  

The NCL Norway had a Gala Night that included a toast of Acquavit, led by the Captain, served to the entire dining room in a glass reindeer horn.  The Gala Dinner was interrupted by dancing and singing waiters waving towels to the strains of Hot, Hot, Hot!!  

These are just some of the memories from formal nights onboard a few of the classic liners.

• Like 1

When we sailed to Italy on the Italian Line, we always went Cabin Class.  My mother thought 1st was a little to stuffy and tourist a bit to austere (the cabins, anyway).  Men mostly in suits, but a few tuxedos and lot of women in gowns or very dressy cocktail length dresses. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, marco said:

When we sailed to Italy on the Italian Line, we always went Cabin Class.  My mother thought 1st was a little to stuffy and tourist a bit to austere (the cabins, anyway).  Men mostly in suits, but a few tuxedos and lot of women in gowns or very dressy cocktail length dresses. 

Those were the days Marco...dressing for dinner.  I can imagine that Cabin Class on The Italian Line was a very relaxing way to cross.  I always thought that the Cabin Class dining rooms on Michelangelo and Raffaello were better looking and more comfortable than the First Class.  Your mother was right!     

20 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I always use the pre-tied bow tie with the collar strap.  I miss those big bow ties from the 70’s.  The ones they have today are too small.  I always have my DW hook the strap on the tie.  

My first formal bow tie was of that large type.  Looking at the pictures from yesteryear, it looks ridiculous.  (I was wearing it with a ruffled front formal shirt as well with wide lapels with black piping along the lapels light blue dinner jacket.  The shirt looks ridiculous, but I still like the dinner jacket.) 

Agree that the bow ties today are too small with the hooks and eyelets too small.  There was one evening when I tried and tried and tried, etc.  I could not get that d%^m hook into the eyelet.  I almost went searching for my Cabin Steward to ask him for help.  Just before total and complete frustration set in, I got it to work!  That is a tie that remains my least worn tie since.   

19 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi RK,

How can you go wrong with a blue blazer and light slacks?  I always found the best look was having my custom gold anchor buttons sewn on to add to that classic fashion.  

Blue Blazer with gray slacks:  it's a classic appearance.  And, it's sometimes more comfortable than dealing with formal wear.  On one longish cruise, I packed blazer/slacks, the tux, and a dark blue suit.  Only wore the blue suit once during the cruise.  It's never gone to sea since.  

9 hours ago, marco said:

We went Tourist Class on the Raffaello, and I'll never forget the Italian guy who thought that a tank top style undershirt was appropriate attire for the dining room.

Relative to the above, much more so on the eastbound crossing.

I'll look and see what I have.  i have several bins of memorabilia up in the attic.  I also have (somewhere) an 8mm movie of my grandparents on their sailing on the Andrea Doria in 1954 or '56.  If it's from '56, it's the last eastbound sailing. It's not dated.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, marco said:

I'll look and see what I have.  i have several bins of memorabilia up in the attic.  I also have (somewhere) an 8mm movie of my grandparents on their sailing on the Andrea Doria in 1954 or '56.  If it's from '56, it's the last eastbound sailing. It's not dated.

WOW...I know there are some collectors who would love to get a dvd of that home movie!

• Like 1