Some Getaway Questions

alwalaska

We've decided to move our Northern Europe/Baltic Sea cruise to 2022.  This change seems to mean Escape to Getaway.  Since I'm normally a small ship person, both Escape and Getaway are completely new to me.

For Getaway, since the Diner place is a paid place rather than the free 24 hour place on other ships I've been on, is there a free semi-quick breakfast option somewhere other than the main dining room and the buffet (if it survives this COVID mess)?

During the hours between meals at the buffet, what are your options for food on the Getaway?

Anything else different we should be thinking about as we are trying to decide on which of the "free" options we want to include with our new reservations?  Like, is the Cirque show worth the cost?  This is already a very expensive cruise and the excursions in Russia are also crazy expensive, plus air, etc. 

Thanks for any and all help!

29 minutes ago, alwalaska said:

We've decided to move our Northern Europe/Baltic Sea cruise to 2022.  This change seems to mean Escape to Getaway.  Since I'm normally a small ship person, both Escape and Getaway are completely new to me.

For Getaway, since the Diner place is a paid place rather than the free 24 hour place on other ships I've been on, is there a free semi-quick breakfast option somewhere other than the main dining room and the buffet (if it survives this COVID mess)?

During the hours between meals at the buffet, what are your options for food on the Getaway?

Anything else different we should be thinking about as we are trying to decide on which of the "free" options we want to include with our new reservations?  Like, is the Cirque show worth the cost?  This is already a very expensive cruise and the excursions in Russia are also crazy expensive, plus air, etc. 

Regarding the Cirque.  It’s going to be a set of very subjective responses.  I like those type of shows.  I’ve seen the one on the Epic and the Getaway (twice).  I look for different things to do each night on a cruise if I can, so I try to attend everything.  The acts are a variety of quirkier circus acts.  They do vary from time to time as performers with different skills come and go.  Expect Cirque du Soleile Style costumes and peripheral characters moving about.   Acts typically do juggling, knife throwing, contortion, acrobatics, balancing, etc.  The accompanying meal is adequate to OK, but nothing special.  Only you can place a value on it and decide if what they charge is worth it. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, alwalaska said:

Getaway has O'Sheehan's....

MI.Getaway.OSheehan900x409.jpg

Dine on Irish pub classics while sipping your favorite draft beer, all in a casual atmosphere open 24 hours a day. There's no charge to dig into your favorite comfort foods such as Shepherd’s Pie or Fish n’ Chips or throw some darts while taking in a sports game.

Price Per Person: Complimentary

Menus are in the video.

More info HERE

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, alwalaska said:

So, the link below is from our live post from the Getaway with general information on the ship. Starting at Post #63, you'll find breakfast options. 

The 24 hour diner is called O'Shehans. 

Breakfast is available in the MDR, Buffet, O'Shehan's and they use to have a complimentary breakfast buffet in what is now the American Diner. Not sure if this is still available. 

We enjoy the Cirque show, but it is an additional charge. I would stick to the complimentary food and entertainment. Book your two onboard shows 120 days prior to departure

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2574164-norwegian-getaway-western-caribbean/

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the info.  I know food and entertainment are very subjective, but reading others' opinions helps me. Thanks for all of the extra links, videos, reviews, etc.

Funky Fusion FoodsJ, I realize that.  The reason we pushed back to 2021 is that hopefully things will settle back down a little by then.  But who knows.  

I'm definitely not paying this kind of money if we are forced to do some of the things they are saying will be required for the couple of ships and cruise lines starting in Europe this fall. 

Another place for a quick, Continental breakfast most people did not know about was at the Sunset Bar on the Waterfront.  There was always coffee, danish, etc there early in the morning on our Caribbean cruise.  Not sure if they do this on Baltic cruises.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EllieinNJ said:

When we were on the Breakaway which is the sister ship of Getaway they had a small breakfast buffet in Modernos which was free.

We loved the small breakfast buffets in Breakaway's Moderno.  They also had some complimentary themed lunch buffets we enjoyed.  

On any of the ships, advise OP to check the Daily paper for when and where breakfast options are available.

Edited by Sand and Seas
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2020 at 10:48 AM, Sand and Seas said:

We loved the small breakfast buffets in Breakaway's Moderno.  They also had some complimentary themed lunch buffets we enjoyed.  

On any of the ships, advise OP to check the Daily paper for when and where breakfast options are available.

Thanks.  I've found that sometimes, some of the "overflow" locations aren't actually listed in the Daily.  

Who knows what will be up in 2022, but I have plenty of time to wait and see.