Live from MSC Grandiosa, Genoa, September 6-13, 2020

petra75

1 hour ago, tiger-91 said:

Hi Petra. I read that there were only about 1500 passengers. Why was that so? Some cruiselines say they will start at 50%, but I don't understand, if the sailing is fully booked, how they determine which people get to go.  It seems to me that your cruise was available for booking pre-covid.

When did you book this cruise? Perhaps everyone was "cancelled" and first to rebook got to go? 

I understand if the only question you can answer is when you booked.

Thanks!

Lots of people woud've cancelled because they didn't want to go and only Schengen residents were allowed, which would significantly reduce numbers.

On 9/14/2020 at 1:59 PM, sverigecruiser said:

Thank you Petra.

I heared that the schools in Bergamo should open today and I really hope that everything goes well.

I have a sister who lives in Perugia with her two children and as you know they haven't been in school for a long time!

I really appreciate all information about the cruise you have given to us.

Thank you sverigecruiser! Yes, schools are slowly reopening, hope your nieces can already go as well. We'll see how it goes, strange times... 

On 9/16/2020 at 1:38 AM, rkacruiser said:

Disagree:  I enjoyed the open feeling of the area and the easy access to other venues on that deck.  Not sure if Grandiosa has a Dome Show, but Meraviglia did several times a night.  Short, but each were enjoyable and unique, in my opinion.

I wonder if this is not the same Lounge where the Cirque shows were performed on Meraviglia.  Only one experience in that venue, but I liked it's set-up for entertainment.

Hi rkacruiser, yes, Grandiosa has Dome Show as well.

Carousel louge is indeed the one where Cirque du soleil performed. We were aware their shows are suspended for the time being

18 hours ago, ellenw said:

Thanks so much for your review, Petra. I am starved for cruise reviews!

I was too!!! It was the best thing to read when not on a cruise ourselves!

1 hour ago, tiger-91 said:

Hi Petra. I read that there were only about 1500 passengers. Why was that so? Some cruiselines say they will start at 50%, but I don't understand, if the sailing is fully booked, how they determine which people get to go.  It seems to me that your cruise was available for booking pre-covid.

When did you book this cruise? Perhaps everyone was "cancelled" and first to rebook got to go? 

I understand if the only question you can answer is when you booked.

Thanks!

Hi tiger-91. First MSC started as soon as our government allowed that, we never thought it would be a matter of number of passengers they could have on those first cruise but a way to begin and try to regain the people's confidence. Pretty sure the cruise we were on was not sold before lockdown, at least with the itinerary we did, too many italians ports, west mediterranean cruises, even if only a week long, went at least to Spain before.

We bought that about a week before sailing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, petra75 said:

Thank you sverigecruiser! Yes, schools are slowly reopening, hope your nieces can already go as well. We'll see how it goes, strange times... 

It's surreal to hear how the situation is around the world when everything is normal here! Our schools have been open for a month now after the summer break and still no signs of a second wave or any new spreading  among children.

Too many people have absolutely died in Sweden but for me personally life hasn't changed at all.  

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 5:27 AM, IRMO12HD said:

Thank you so much for your great review (and thank you, Darko, for the great pictures!).  If I may ask, what kind of cabin were you in?  Did you happen to notice if any of the Inside cabins were being used?  

Hallo! We were in an inside cabin, as usual, I meant to write that as well in an earlier post but clearly I forgot. As you can figure we were not concerned about aircon!

On 9/11/2020 at 6:52 AM, petra75 said:

As planned a couple of days ago, in Palermo, we took our only ship (like there were another choices...) excursion. So, here how it worked out. It was described as a three and a half walking tour of the city.

In the end the excursion lasts just over three hours, we were a bit tired since it was really hot but it was nice and we definitely would do it again, a good way to see a glimpse of a city for the first time.

Were their any restroom stops?

12 hours ago, caribill said:

Were their any restroom stops?

Hi caribill,

yes, we had one restroom stop, I'd say in the middle of the tour, that was actually during the visit of the cathedral since toilets are inside it! It was really convenient so that, while who needed that took advantage of, we could wander and have a first look of it. When everyboby was ready we had a comprehensive tour of the cathedral with our guide's explanation.   

44 minutes ago, petra75 said:

Hi caribill,

yes, we had one restroom stop, I'd say in the middle of the tour, that was actually during the visit of the cathedral since toilets are inside it! It was really convenient so that, while who needed that took advantage of, we could wander and have a first look of it. When everyboby was ready we had a comprehensive tour of the cathedral with our guide's explanation.   

Thanks.

Was your tour group people  the only ones in the church at the time or was there a possibility of interacting with others when using the rest room?

6 minutes ago, caribill said:

Thanks.

Was your tour group people  the only ones in the church at the time or was there a possibility of interacting with others when using the rest room?

I remember there were other people inside the church at that moment but, since we didn't need to go to the toilets, we didn't notice if only our group was allowed to go there in the given period of time

1 hour ago, petra75 said:

Hi caribill,

I really hate when people ask for a restroom stop on a short excursion. This was a good way to do it to make everyone happy!

• 3 weeks later...

@petra75

Hi,

I'm doing the same cruise but get off the ship in Civitavecchia.

Since the airline changed my flight times - it will be tough to get to the airport in time!

I'm wondering if it is possible to carry off your luggage on your own?

They say the de-boarding starts at 8 am - do you think they will keep their timing? Did you get to the ports on time?

Thank you for your input!

45 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

@petra75

Hi,

Since the airline changed my flight times - it will be tough to get to the airport in time!

They say the de-boarding starts at 8 am - do you think they will keep their timing? Did you get to the ports on time?

Is there a later flight you can take with that airline?

Since the airline changed the flight time to make it difficult to make the plane, they should be willing to change you to a later flight at no extra cost to you.

6 minutes ago, caribill said:

Is there a later flight you can take with that airline?

Since the airline changed the flight time to make it difficult to make the plane, they should be willing to change you to a later flight at no extra cost to you.

No reasonable later flight!

The airline is willing to refund the tickets and leave me stranded.....we live in a different world now - airlines do not have to obey the law - they can do whatever they want these days....

Anyway the question is wether MSC has self assist debarkation and if they are on time I should barely be able to make it! I have a 30 minute margin for error.....

But thank you for your input!

Edited by cruiseboy89130

8 minutes ago, carol326 said:

Perhaps if you visit with them in guest relations (if you are already on the ship) or give the cruise line a call to inform them of your situation they will be willing to assist you in getting off in a timely manner.

Yes that is what I'm really hoping for!

The Call-Center was no help as they read of their script and there is no such thing as my situation....

I'm sure it is not the first time in these times that people get stuck in such a situation....

Just wanted to know if anybody has recently experienced such a situation......for the peace of mind....

Thanks!

Edited by cruiseboy89130

I'm in the US.  CDC has us shut down. I just had to move our Nov. 1 cruise to May because our cruise was cancelled. Bummer! We did have one close call, but it was the transfer company making us late, not an airline change. Crazy, crazy world!! Good luck!

Yeah and the airline does not give a .... they cancelled my flight and send me to an alternative airport which is actually closer to home - but I didn't book because of the flight timing!

They are down from 3 flights a day to 2 flights a week!

Can't even fly the next day!

If I miss the flight it will be  a 16 hour trip with 3 flights instead of a 2,5 hour non-stop and lot's of $$$ for the new flights....

Did you book the flight directly with the airline or use air from MSC?

If booked the air with MSC, ask them for their solution.

When is your cruise?

It might be far enough in the future than the airline schedule may change again.

• Like 1

MSC currently hardly offers any flight- packages I was looking for that when I booked.... I'm sure it is more headaches for them then money to be made!

Anyway it is 4 weeks but they tend to change the flight times until 14 days out - when the EU fines kick in (what a wonderful piece of legislation!) but it might change both ways....but chances are very, very slim that flight is changing again - since they only have a few days left without being fined!

I am hoping the ship folks will let me get off quickly and on time and I should be OK then....

The first victim of the virus was customer service!

Edited by cruiseboy89130

11 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

@petra75

Hi,

I desembarked in Civitavecchia on October, 5th and not allowed self desembarkation because all luggage must be sanificated. They started at 8.30am with Yacht Clup passengers, 08.45am with Diamonds, Aurea and deck 12 and 14. At  09.00am all the other passengers. My hand luggage was sanificated as well on the gangway.

Edited by portofrome
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, portofrome said:

I desembarked in Civitavecchia on October, 5th and not allowed self desembarkation because all luggage must be sanificated. They started at 8.30am with Yacht Clup passengers, 08.45am with Diamonds, Aurea and deck 12 and 14. At  09.00am all the other passengers. My hand luggage was sanificated as well on the gangway.

That makes absolute sense, and will need to be factored in for flight timings!

On 10/11/2020 at 7:44 PM, cruiseboy89130 said:

Hi cruiseboy,

I didn't asked for self disembarkation but I saw portofrome already answered your question about that.

I just can add that yes, during my cruise we always arrived at the ports on time but no wonder since the distances between ports were short and the weather was fantastic.

13 hours ago, portofrome said:

38 minutes ago, petra75 said:

Hi cruiseboy,

I didn't asked for self disembarkation but I saw portofrome already answered your question about that.

I just can add that yes, during my cruise we always arrived at the ports on time but no wonder since the distances between ports were short and the weather was fantastic.

Hi,

Thank you both for your input!

I talked to MSC today......and the agent was sure the staff on board will work with me to make it happen!

He had taken a recent cruise himself and could not see why I couldn't take my suitcase of myself.......he said well they would just need to spray a little bigger suitcase on the gangway......not a big deal....

Since I do not have much choice at this point anyway.....I just hope he is right and the ship will work with me to solve this miserable situation!