hotels San Diego

Michelle c

On 1/24/2021 at 12:02 AM, Sue from Canada said:

How far is the drug store?  CVS or Walgreens?  Does the hotel transfer your luggage to the ship?

It depends on what you want/need. The Rite Aid is less than half a mile from the Marriott/Intercontinental complex. There is a convenience market in the base of the Intercontinental, Harbor Market.

• 1 month later...

We got a good price at the Wyndham (clean and comfortable) - which had very good shuttle service to/from airport and cruise terminal - just a short, easy walk to cruise terminal if you travel light.   A couple of blocks up Ash street (on corner) gets you to India Street, with lots of good restaurants. On way back after dinner we stopped at Rite Aid - good selection of reasonably priced wine.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2021 at 8:14 AM, lawnbowler48 said:

Does anyone have any comments on Best Western Plus Hacienda in Old Town as looking at booking for the end of December before our cruise.

The BWP Hacienda is a very nice place and Old Town can be a lot of fun.

5 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Other than Wyndham, are there any other hotels that shuttle from the airport and to the cruise port as well?

Not a chance I'd pick the Wyndham just because it has a shuttle from the airport. The three new hotels at the cruise terminal, Residence Inn Bayfront, SpringHill Suites Bayfront and InterContinental San Diego are so much nicer than the Wyndham it is worth the $10 Uber ride. It is less than 3 miles to the airport.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am looking for a decent hotel that is close to a bus stop.  My Dad is in a wheelchair and it takes a while for an accessible cab to get pick up at the airport.  The local bus 992 works very well when we fly in on the same day of the cruise.  Upcoming April 2022, we will be coming 2 days early to San Diego.  Hotel shuttle buses are not handicapped friendly.  Any suggestions?  

Grace

• 10 months later...
On 3/21/2021 at 12:22 AM, scottca075 said:

The BWP Hacienda is a very nice place and Old Town can be a lot of fun.

I dug this old thread up lol.  Any thoughts about the BWP on West Ash?

They are giving us a great rate and it's hard to not consider it.  They no longer do the cruise or airport shuttles. They have free wifi and breakfast.   It is close to Rite Aid and Little Italy so that's a plus. It seems like a long walk from BWP down to the Bayshore area. Cruise day we would uber for sure.

Also looking at Springhill Bayshore as it is near the Coronado ferry and the Midway which are the two things we want to do with our two days. They also offer free wifi and breakfast.   It is $300 more than BWP for the three nights we are there.  It is also not very close to get any cosmetics we need as we are flying in from Florida and not carrying all of that because we need to focus on packing clothes.   We will be cruising for 59 days ending up in Fort Lauderdale so wont be flying home.

I was reading some of your posts and thought you may have some insight comparing these two properties taking into account the other factors I listed.  I put in bold the biggest issue I have with each hotel. The good news is I have a reservation at both with some time to mull it over before I pick one and cancel the other,

Thank you

Edited by Nymich

The BWP Bayside Inn is great, but the SpringHill Suites Bayside is worth every penny of the $300 to be directly across the street from the Cruise Terminal. The Rite Aid is less than a half mile away on Ash St, so not far at all.

The BWP Bayside Inn is "371 feet" away from the Rite Aid according to Google Maps, which I found very weirdly precise and funny for some reason, and just a bit more than a half mile to the cruise port. To me that is pretty walkable to the bay side; maybe not on cruise day with 57 days worth of luggage, but certainly to go down to the USS Midway and Portside Pier.

Here is a Google Maps of the SpringHill Suites Bayside in relation to the cruise terminal. You can see it is directly across the street and an otherwise lovely location too.

https://goo.gl/maps/5bR4uEyVmUypwtyy6

You can also walk to Santa Fe Depot for the SD Trolley and take the trolley to the Gaslamp, to the baseball stadium, to Old Town and even La Jolla now.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, scottca075 said:

The BWP Bayside Inn is great, but the SpringHill Suites Bayside is worth every penny of the $300 to be directly across the street from the Cruise Terminal. The Rite Aid is less than a half mile away on Ash St, so not far at all.

The BWP Bayside Inn is "371 feet" away from the Rite Aid according to Google Maps, which I found very weirdly precise and funny for some reason, and just a bit more than a half mile to the cruise port. To me that is pretty walkable to the bay side; maybe not on cruise day with 57 days worth of luggage, but certainly to go down to the USS Midway and Portside Pier.

Here is a Google Maps of the SpringHill Suites Bayside in relation to the cruise terminal. You can see it is directly across the street and an otherwise lovely location too.

You can also walk to Santa Fe Depot for the SD Trolley and take the trolley to the Gaslamp, to the baseball stadium, to Old Town and even La Jolla now.

You gave me some great info to consider and I appreciate the map.  Still undecided but glad to hear the BWP is a good place.  Looks like I have 2 good choices.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 3:33 AM, scottca075 said:

The BWP Bayside Inn is great, but the SpringHill Suites Bayside is worth every penny of the $300 to be directly across the street from the Cruise Terminal. The Rite Aid is less than a half mile away on Ash St, so not far at all

Just stayed at the Springhill suites/Residence Inn last month.  Nice hotel and rooms (the RI has a larger kitchen).  Great location, especially for cruisers.  One bad note - the free breakfast has really gone downhill since our stay two years prior.  No airport shuttle either.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Just stayed at the Springhill suites/Residence Inn last month.  Nice hotel and rooms (the RI has a larger kitchen).  Great location, especially for cruisers.  One bad note - the free breakfast has really gone downhill since our stay two years prior.  No airport shuttle either.

Dave,

Assuming the Best Western Plus is acceptable would you pay the 3 bills more to be at the Springhill?  Thanks

Edited by Nymich

In response  to post #41.  The only hotels that provide a parking pkg with the hotels are Wyndham Bayside and Holiday Inn Express Old Town.  They are both pretty pricey.

For parking someone recommended Aladdin.  The price was $17.00 a day and they have a shuttle to the pier.

In researching I found something called BRIC parking garage that is suppose to be under the new Springhill Suites and Residence Inn across from the Cruise Terminal.   When I tried to test a reservation, BRIC was not one of the cruise parking places that came up.

It seems most hotels have discontinued their snooze and cruise pkgs.  The few that have remained are pretty pricey.

Edited by liketraveling

7 minutes ago, Nymich said:

Dave,

Assuming the Best Western Plus is acceptable would you pay the 3 bills more to be at the Springhill?  Thanks

I am not Dave.  But I choose to stay at the Springhill Suites due to my fathers balancing issues.  He goes like gang busters on his rollator walker.  The only reason I choose Springhill Suites is because it is easier for my dad to walk across the street.  I would stay at Best Western Plus if they still had the cruise shuttle.

We got a good deal on the cruise.  Using miles for flights so splurging on the hotel. My dad said he did not want to upset an Uber or cab driver for going a few blocks.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Nymich said:

Dave,

Probably not.  I might look at nearby Hampton Inn though - about 2-3 blocks away.

When we stayed there the rooms (both Springhill and Residence were about $225, worth that IMO.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Probably not.  I might look at nearby Hampton Inn though - about 2-3 blocks away.

When we stayed there the rooms (both Springhill and Residence were about $225, worth that IMO.

We are staying three nights and Springhill is $300 more total($100 per night) than Best Western Plus.

Which area worked out best pro's and cons with Hampton versus Springhill in your opinion?  Thanks

20 minutes ago, Nymich said:

We are staying three nights and Springhill is $300 more total($100 per night) than Best Western Plus.

Which area worked out best pro's and cons with Hampton versus Springhill in your opinion?  Thanks

Springhill area a bit better, but Hampton is closer to Little Italy and the Rite Aid drugstore.  One negative is the train that runs behind the hotel, so get a front facing room if possible.  Springhill is much nicer IMO and the easy access to the ship is great!

Hampton used to have an airport shuttle, but they may have halted that.

Edited by DaveOKC

42 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Springhill area a bit better, but Hampton is closer to Little Italy and the Rite Aid drugstore.  One negative is the train that runs behind the hotel, so get a front facing room if possible.  Springhill is much nicer IMO and the easy access to the ship is great!

Hampton used to have an airport shuttle, but they may have halted that.

The Springhill has the train factor?