Air Travel To/From Ship

LesSails80435

My wife and I have sailed more than 20 ocean and 3 European river cruises. We have had 3 cruises cancelled because of COVID, yet have 4 cruises booked for 2021 & 2022. We've been reading with great interest, the industry's safety protocols and efforts to sail again. With all I've read, we'd feel very safe when onboard and with the highly controlled excursions.

My biggest concern is the potential danger in flying to the embarkation port (and possible overnight before boarding) transfer to/from the ship and the return home. How concerned should we be about the safety protocols put in place by the airlines (booked by us, travel agents or cruise lines), the airports and others, where we have to transfer? I've read nothing about what the cruise lines are doing in regards to this. I believe this needs to be part of this overall discussion as to how we safely return to sea.

Cruise lines have a LOT more on their plates than being concerned about "safety" onboard commercial aircraft.

A recent little story you might want to read.

https://viewfromthewing.com/new-studies-reporting-covid-19-transmission-on-planes-are-good-news/

Finally....if you are expecting 100% "safe", there is no such thing.  There is potential "danger" in every endeavor, and that includes both medical and non-medical issues. 

Edited by FlyerTalker

I never mentioned anything about '100% "safe." ' I'm a former USAF pilot w/over 100 missions in SEA. I fully understand "danger"  & risks. The point I'm trying to make is if the cruise lines want to reassure us they've taken all the necessary precautions then they haven't if they haven't considered how we get To/From their ship. For many cruisers the airfare is included and unless you pay for Air Deviations you're likely to have multiple stops enroute. Yes, I can research many airlines, but it gets very murky when you try to research airports & heaven forbid if you miss a connection anywhere and spend a night or two in an unfamiliar city.

Flying presents a much lower transmission risk than cruising. Passenger aircraft have extremely good air circulation through high grade filters and everyone must wear masks throughout the journey. Airports have sufficient room for good social distancing given the relatively low passenger volumes.

Cruise lines have no way to control the safety of airports, aircraft, hotels, shuttles, taxis, restaurants or anything else a cruiser might encounter on their way to the ship. In each case, our safety is our responsibility. By that I mean it’s up to us to research each aspect of our trip and to choose the options that are best for us. I think that all travel will require much more thought and planning. For example, I might drive my own car to a larger airport where I can get a non stop flight to my destination eliminating the need for 2 flights and traveling thru a third airport. I might  book a first class ticket so there will be fewer pax around me and  I am  free to board whenever I want to avoid a crowded jet way. Yes, I will have to spend more to travel and devote more time thinking it all thru but that just might be our reality for the foreseeable future.

Edited by purduemom1
  • Like 2

I fly every other week, and have been since April...so pretty much throughout this whole thing. It's fairly safe, at least as safe as it can be. There's always a risk, but as mentioned above, air circulation is quite good despite the (incorrect) anecdotes to the contrary that have been going on for years. 

I wouldn't step foot on a cruise ship until at least 2022 most likely, but I have no problem with the fact that I have a flight tomorrow morning. So, we all have different levels of comfort for different things, but I wouldn't worry too much about the flight aspect.

20 hours ago, LesSails80435 said:

unless you pay for Air Deviations you're likely to have multiple stops enroute

I appreciate your concerns.  I have the same.  Opting for air deviations might be the best to consider even if it would add some cost to your cruise.  You will have the ability to choose your Class of service, the specific airline and flights, the routing, and the times for those flights.  I have used air deviations multiple times.  It takes a bit of time to do the researching online of what flights are available.  I have never been disappointed in my choices.

Because of my Mariner status with HAL, there is no extra cost for using air deviation.  Not knowing your loyalty status with any cruise line, you may find that there is little to no extra cost for using this service.  Just a suggestion.  

On 9/21/2020 at 7:31 PM, LesSails80435 said:

The point I'm trying to make is if the cruise lines want to reassure us they've taken all the necessary precautions then they haven't if they haven't considered how we get To/From their ship. For many cruisers the airfare is included and unless you pay for Air Deviations you're likely to have multiple stops enroute. Yes, I can research many airlines, but it gets very murky when you try to research airports & heaven forbid if you miss a connection anywhere and spend a night or two in an unfamiliar city.

So you are essentially asking the cruise lines to evaluate virtually every airline in the world, every airport in the world, and every hotel a passenger might possible end up in unexpectedly due to an unforeseen missed connection?  At some point, you just have to accept that "all necessary precautions" is only going to pertain to the ones over which the cruise line has direct control.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I expect that we will on an airplane months before we  even consider booking or  boarding a cruise ship.  

Our only concern about flying internationally is where we might change planes.  We are tentatively planning our next trip.  We plan to  avoid changing planes in the US or the UK even if it means an increased fare.

Edited by iancal

On 9/21/2020 at 5:23 PM, LesSails80435 said:

My wife and I have sailed more than 20 ocean and 3 European river cruises. We have had 3 cruises cancelled because of COVID, yet have 4 cruises booked for 2021 & 2022. We've been reading with great interest, the industry's safety protocols and efforts to sail again. With all I've read, we'd feel very safe when onboard and with the highly controlled excursions.

My biggest concern is the potential danger in flying to the embarkation port (and possible overnight before boarding) transfer to/from the ship and the return home. How concerned should we be about the safety protocols put in place by the airlines (booked by us, travel agents or cruise lines), the airports and others, where we have to transfer? I've read nothing about what the cruise lines are doing in regards to this. I believe this needs to be part of this overall discussion as to how we safely return to sea.

These are all separate choices you have to make.   None of the businesses have ANY impact on how the others operate.   

My solution,  is to wear a N95 medical mask and leaving it on.    I used this less than a month ago,  on a full,  6 hour flight,  in a middle seat,  exit row.     Even though I have full access to loads and can anticipate empty flights,  schedules are slim.   (only 2 flights per day out of the location I was leaving)