Future cruise deposit not enough to reserve any longer?

gottagocit

We decided to book a voyage or two in 2021 and 2022 using a couple of our future cruise deposits we have had for some time but when trying to make a reservation online there was no option to use it. Instead the system required a full deposit. The booking was not part of any promotion other than the new option to include WiFi, gratuities and etc. We’ve used them many times in the past for any voyage without limits. Has something changed? We chose not to pay the deposit for the time being. 

2 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

Have you tried putting a hold on the cabin you want on those cruises and then calling them to apply the fcd? 

I have not tried that. In the past we didn’t need to do that and the last time we read comments about calling in the wait was significant. 

1 minute ago, gottagocit said:

I have not tried that. In the past we didn’t need to do that and the last time we read comments about calling in the wait was significant. 

It's never fun trying to call Princess. To the best of my remembrance, last time I used a fcd I had to put the cabin on hold and get my pvp to do the magic.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, roamerfromtexas said:

I just booked a cruise online Friday.  When I reached the screen  for  payment and clicked that we accepted the passenger info, it than asked if we wished to apply our fcd’s.

Thanks. I just tried that and it did work for one voyage in early 2022 but not the second one that is set to sale next September.
Our account shows we each still have a FCD available and another one each that is still attached to a sailing in April that we were informed last week had been cancelled due to ship repositioning. Lol I guess we will need to call tomorrow and try to get them applied to the booking. 

I have frequently had the same problem online. Sometimes when I book online it asks if I want to use the FCDs and sometimes it doesn't - I haven't been able to figure out why. When it doesn't, I put the cruise on Hold and call Princess. The Princess rep has no problem applying the FCD to the cruise. The only problem is the amount of time I'm on hold waiting.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, frogandtoad said:

I don't know how long the cruise is that you're trying to use the FCD on but it may be able to only be used on cruises less than 45 days.  I know mine are like that.

Actually they were both <20 days long. One in 2022 allowed us to use FCDs and the second one in 2021 didn’t. 

Thanks for all the replies I too have have this problem, the last time for a 24 day cruise and I just paid the the deposit they asked for.

No longer, next time I will put it on hold and phone Princess to use my FCD.

This is why CC is so great as someone else is sure to have had the same problem as you and someone else will have a solution. 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

I have frequently had the same problem online. Sometimes when I book online it asks if I want to use the FCDs and sometimes it doesn't - I haven't been able to figure out why. When it doesn't, I put the cruise on Hold and call Princess. The Princess rep has no problem applying the FCD to the cruise. The only problem is the amount of time I'm on hold waiting.

Yep. This.

Sometimes it is so easy and some times it doesn't work at all....as usual ....consistently inconsistent... 😊

• Like 1

Yes, Mary calls me and asks if I'm just thinking or want more time to make a deposit. We also start an email thread because I like to have everything including ship excursions settled before embarkation (the small excursions tend to sell out). I use my OBC for gratuities + misc ..... right now I have 4 threads going. 3 future cruises, 1 refund pending ($434.32, I got the FCC back immediately)

She somehow can see everything I do online. I just put ziplining & Juneau Tramway on hold so she'll call and manipulate the OBC to cover zipline / leave Tramway on hold / eventually I'll want internet for just the 15 yr old. I won't need more than my comped minutes & don't want to pay for 4 devices

Edited by Ombud

9 hours ago, frogandtoad said:

I don't know how long the cruise is that you're trying to use the FCD on but it may be able to only be used on cruises less than 45 days.  I know mine are like that.

For the longer cruises the FCD can still be applied, not for the total deposit, but to get a 3% discount on the cruise fare along with a reduced amount of deposit required.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ombud said:

Yeah, thats why I just put it on hold and wait for my PVP to call me 

I never call my pvp. I email her instead. She gets right back to me, and I have a record of what we both said. In case I forget, which is likely. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

I never call my pvp. I email her instead. She gets right back to me, and I have a record of what we both said. In case I forget, which is likely. 

28 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Love paper trails. 

#us too

• Like 1

13 hours ago, caribill said:

For the longer cruises the FCD can still be applied, not for the total deposit, but to get a 3% discount on the cruise fare along with a reduced amount of deposit required.

Thanks for this info.  I'll have to give it a try if and when I ever book a longer cruise.

• Like 1