If only the airlines had Lift & Shift!

I cashed in 65K per person for the wife and I to fly to Europe pre our Italy and Greece cruise this year.... the cruise that never happened. 🙂

RCI left me Lift & Shift to 2021, but the airlines refused, insisted on giving me my miles back and telling me to buy new tickets next year.

OK....    time to buy those tickets.    Same airline -- same flight   wants 400K miles per person this year.

Ugh yeah  RCI, I might not make my cruise.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

I cashed in 65K per person for the wife and I to fly to Europe pre our Italy and Greece cruise this year.... the cruise that never happened. 🙂

RCI left me Lift & Shift to 2021, but the airlines refused, insisted on giving me my miles back and telling me to buy new tickets next year.

OK....    time to buy those tickets.    Same airline -- same flight   wants 400K miles per person this year.

Ugh yeah  RCI, I might not make my cruise.

I am very sorry to hear  that. Airline companies are working on some other algorithm of things and have totally different procedures for cancellations and refunds. From what Ive read in your post it was going to be some nice trip. Hope you will be able to take take next year and enjoy it. Italy might be a problem, Greece is already open though  

Sorry to hear that. While Lufthansa treats its customers despicably in regards to cancelled flight refunds (March flight cancelled, still no money), they let us re-book all flights from 2020 to 2021 without rebooking fees (some charges if booking a different class might occur, but that's still better than what the OP describes). 

This will be due to reduced number of flights and having to recover revenue just like every other travel business out there. That was my biggest concern with my Nov cruise canceling. By the time it did cancel, the cost of the new cruise would be well above the 125% FCC. When a great rate came out, we just chose to rebook. We booked at $2,300. That same room is now $3,200. If we waited for 125% FCC, I would be paying an additional $600 for the cruise. 

• Like 1

Due to the no sail order our our cruise out of Galveston was cancelled.  I'd already purchased the airline tickets, called to cancel and the agent told me I'd only get $20.00 back per ticket due to the $200.00 per ticket change fee.  I waited a few weeks called again and was given a voucher for future travel for the entire amount.  Give it some time and try again, things are changing daily.

Good Luck!

Had couple canceled Cruises and was able use the Airline Credit given for other flights. Was lucky new Flights being cheaper, instead of 4 Flights before able purchase 6 new ones... Have 2 through Air2Sea have deal with yet, we'll see but don't think will be as lucky

9 hours ago, karli_ratte said:

Sorry to hear that. While Lufthansa treats its customers despicably in regards to cancelled flight refunds (March flight cancelled, still no money), they let us re-book all flights from 2020 to 2021 without rebooking fees (some charges if booking a different class might occur, but that's still better than what the OP describes). 

Eeeek....I have a flight on Lufthansa for this Dec 2020 for a Xmas Market land tour that was cancelled. The tour company can only try for a refund 3 days before departure but more than likely a flight credit. Which is ok cause I've rebooked the tour for Dec 2021 and can use the business seats then...Fingers crossed.

I've had great luck with refunds with DL & AA but have heard bad things about Lufthansa !!

Edited by Ashland

42 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Had couple canceled Cruises and was able use the Airline Credit given for other flights. Was lucky new Flights being cheaper, instead of 4 Flights before able purchase 6 new ones... Have 2 through Air2Sea have deal with yet, we'll see but don't think will be as lucky

Hmmm...Air2Sea. I'm considering using them for my LAX-AMS this July 2021 X cruise...for their DL (KLM) flight. Have never used cruise air before but the terms vs booking directly look a bit better. Have you dealt with cruise air ever ?

I got my refunded miles quickly!  They were great to deal with no issues there.

I'm just saying now I'm subject to the new prices.

65K one way last year

400K this year.

I asked 3 times if there was any way to just get a credit for my ticket and use it again without having to deal with shopping for miles again.  Was told no.

RCI was able to let you not worry about price changing via Lift and Shift.  I was just wishing the big 3 american based airlines would have done the same.

A rant -- i know. 🙂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Hmmm...Air2Sea. I'm considering using them for my LAX-AMS this July 2021 X cruise...for their DL (KLM) flight. Have never used cruise air before but the terms vs booking directly look a bit better. Have you dealt with cruise air ever ?

My first. Couldn't beat the price was $1200 Air2Sea First Class to Rome when was 3 times direct Airline booking. Would been $360 for a Comfort Plus style seat. Was looking forward to full lay down in First Class, for that long flight traveling alone worth it to me. Shoot even the Cruise in my Corner/Aft Balcony Cabin 9256 was down to only $1025 with my Discount/Reductions last 6 months. This Nov TA Cruise on Jewel was canceled 2 weeks ago. Oh well...

4 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

My first. Couldn't beat the price was $1200 Air2Sea First Class to Rome when was 3 times direct Airline booking. Would been $360 for a Comfort Plus style seat. Was looking forward to full lay down in First Class, for that long flight traveling alone worth it to me. Shoot even the Cruise in my Corner/Aft Balcony Cabin 9256 was down to only $1025 with my Discount/Reductions last 6 months. This Nov TA Cruise on Jewel was canceled 2 weeks ago. Oh well...

Love the full flat seats on DL & AA for long flights. I'm going to book the same for DL (KLM) if my cruise sails. I'm curious what the flights with Air2Sea will be when they open.

I've only priced cruise air once with RCI and it was much more for my first class than I got directly from AA for my LAX-SJU.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 12:19 PM, Ashland said:

If booking Air 2 Sea just make sure that you purchase refundable air.  Those can be cancelled up to final payment, no penalties and you don’t pay until final payment. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If booking Air 2 Sea just make sure that you purchase refundable air.  Those can be cancelled up to final payment, no penalties and you don’t pay until final payment. 

Perhaps I'm wrong but I thought I read that's all their selling now. I will of course verify all policy details prior to purchase.

Thanks for your input...as always.

26 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Perhaps I'm wrong but I thought I read that's all their selling now. I will of course verify all policy details prior to purchase.

Thanks for your input...as always.

Thanks I hadn’t seen that.  I just checked and even from Canada which typically only had non refundable flights they are only selling refundable.  They dropped 2 of the 3 airlines in doing this but the one they are selling is now refundable. 

4 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Thanks I hadn’t seen that.  I just checked and even from Canada which typically only had non refundable flights they are only selling refundable.  They dropped 2 of the 3 airlines in doing this but the one they are selling is now refundable. 

Thanks for verifying what I thought. That makes a big difference.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 11:31 AM, ONECRUISER said:

Just curious what airline?  I have 2 cancelled flights with AA.  They say you have to pay more if the new flight is higher, but, don't say what if new flights are less.  I have a $600 and a $300 ticket.  I've also wondered if they'll let you use the credit towards a vacation package, thinking about flying to Cozumel or the DR for an all inclusive in lieu of a cruise this year.  

On 8/27/2020 at 12:51 AM, RCCL Fan said:

Which airline?

Do you have any status with the airline?

14 minutes ago, maureencruiser said:

Just curious what airline?  I have 2 cancelled flights with AA.  They say you have to pay more if the new flight is higher, but, don't say what if new flights are less.  I have a $600 and a $300 ticket.  I've also wondered if they'll let you use the credit towards a vacation package, thinking about flying to Cozumel or the DR for an all inclusive in lieu of a cruise this year.  

On Delta, though havent changed anything yet