As predicted, the gift card offer is back, but not as generous as the last one.

CineGraphic

I used the last one to pay the fare and some extras on our (cancelled yesterday) October 10 Japan cruise. I was surprised they did not limit the offer to a one time purchase. I just bought a $1000 digital gift card every 2 to 3 days and got the bonus $200 card each time. Easy way to save 20%. 10% is still worthwhile, but I am certainly glad I got in on the last one.

Now the FCC wait begins. 😐

5 minutes ago, KJ Knowles said:

Easy way to save 20%. 10% is still worthwhile,

10% isn't enough for me considering their cash-flow situation.

If they come up with another 20% offer in December, and things start to look like our sailing in late April is actually going to sail, then I'll buy.

I have a question about the bonus gift cards.  We took the offer used the bonus cards to get OBC now our cruise is canceled for Dec.  We only have until Dec 31, 2020 to use the gift cards. Does anyone know how that will be handled since we are not sailing? 

I purchased one $1,000 giftcard last time, and applied the bonus $200 towards our 2022 cruise.  I also paid April cruise off early, and applied $750 towards the same 2022 cruise.

All in all, I spent $3,925 to save $940, or 24%.  That's it for now, and I'll definitely pass on 10%.

1 hour ago, beef8066 said:

I have a question about the bonus gift cards.  We took the offer used the bonus cards to get OBC now our cruise is canceled for Dec.  We only have until Dec 31, 2020 to use the gift cards. Does anyone know how that will be handled since we are not sailing? 

This is exactly why I haven't purchased any gift cards since the pandemic started.  I am afraid of losing my money.  

I hope you are able to redeem these, beef8066!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beef8066 said:

I believe with the previous offer, the bonus digital gift card expire 12/31/2021 (at least mine does). Regardless, if your used them to purchase pre-cruise OBC and your cruise is now cancelled, I suspect you'll get a credit card or cash (check) refund.

• Like 1

Terms & Conditions:

August 12,2020

*Order $500 in Holland America Line Gift Cards in a single transaction and receive a $50 Promotional ("bonus") gift card. Order $1,000 in Holland America Line Gift Cards in a single transaction and receive a $100 Promotional ("bonus") gift card. There is no limit on the number of gift cards a guest can purchase. Qualifying purchases must be composed of gift cards that each meet the qualifying threshold of $500 or $1,000 US Dollars.

Example:
Single $1,000 gift card = qualifies for $100 bonus
Multiple $1,000 gift card = qualifies for $100 bonus for each gift card
Single gift card worth greater than $1,000 = does not qualify for a bonus
*same applies to the $500 threshold

Offer is applicable to orders placed from 8/12/2020 6:00AM PDT to 9/30/2020 11:59PM PDT, while supplies last. Holland America Line reserves the right to terminate this promotion at any time.

All gift card purchases, and bonus gift cards will be denominated in USD. The Promotional gift card will be delivered to the recipient as a digital gift card only. No promo code is needed, and Promotional gift card will be automatically applied to the qualifying transaction. Promotional gift card expires on 12/31/2021.

Gift cards may be used for purchases on board Holland America Line vessels or applied as payment to a Holland America Line cruise booking. This card may not be redeemed for cash, unless required by law. Purchases made on bonus gift cards are non-refundable after 12/31/2021. Bonus gift cards are non-transferrable after 12/31/2021. Holland America Line does not accept responsibility for cards lost, damaged or stolen, or any unauthorized use of cards. Unauthorized resale prohibited. Complete gift card terms and conditions are available at hollandamerica.com/giftcardterms. Acceptance and/or use of this card constitutes acceptance of these terms and conditions, which may change at any time.

I didn't buy the last time as I hadn't rebooked my cancelled cruise and wasn't sure I would.  I have now and it sails 1/9/21 (which it looks unlikely at this point).

If I buy a $500 card and receive a $50 card, I can apply them to my balance due.  Then, if/when the cruise is cancelled, wouldn't I get $550 (plus my deposit) either refunded or converted to FCC?

If the cruise isn't cancelled before final payment date, I need to pay off the balance anyway, so why not use the gift cards?  Am I missing something?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lido - Lanai said:

I believe with the previous offer, the bonus digital gift card expire 12/31/2021 (at least mine does). Regardless, if your used them to purchase pre-cruise OBC and your cruise is now cancelled, I suspect you'll get a credit card or cash (check) refund.

Mine does too. I wonder if originally it was a 2020 expiration date (one reason I didn't buy early)? I do know that when I finally pulled the trigger, I was assured it was a December 2021 expiration, which fits in better, since I believe it will be 2022 before I sail.

4 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

And as we found last time, the gift cards CAN’T be used to book a cruise except in the US. If you’re in Canada, Australia, the E.U., etc., they’re only good as on board credit. This makes the expiry date a bit more of an issue.

But can they not be used prior to sailing to pay for excursions, indulgences, etc?

19 hours ago, Dismomx5 said:

Mine does too. I wonder if originally it was a 2020 expiration date (one reason I didn't buy early)? I do know that when I finally pulled the trigger, I was assured it was a December 2021 expiration, which fits in better, since I believe it will be 2022 before I sail.

Promotional gift card expires on 12/31/2020. 

That's why I turned my promotional card into OBC for our April 2022 cruise, which is as far out as any sailings go at this point.  Surely we'll be sailing by then.  🤞

• Like 1

Am I right in what I posted in Post #12?  That if I buy a $500 card and then apply both cards ($550) to the balance on my cruise, if it's cancelled I either get $550 refunded or 125% of whatever I've paid at the time the cruise is cancelled.  I'm assuming the current & prospective cancellation options are still 100% refund or 125% FCC + OBC.  

I confess I'm a little lost, given that I've had so many cancellations and the different lines are handling them differently.

20 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

I'm assuming the current & prospective cancellation options are still 100% refund or 125% FCC + OBC.

The FCC terms & conditions on my most recent cancellation received on 8/11/2020 for a 11/2020 cruise:

As compensation for this change to your travel plans, we are offering you bonus Future Cruise Credits, which provide tremendous value for you to plan another trip of your choice.

You will receive double the amount deposited (up to the base cruise fare amount) as a Future Cruise Credit (FCC). The minimum bonus FCC amount is $100. For example, if you paid $200 per person, each person will receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to the amount paid plus a bonus FCC of $200. If you booked under one of our special low deposit deals and paid less than $100 per person, you will receive a Future Cruise Credit of the amount paid plus $100 per person bonus FCC. This credit will waive the required deposit on your next booking on a voyage up to 29 days in length.

The amount received by Holland America Line in excess of the amount used to calculate the Future Cruise Credit can be transferred to a new booking or will be refunded to the method of payment used for the original purchase. The Future Cruise Credits are valid for 12 months from the date of issue and may be used to book sailings departing through December 31, 2022.

I received an FCC for 200% of what I had paid to date (it wasn't paid in full, but close to it).

That's better than what I got last time.  I'm still mildly peeved that, as a solo, I only got 1/2 the OBC despite having paid for double occupancy.  Other lines (at least the ones I've looked at) aren't doing that.  The OBC is per cabin.

Oh well.  They can offer whatever they want.  If I don't like it, I can just get my money back and use it to book a different line.  But I want to sail HAL again.  I like the ships, the itineraries, the food, and the service.

• 1 month later...

We were able to make our final cruise payments with the gift cards.  However, when we attempted to use a gift card to prepay gratuities it was not permitted - these were the purchased gift cards, not the bonus ones.  We were told by an agent at HAL that we could add them to our account after we board and then it could be used for gratuities.