MSC Cruises buys 50% stake in Palumbo Malta Shipyard

Beardface

MSC Cruises buys 50% stake in Palumbo Malta Shipyard

They'll be using the Shipyard to service all ships in the MSC fleet (ferries, cruise ships, cargo ships, etc), but especially the new LNG powered ships currently under development.

It is worth noting that while this shipyard is going to service all MSC ships, the release specifically states that MSC Cruises made the purchase.

Just more proof that MSC is in a unique spot to capitalize on the current global situation to make a major move in the cruise industry because of their private status backed by the shipping industry while their competitors are leveraging every ounce of capital they have to remain afloat.

• Like 5

@Beardface I just read a similar article and thought the very same thing. MSC Is investing while other cruise lines are selling ships. This article implies they will also rent it to other cruise lines for additional revenue stream :https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23305-msc-cruises-to-operate-palumbo-malta-shipyard-in-new-joint-venture.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

This article implies they will also rent it to other cruise lines for additional revenue stream

MSC is doing what Carnival Corporation did several years ago when they invested money into the drydock facilities at Freeport.  CCL corporate ships could be serviced, but ships of other companies helped to contribute to the corporate bottom line.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BoundForSea said:

I can’t wait until they buy NCL in 6 mos for pennies on the dollar! 

I said that in March and my post went poof.  The future NCL ships are copies of the MSC too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

I said that in March and my post went poof.  The future NCL ships are copies of the MSC too.

I've been saying the same for a while as well.  Just rebrand Project Leonardo as Seaside II and convert The Haven to the Yacht Club and pricing everything at MSC levels while allowing the NCL ships to keep an American based experience and I think it could be a huge win for everyone.

• Like 2

The theory of MSC absorbing NCL is very interesting indeed!  Haven to YC would be an easy fit. I read somewhere that EPIC was supposed to be a MSC ship (or something like that) from the beginning. My memory isn't clear and that was a long time ago. Maybe someone else knows. The new NCL ships are similar to MSC in space ratios so it follows that business model too.

My speculative theory is that RCL is going to aquire NCL. RCL already has additional cruise lines under their umbrella. They just acquired all of Silverseas, so like MSC, RCL is spending money.  It's pretty clear to me that NCL is in the gravest danger of collapse with a prolonged closure as they got caught with their pants down in the debt department.  RCL and NCL are already teaming up with to create a 'return to cruise' safety plan (without CCL). This article was interesting: https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/royal-caribbean-group-brand-update-modernize

Time will tell of course, but either scenario is certainly possible IMO.  

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The theory of MSC absorbing NCL is very interesting indeed!  Haven to YC would be an easy fit

What little I know about NCL, I think your thinking about converting Haven to YC makes sense and would be easy to do.  

6 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I read somewhere that EPIC was supposed to be a MSC ship (or something like that) from the beginning. My memory isn't clear and that was a long time ago. Maybe someone else knows. 

My memory may be is as hazy as yours about NCL Epic, but I recall that she was to be the first of a new Class of ships for NCL.  Staterooms with unique interior design features were touted at the time, I recall.  Problems with construction began, major cost overruns, and a delayed entry into service are things that I recall reading.  NCL Epic became a "one off" as NCL abandoned the idea of any other ships of the class.  So, she really became an expensive ship for NCL to build!

Personally, I think Epic is one ugly ship!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Personally, I think Epic is one ugly ship!

She is ugly! And the rooms are terrible with the curved design and part of the bathroom in the cabin. HOWEVER; the epic has the absolute best thermal spa I have ever been to (and I visit nearly every cruise). Spice h20 adults only was a great space, and they have Vibe too. However; the epic is missing the waterfront boardwalk with the outdoor dining and clubs, and to me, that is what makes NCL away class fabulous. 

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Spice h20 adults only was a great space, and they have Vibe too.

Epic doesn't have VIBE. It has POSH. One difference is that Vibe has to be purchased by all who want access (limited number) including Haven guests. All Haven adults have access to Posh (only on Epic) with a very limited number of non-Haven guests able to purchase access.

I'd be fine if MSC bought NCLH (NCL, Oceania, Regent Seven Seas) but that would be a huge purchase especially since MSC has already committed to building so many new ships.

• Like 1

Yes, of course, it was POSH on Epic. I wasn't in Haven and I did purchase a 7 day pass for $49 which gave me access to the exterior Haven area including their bar and lunch service. It was a GREAT deal. Apparently Posh passes have risen in price since I sailed.

I'm not aware of any differences between Posh and Vibe as I thought it was just a name change, but its great to learn something new everyday :). 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

2 hours ago, mafig said:

I haven't been on Epic, but I know that on the NCL board the Epic Haven is considered one of the nicest, if not THE nicest.!

It pretty much is. Also, Epic Haven has actual bathrooms with actual doors (unlike the weird setup found throughout the rest of the ship).

The 3 newest NCL ships have 2 forward-facing Observation Lounges (one for all and one for Haven) so some people prefer those Havens over Epic's Haven.

For ugliest cruise ship at sea, there is no debate....Epic wins everytime.

5 hours ago, sidari said:

Run close now with the steam Irons Scarlet Lady and MSC World Class!

I much prefer an iron to Epic's ugly front, rear, and insides.

I remember someone once described the Oasis Class as a Clorox bleach bottle turned sideways...😁

I was watching a documentary on ship building and the design of the front is really a case of form follows function. A more fuel efficient design saves hundreds of thousands of dollars in fuel costs.

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

ncl_Epic_Public_Posh_MW_0.jpg

POSH Beach Club.

Adult only, included for Haven guests, limited passes for non-Haven guests.

Thanks for the 2020 definition of POSH.  At least, as it applied to NCL's Haven.

I appreciate seeing this enclave.  Not much interested with the lack of sheltered deck area from the Sun.  MSC Meraviglia's YC pool deck area had some shelters.  The Pool Attendant, as weather conditions allowed, erected some small tents that were most appreciated, particularly if one was having breakfast or lunch.