Live from MSC Grandiosa, Genoa, September 6-13, 2020

petra75

8 hours ago, petra75 said:

Hi rkacruiser, no handrails near the stairs in Grandiosa theather and I think that the back of the seats are not convenient at all as an help for balance, too low. There is just the handrail you can see in the photo below that runs from side to side but it's just a separator I believe.

I appreciate you answering my question.  Thank you.  What you observed on Grandiosa is what I experienced on Meraviglia.  

7 hours ago, KennyFla said:

Thank You.  I may like the buffet this way better.

6 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I like this buffet set-up too.  

I agree with both of you.  Such a set-up avoids the opportunity for contamination of the food by other guests whether their hands are clean or not.  

• Like 3

Me too about this buffet setup!... It is worth to mention that it's not just about the Covid-19 thing, it is about Norovirus as well., and there were several outbreaks of it on the last months before the pandemic across the board on the Industry. I hope the newer ships already in the shipyard or the projected newer ones to have a different food concept more akin to these new times going. Let the old buffets to rest in peace and let us to have some newer concepts that turn our holidays better and more relaxed. My suggestion would be to have several food stations like on a shopping mall premium food hall where you collect your plated or cooked to order items from and go to your table to enjoy. Let this to be the model of the future for mainstream cruising dinning.

Have a nice day!...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fletch1 said:

We may not hear from Petra now until she is off the ship. She is at sea today and then disembarks tomorrow. 

Hopefully we can get an overall run down when she gets home. 

Hello Fletch, we came back home a few hours ago:-( 

We're definitely going to put down our final thoughts soon, stay tuned! 

On 9/11/2020 at 4:49 PM, J_Boss said:

Ciao Petra,

Is there any chance you can see how the photo sessions are happening? We did the unlimited photo pack on Grandiosa in January and have another sailing booked for March. Just curious if people need masks for photos, as I imagine they do.

Thanks for all the excellent info!

Jordan

Ciao Jordan,

if for photo session you mean the usual photo shooting you can get by ship photografers around the ship, for instance during gala evenings, no problem. Having been on an MSC ship (or even on other cruise lines') you would know that this kind of things are made in places were social distance is guaranteed (a closed flight of stairs, a secluded corner...) were people cannot came and go, otherwise it would be difficult to make nice photos, so there, you can, and want, remove facemask. Thinking about that I didn't see photografers at pool deck during sail away and the kind, there would be difficult to take pictures without facemasks.

On 9/9/2020 at 10:31 AM, Roger88 said:

Dear Petra, thank you so much for the photos. It makes me feel so confident about my future cruise. Its like me being there with you going to places on board the ship. Photos are very nice. Did you take them on the phone? (which one?). Cant wait to get on board and make a little overview myself and post photos here on the forum 

Thenk you Roger, my fiance is the photografer. He usually use a Canon superzoom travel compact camera, model SX730HS, but some photos are made with his phone, Redmi Note 9 Pro

On 9/10/2020 at 8:53 PM, bones774 said:

Hi Petra, did you run into any single/solo travelers? How were they treated at meal time, were they placed together? Were inside solo cabins offered to your knowledge? Any info on that situation is appreciated. Thanks

Hi bones774, sorry but I didn't have the chance to talk to any single or solo traveler. For what I saw I just can tell you that there were several people at MDR eating alone, thing I've never seen before, so I don't think they are seating anybody, solo included, with people they don't know now, like it used before Covid19. I know though that some people that met on the ship asked, and obtained, to change table in order to sit together.

• Like 3

On 9/10/2020 at 1:57 AM, discru said:

Thank you, Petra, for your review. I hope you are having a wonderful time on your cruise. 
Will you please further explain this statement: “Every day you must have your temperature checked at given slot times, today were during breakfast time at buffet and this evening at buffet or MDRs before dinner.”

I’m curious how they are scheduling people. Do passengers have to wake up early and show up at breakfast at a certain time, or are there multiple time slots and locations available for temperature checks throughout the day?  Same time and place each day?  

Also, are they allowing people to sit around the bars for a drink, or only at tables in the bar areas?

Hi discru, about the temperature check during the week we stayed on the scheduled was always the same, that is at buffet during breakfast time (about 7 to 11am every day), before lunch or dinner at MDRs, before dinner at buffet and specialty restaurants, so I cannot think of anybody not showing up at any of those places at least ones a day, unless they are not well of course, but if it is so I would think one would warn someone of the crew. But if one, like us, for instance always went to buffet for breakfast and MDR for dinner got the check twice a day, they don't check if you've already done that for that day. Actually when we got off for our excursion in Palermo we got checked 4 times since if get checked getting on and off as well!

About the bars: you mean if you're allowed to sit on stools or stand by the bar? If so yes, stools are distanced and there are signs on the floor to show you the right distance to stand while drinking.

On 9/11/2020 at 2:08 PM, Fletch1 said:

I just love walking tours. Whenever we travel and stay a few days in a major city, we always hunt our walking tours and try and do one early in our stay. It gives you a great feel for the city and the guide usually gives you some great hints and suggestions for what to do in the city (obviously not applicable in the case of cruise shore tours). 

Did you previously say these walking tours were 50 euro or 3 for 100 euro? For a 3 hour tour, I find 50 euro reasonable value for a group of 20 people. 

We often do walking tours as well! The ship's one we took in Palermo was just 25 euros, I believe that for the package of 3 excursions for 100 euros you get longer excursions.

On 9/11/2020 at 3:54 PM, logan25 said:

Curious that the ship departed hours early.  The itinerary Petra posted listed port time until 6 pm.  Easy to surmise all the passengers were onboard though, so no ramp runners.

Unfortunately no ramp runners for a while, since you can get off only with ship excursions that are known to always be waited patiently by the captain!:-) Yes, the captain himself informed us that we were all aboard and could depart earlier than planned so that we could enjoy the wonderful scenery of Malta

On 9/11/2020 at 4:18 PM, cellfree said:

Petra you are truly wonderful for taking your time to answer all our questions. I had asked about your Captain and you said it was Captain Massa. I suspect due to all the new protocols that he is not able to mingle about his ship as he has done in the past. He was always very visible and friendly the several times he was our Captain in the past. Again Petra, thank you for helping all of us with your information.

We have seen many other officers around the ship, and had a word with some as well, so I don't think Covid19 changed those habits. Maybe we just didn't frequent the same places.

• Like 5

On 9/8/2020 at 8:23 AM, petra75 said:

Hallo everybody from Naples. On board Grandiosa life's good!

Another change about health I have not mention yet are menus. There are no more paper menus in bars and restaurants, but qrcode to scan while your device is connected to Grandiosa Hotspot free WiFi so you can download and read them on them. I saw someone in MDR reading a printed copy of the menu, so of course if you can't-will not use personal devices your are able to order your dìnner still!:-). I haven't seen any paper menu in bars but I believe will be easy enough to order something with the help of waiters there!

Jaha8DH.jpg?1

V7OalRa.jpg

Some other picture from buffet, maybe they show the flow better:

Xfoprlk.jpg

5k6E3vM.jpg

After the narrow part where you are close but the line going the other direction of buffet line is for walking only, the exit doors are different than the entrance ones

AIlCd6m.jpg 

Scanning a menu could be a problem for some of us seniors. We recently went to a restaurant that required that, and since my hubby does not have a smartphone, he did not have a menu. I had trouble figuring out what to do, but my grandson helped me out. Thank goodness we were with family, or we would have been without menus! Not sure I like this. 

2 hours ago, petra75 said:

Hi discru, about the temperature check during the week we stayed on the scheduled was always the same, that is at buffet during breakfast time (about 7 to 11am every day), before lunch or dinner at MDRs, before dinner at buffet and specialty restaurants, so I cannot think of anybody not showing up at any of those places at least ones a day, unless they are not well of course, but if it is so I would think one would warn someone of the crew. But if one, like us, for instance always went to buffet for breakfast and MDR for dinner got the check twice a day, they don't check if you've already done that for that day. Actually when we got off for our excursion in Palermo we got checked 4 times since if get checked getting on and off as well!

About the bars: you mean if you're allowed to sit on stools or stand by the bar? If so yes, stools are distanced and there are signs on the floor to show you the right distance to stand while drinking.

We often do walking tours as well! The ship's one we took in Palermo was just 25 euros, I believe that for the package of 3 excursions for 100 euros you get longer excursions.

Unfortunately no ramp runners for a while, since you can get off only with ship excursions that are known to always be waited patiently by the captain!:-) Yes, the captain himself informed us that we were all aboard and could depart earlier than planned so that we could enjoy the wonderful scenery of Malta

We have seen many other officers around the ship, and had a word with some as well, so I don't think Covid19 changed those habits. Maybe we just didn't frequent the same places.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review with pics. I have a 14 day Panama Canal cruise booked for January out of Galveston, TX, if we can return to cruising. 

Thank you so much for sharing your experience Petra. I am curious about the elevator. I have read before that they are allowing only 4 to an elevator, but why do the have the footprints facing? Any idea? It seems you would want to face forward as usual rather than facing each other?

Thank you very much for this live review! I have seen Youtube videos of the buffet. But I couldn't figure out if, say you wanted a piece of bread, you had to go back to the sink area to rejoin the buffet line, or could you cross the roped barrier to get it handed to you?

Also, did you keep any of the daily newspapers? i'm sure they're in Italian, but it would be great to post them in the F B group of MSC menus and daily programs.

Thanks again!

9 hours ago, petra75 said:
9 hours ago, petra75 said:

Ciao Jordan,

if for photo session you mean the usual photo shooting you can get by ship photografers around the ship, for instance during gala evenings, no problem. Having been on an MSC ship (or even on other cruise lines') you would know that this kind of things are made in places were social distance is guaranteed (a closed flight of stairs, a secluded corner...) were people cannot came and go, otherwise it would be difficult to make nice photos, so there, you can, and want, remove facemask. Thinking about that I didn't see photografers at pool deck during sail away and the kind, there would be difficult to take pictures without facemasks.

Grazie Mille Petra,

That's exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks again for doing all this. I feel there are many people who appreciate it.

Jordan

Grazie Petra. You did a great job. Have a safe trip home. If you are still in the mood and have the time could you give us a small summary from your point of view, what did MSC right and what it could still be improved with Coronavirus in mind?  Coronavirus is deterring many people from cruising but if we regain confidence that things are well done and there is no chaos we might cruise again soon.

Ivi

• Like 1

Thank you Petra.

I heared that the schools in Bergamo should open today and I really hope that everything goes well.

I have a sister who lives in Perugia with her two children and as you know they haven't been in school for a long time!

I really appreciate all information about the cruise you have given to us.

Thank you Petra for the excellent review. It lt lets me know what I want to do with the 3 cruises I have booked for next year and gives me things to tell my family and friends that threaten to put us in a closet if we think about going!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1