‘Let’s rekindle the romance of school cruises‘ - sounds like a great idea

Harry Peterson

“Stephen Petty will never forget the school cruise he joined as boy - maybe, he says, now is the time to bring them back”

Sounds like a great idea - and just the boost the industry needs.

Anybody travel on SS Uganda at school?

https://www.tes.com/news/lets-rekindle-romance-school-cruises

38 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

“Stephen Petty will never forget the school cruise he joined as boy - maybe, he says, now is the time to bring them back”

Sounds like a great idea - and just the boost the industry needs.

Anybody travel on SS Uganda at school?

https://www.tes.com/news/lets-rekindle-romance-school-cruises

The opening lines of reminiscing about 16 year olds getting romantic sounds a bit Pervy.🤔

• Haha 1

Brings back memories.  My father worked in the travel industry and as I child I can remember him going on the Uganda, and he brought me back a sailors cap with Uganda printed on it.  Ahhh, memories that have not been accessed in over 40 years, the brain really is an amazing thing. 

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

Only to you, I think - he's simply recalling his youth and a voyage on Uganda.  Why would anyone regard that as 'pervy'?  

Elderly Gentlemen talking about 16 year olds snogging on the dance floor is perfectly healthy?.🤔

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Elderly Gentlemen talking about 16 year olds snogging on the dance floor is perfectly healthy?.🤔

You have a very strange mind.  He's talking about his own younger days on Uganda for goodness sake!  Isn't an author or a journalist allowed to do that in your world?

That's an awful lot of literature cut out.  Lawrence, Hardy, etc etc ad infinitum.

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

You have a very strange mind.  He's talking about his own younger days on Uganda for goodness sake!  Isn't an author or a journalist allowed to do that in your world?

That's an awful lot of literature cut out.  Lawrence, Hardy, etc etc ad infinitum.

You seem to be getting passionate about this subject so I will but out and leave you to your memories.

Unfortunately I went to a school where any form of school holiday was a pipe dream never mind a cruise and also parents that could just about put food on table week by week and not have annual holidays themselves or if lucky a week in a caravan at Rhyl.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I think you will find the fact checking shows he is a teacher.

7 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

From the story it says he was a boy as quoted below. 

I was a 16-year-old grammar school boy from a small village; nothing remotely like this had ever happened to me before

He is head of humanities at Lord William's school, Thame.

Edited by zap99
Punctuation

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

You said earlier you were butting out.  Exactly what IS your problem with this?

I’m genuinely puzzled - and I doubt I’m the only one.  

Maybe teachers reminiscing about teenage snogging is not what you want hear if your daughter is a pupil.!!🤫

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Maybe teachers reminiscing about teenage snogging is not what you want hear if your daughter is a pupil.!!🤫

That depends how uptight you are about reality, I suppose, and whether you feel that an article about cruise ships in the Times Educational Supplement is putting your daughter at any kind of risk.

• Like 1

Anyway, back to topic, and leaving aside the irrelevant and rather strange concerns of a couple of people worried that a writer in the TES should dare to mention that he kissed a girl when he was 16, this seems like a good way to get some of those cruise ships back into operation again if there aren't enough full fare paying passengers to fill them all.

These trips were extremely popular in the 1960s, very educational, but a great deal of fun for everyone.  Might be difficult now to fit it into tight school curricula, but quite a few pluses.

Never in a month of Sundays!

The problems teachers have organising a ‘normal’ trip (in a coach etc) are off-putting.  I can’t imagine all the protocols which might be required for taking groups of lusty teenagers out into the ocean!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1