Retractable Roof

Steven_&_Daniel

1 hour ago, Coral said:

Once, a long time ago.

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Just the other day I listened to some guy on YouTube saying that in the future they probably wouldn't be utilizing the closed pools any longer. 

I did see the roof open on the Coral maybe 10 to 15 years ago, and the Grand when it was new, but not since then. We have sailed 95 days on the Star and never remember seeing the roof open.

When a ship has an enclosed pool it adds to the ship's tonnage, a measure of interior volume.  Ships are charged for things like docking based on tonnage. Even the small amount of tonnage added for an enclosed pool I suppose adds up to extra fees in the long run. The Majestic has 1,400 extra tons over its sister ships due to the enclosed pool.

4 minutes ago, skynight said:

I did see the roof open on the Coral maybe 10 to 15 years ago, and the Grand when it was new, but not since then. We have sailed 95 days on the Star and never remember seeing the roof open.

When a ship has an enclosed pool it adds to the ship's tonnage, a measure of interior volume.  Ships are charged for things like docking based on tonnage. Even the small amount of tonnage added for an enclosed pool I suppose adds up to extra fees in the long run. The Majestic has 1,400 extra tons over its sister ships due to the enclosed pool.

Though it definitely helps spread out passengers on ships in cooler climates. In Alaska, Canada NE, Norway - there are always a ton of people in the enclosed pool area as people are not using the regular pools. I am not a fan of the Caribbean and when I cruise, I always use this area to read. I am not alone in this.

So while I agree with you - I also find ships with out a covered pools seem crowded in cooler climates as people stay more inside and this arena is not available.

I think when companies are building very large tonnage ships, an extra 1400 probably doesn't mean much to them. 

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Coral said:

when I cruise, I always use this area to read. I am not alone in this.

You are definitely not alone. My wife and I love to read in the Conservatory. We rarely see the pool below us being used much. It's a nice, quiet place to read that is out of the sun. It's also convenient for snacks and drinks which are very close by. Of course it can be a little noisy if there is table tennis going on but it's not a big deal. We usually find it too cold to read in Skywalker's. Adagio is a nice place to read on the ships that have that venue.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Thrak said:

You are definitely not alone. My wife and I love to read in the Conservatory. We rarely see the pool below us being used much. It's a nice, quiet place to read that is out of the sun. It's also convenient for snacks and drinks which are very close by. Of course it can be a little noisy if there is table tennis going on but it's not a big deal. We usually find it too cold to read in Skywalker's. Adagio is a nice place to read on the ships that have that venue.

I have tried to read in Skywalkers but always run into loud card games. Conservatory is my place - I love it.

2 hours ago, caribill said:

Makes sense. We were on a Grand Princess 7 day Caribbean in 2000. I remember they opened the Calypso roof. I also remember the roof being opened on the Coral in 2003. I haven't seen anything recently.

I would say an open and closed case... mainly closed..... sorry couldn't help it

On 8/23/2020 at 11:12 AM, Thrak said:

. Of course it can be a little noisy if there is table tennis going on but it's not a big deal. 

and those jigsaw puzzle people so noisy ... lol

One thought is... too much maintenance needed to open and close roof regularly.... so they leave it closed

Also  it could put a lot of strain on the structure so they don't do it....

Somebody lost the remote control........

Interesting  Don

• Haha 1