The Reality

babs135

1 hour ago, Markanddonna said:

I like Chinese people, but most who travel don't socialize because they are usually with their own groups.

Some don't speak English also. And those who do generally respond well when I reach out to them. But we lived in SF for many years so our perspective may be different.

On 8/2/2020 at 8:13 PM, babs135 said:

Are we all simply chasing rainbows?

I have said it from the beginning, if you can get a refund I recommend taking it🙄. A lot of people really thought this was going to be a couple of months and then it would be over but even the most optimistic are coming round to the realisation that this is a long term issue. I am still holding hope that I can do some of my original planned 2021 travels but I am preparing for the worst. The one thing I will not do probably for the next two years is sink my money into anything that needs prepaying far in advanced. I know travellers argue you already allocated those funds for travel so what is the risk but I'm not particularly fond of paying for nothing. No matter the discount if there is only a small chance of something eventuating I would rather redirect my funds to something I have a greater guarantee of receiving. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

The one thing I will not do probably for the next two years is sink my money into anything that needs prepaying far in advanced.

Our booked Galapagos cruise for next fall would give us a 10% discount if we paid in full this month. No effing way. I'm not stupid.

9 hours ago, clo said:

Our booked Galapagos cruise for next fall would give us a 10% discount if we paid in full this month. No effing way. I'm not stupid.

We saw an enticing TP from Australia in 2012 but the lower price required a $900 nonrefundable deposit. Too many variables in the next two years. Most of us don't want to be guinea pigs, especially on a cruise ship in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

We saw an enticing TP from Australia in 2012 but the lower price required a $900 nonrefundable deposit. Too many variables in the next two years. Most of us don't want to be guinea pigs, especially on a cruise ship in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Non-refundable deposit is the reality for most people outside the US. We have paid around $1000 in deposit for our cruise next summer and that is non refundable if we choose not to cruise.

Regarding that "big hole in the ground" in the American SW: I have never been in a more peaceful spot then sitting near the rim just about 1/3 of a mile along the trail from the Village (away from the crowd). Hawks, eagles, condors soaring on updrafts, fantastic breeze, fascinating viewing the vast expanse, and even hearing faint voices 3/4 of a mile below... I was able to get out there on 2 of my 5 trips (the other trips did not include trail time--family Type A vacations, a la Chevy Chase).

I always encourage anyone to go there if they get the chance. I will return, and then I want to explore more of the West with so many additional wonders.

Edited by mayleeman

The reality is hitting home when we have not really taken a good vacation since last year and know we won't until next year. I know it is a little petty to want to vacation while people are struggling out of work, having to go to food pantries never thinking they would. I understand. I went through it last year. It ruined any chance for Summer vacation last year. Long weekend trips don't really do it for us because there is really no where to go. If we go somewhere, we are stuck like we are at home. No reason to pay for that. 

We know our Nov cruise is done. Just have to wait for RCL to announce it. We will rebook for the end of March, but I think that is in jeopardy as well. We have a July cruise planned which may change who we book with in March. This way if March is canceled, we can roll those FCCs to the July cruise or stick with RCL and take 2 if we can next Summer.

On 8/3/2020 at 9:50 PM, ilikeanswers said:

. I know travellers argue you already allocated those funds for travel so what is the risk but I'm not particularly fond of paying for nothing. No matter the discount if there is only a small chance of something eventuating I would rather redirect my funds to something I have a greater guarantee of receiving. 

It is one thing to have “... already allocated those funds for travel...” and have them sitting in a savings account vs. entrusting them to a cruise line which may or may not file for bankruptcy, leaving you close to the bottom of a long line of unsecured creditors.

And, while a 125% future credit might sound better than just a 100% refund, are you sure the CHANCE of that 25% premium saving you money on a questionable future cruise is worth the risk of losing a much larger percentage of your cash deposit?