Live from MSC Grandiosa, Genoa, September 6-13, 2020

petra75

I just realized there are no excursions' prices so checked on MSC app. I believe prices are more or less as they were before Covid19 (we didn't book many ship excursions...), except in every port there are one or two escursions between 20 and 30 Euros for an adult, don't remember prices so low for a 3-4 hours excursion, but I may be wrong. Anyway I believe they are trying to give choices for everybody's pockets. For example our 3 and an half Palermo walking tour is 25,99 euros now, it was 25 when we booked it in advance.

• Like 3

Hi Petra ... Thanks for posting the photos, I would agree with Bermuda Bound that the Blue circles should be off set/ staggered, so that people would not be standing opposite each other either side of the barrier. Hope you enjoy your cruise and have fun.

22 hours ago, Postman1963 said:

What was the covid test like? I don't want a brain swab up my nose.

AJ

It was very quick but yes, for a second went a bit deep into the nose, to us it was annoying but soon forgotten!  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, petra75 said:

It was very quick but yes, for a second went a bit deep into the nose, to us it was annoying but soon forgotten!  

I think that would put me off for the time being, just as well we cannot cruise due to Government advice.

26 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

On another note: This is not a slam on MSC, as I see this type of marking in many stores I enter. The line itself is social distancing, but when the que double backs on itself....not so much....

Sorry, the picture does not show properly what those signs are for: they are not in any means for a single line to fold, but they only show which way you should walk on. There are dividers there since the hall is not very broad, but those kind of signs are in many places, hope the picture of the promenade below shows the real purpose better.

frJ79H9.jpg  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, sidari said:

I think that would put me off for the time being, just as well we cannot cruise due to Government advice.

Its not to bad when somone else does it - its the self test swabs that leave you in a sneezing fit 🙂

By the way you can now cruise in the UK - just been checking out the severn valley EHC cruises.. Not bad value when you consider whats included - Majestic line are also in operation in Scotland though they are pretty much sold out 🙂 - Im not quite sure though how are FCO decides whats a cruise ship and whats a river cruise as technically you would think Majestics would class as sea cruises.

Are MSC selling the trips as a entire package like Costa ?

@Petra

Thanks Petra for taking time out of your holiday to do this. I didn't think the shore excursions would be so involved (Sistine Chapel and walking tours). I expected them to be bus tours with no stops, so no cruiser was mixing with locals. 

Tony

• Like 1

2 hours ago, petra75 said:

Sorry, the picture does not show properly what those signs are for: they are not in any means for a single line to fold, but they only show which way you should walk on. There are dividers there since the hall is not very broad, but those kind of signs are in many places, hope the picture of the promenade below shows the real purpose better.

frJ79H9.jpg  

Oh, now I get it.  👍😷

5 hours ago, petra75 said:

A glass or two of Prosecco afterwards would help that annoyance to be forgotten!

I appreciate your reporting and your photos.  Take time to enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

Thank you so much @petra75 for this live report. I expect this post will go viral especially since you are including relevant details of ship life after Covid. Please now that the time you are devoting is much appreciated and I'm wishing you a terrific sailing.

On another note: This is not a slam on MSC, as I see this type of marking in many stores I enter. The line itself is social distancing, but when the que double backs on itself....not so much....

image.png.69f7b65c1dbc96283742a7df781136cb.png&key=97a2d3b241fe6f00b319093f8adb0c809a984e0807db6099874271ff0eb52c26

At some point you need to follow intuition and stand apart when the line doubles back. The prints on the floor are just guides aren’t they ? [emoji848]

• Like 2

We had heard there were big discounts on excursions, something like 3 excursions for 100 euros.  From what you are saying these may be restricted to walking tours or panoramic bus tours?  I'm also surprised to see some of the regular excursions in there as I thought there would be limited options - good to see. 

petra75, 

Your reports are very informative and thank you.  I have a question. At what percent of passenger capacity would you say your ship is sailing?

Also a comment. An earlier poster implied that an MSC cruise is like a ride on a public bus. That is not necessarily true. There are various classes of rooms and service on MSC. The top category is the Yacht Club. We’ve done that before and found it generally as good as a luxury cruise on a smaller ship — and in some respects better — and for a much lower cost.

5 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

petra75, 

Also a comment. An earlier poster implied that an MSC cruise is like a ride on a public bus. That is not necessarily true. There are various classes of rooms and service on MSC. 

I'm guessing that the public bus comment may refer to how some people embark/disembark for their cruises at each port.  Some get on in Genoa for their week and some get on in Palermo, etc.  Is that correct?

17 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Public bus?  I'm just curious what you mean.

People board and disembark at each port. It works very well; it means you can board at the port which suits you most, and it means that thousands of people are not all boarding on the same day. 

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, oakridger said:

I'm guessing that the public bus comment may refer to how some people embark/disembark for their cruises at each port.  Some get on in Genoa for their week and some get on in Palermo, etc.  Is that correct?

Got it in one, it is a process seamless to those not embarking or disembarking at a particular port and it does not affect the cruise experience one iota!

1 hour ago, Elorac123 said:

A lady said to a gent in Woolworths who was right behind her said “didn’t you see the arrows”

His reply, “didn’t even see the Indians love”

Cheers Carole

Carole we love Woolworths in Australia , no longer in UK but our stores were nothing like yours with the bottle shop attached

Liz

12 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

Carole we love Woolworths in Australia , no longer in UK but our stores were nothing like yours with the bottle shop attached

Liz

Liz I live in Queensland and it happens to be the only state that we can’t buy alcohol in a supermarket ,really annoying so if you visit Oz again Qld is a no go for your tipple in a supermarket.

Cheers Carole

19 hours ago, petra75 said:

Since some people asked about, find attached below the list of the excursions available:

A great choice of tours! I am surprised. I would have thought some of the more mixing in public tours (walking tours) would be very limited and the "sitting on a bus scenic tours" would be a bigger option. 

Edited by Fletch1