Carnival CFO just resigned

drsel

4 hours ago, Jim and Monika said:

I look at it this way. His experience with all these other companies is proof that he doesn't stay with any for a long period of time. He's just moving on like he has done many times in the past.

That's certainly a possibility. 

Here's another: He knows the in-depth financial picture better than the analysts & financiers ... and perhaps has concluded he is aboard the corporate version of the Concordia.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Here's another: He knows the in-depth financial picture better than the analysts & financiers ... and perhaps has concluded he is aboard the corporate version of the Concordia.

What rubbish. He wasn't a corporate beard, but a flunky Carnival Cruise Line employee who has demonstrated no loyalty to any of the numerous companies unfortunate enough to hire him. He reported to an excellent boss - Christine Duffy.

On 8/14/2020 at 1:08 PM, jetsfan58 said:

It's Human Nature. Some can handle the stress and grey hairs that accompany leadership and some can't. Wouldn't read too much into as people make career moves all of the time. 

A person doesn't rise to CFO without being ambitions, driven, and work at it... some look young after the long battle others are grey.  

Don't know how old he is, or maybe he had a life reflection moment, but people dont' just walk away.   

5 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Does it take a poindexter to fixture that out, will CCL and RCCL and others survive the Pandemic, maybe, but he knows all the dirty details that might already be leaking the boat big time.

Easier to be a bean counter at Amazon or other growing company than tourist/travel.  Bean counting is bean counting, LOL

• Thanks 1

David Bernstein is the CFO of Carnival Corp and has been since 2007. He is 62 and a graduate of Harvard Business School.

Jim Heaney likely thought he was worth more than he is and Christine wasn't going to fall for the con. That's why she gets the big bucks.

Maybe, just maybe he wants to spend his last (couple/few) years in a less volatile environment. It's highly likely he does see how things are going forward, and doesn't want the stress of it. Can't blame him if that's the case.

Stress affects everyone, some can deal with it, others it gets to after awhile. And just a wild guess being a CFO probably  comes with stress. 

On 8/14/2020 at 2:13 PM, Je Souhaite said:

When my company went down after 156 years. All the guys at the top took their money and ran while they claimed bankruptcy.  5 years later the employees are wondering where their pensions went.

it gets so dirty.

I worked at Hostess. Been there, done that. Brace for Carnival doing it soon. All deposits will be gone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never like to hear of anyone leaving a company during uncertain times (of course you can't stop the possible involuntary separation). Have to somewhere question the loyalty factor from both spectrum's? This is also why Corporations input "career contingency" plans so that the "next" batter can come to home plate. I thought that I would reference baseball since I am also a Red Sox Fan.  

Trust me Carnival will not miss a beat. 

10 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

Never like to hear of anyone leaving a company during uncertain times (of course you can't stop the possible involuntary separation). Have to somewhere question the loyalty factor from both spectrum's? This is also why Corporations input "career contingency" plans so that the "next" batter can come to home plate. I thought that I would reference baseball since I am also a Red Sox Fan.  

The way I like it phrased is:

If the company lost you, how long before they replace you with someone doing most of your job?  A week, tops, for most positions, maybe two for more specific roles.  No, not all of your job gets covered, but "most" - enough to carry on.  If you are even that crucial - sometimes you'd be replaced immediately, no-one batting an eyelid.

For CFO, there are plenty of beancounters doing the actual work.  The "vision" part of the role might be the toughest part to replace, but if the vision was not in focus anyway...

2 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

For CFO, there are plenty of beancounters doing the actual work.  The "vision" part of the role might be the toughest part to replace, but if the vision was not in focus anyway...

It all depends on how hands-on the CFO is. Some like to delegate while others may micro manage and do a lot of the work themselves. A lot of critical thinking, operational issues and company history are in the person's head and not that easy to pick up by another person on short notice.

2 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

That Carnival has not named a temporary replacement tells me the job isn't that urgent. As he had something to do with IT, could he be the one at fault for the Carnival security breaches?

3 hours ago, drsel said:

The chief procurement officer CPO Julia brown also left.

Unlike the other bozo, Julia was with Corporate and a valuable asset. She was probably bored and tired of playing solitaire. Carnival did name someone to at least temporarily take her place.

• Administrators

Executives in high level positions are often referred to on social sites and online communities.  It is expected at times.

We're requesting that you be respectful and follow our community guidelines when referring to cruise line executives.  Posts may be removed without notice, and depending upon the content members may find their posting privileges suspended.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LauraS said:

Executives in high level positions are often referred to on social sites and online communities.  It is expected at times.

We're requesting that you be respectful and follow our community guidelines when referring to cruise line executives.  Posts may be removed without notice, and depending upon the content members may find their posting privileges suspended.

Interesting.

Will look forward to CC ensuring similar levels of decorum are enforced for posts referencing government agencies (including the CDC), maritime & personal injury attorneys, health authorities, environmentalists, governors and other politicians, TV personalities and the news media. 

• Administrators

I don't think it is that interesting to ask that -- in a discussion about cruise executives -- we ask that our community guidelines be adhered to.

Personal attacks aren't allowed on Cruise Critic; veteran members should know that.  If you see anything harassing against anyone, use the Report a Post feature in the upper right hand corner of every single posting.

• Like 1

.  If you see anything harassing against anyone, use the Report a Post feature in the upper right hand corner of every single posting.

Thanks.
Unfortunately, report a post feature is not available on your Android app.
Can you kindly include it please.

9 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

I think a bunch of headhunters got to the guy.   Offering bigger bucks and more prestige/perks and career path.

That's what usually happens, good times or bad.

My guess was he didn't like his stock options being underwater.

• Haha 1