For those that think Carnival is going OOB....cruise lines are top S&P 500 movers

pc_load_letter

On 9/26/2020 at 11:56 AM, Roz said:

Why?  I venture a guess the majority of cruisers are middle income.  If fares double, cruising will no longer be a viable vacation open for a lot of people, only for the well off.  Is that what you're wanting/suggesting, that we go back to the days when cruising was the domain of the rich?

Reduce capacity means cruise lines must raise price and cut costs to achieve the same targeted breakeven point. The average cruisers can still cruise by cutting back on extras and downgrading their cabins to a lower category.

Edited by sfaaa
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Reduce capacity means cruise lines must raise price and cut costs to achieve the same targeted breakeven point. The average cruisers can still cruise by cutting back on extras and downgrading their cabins to a lower category.

Guess I'm SOL.  😥  I mostly book insides due to sailing solo.

Many of the loudest opinions on this site always seem to be clueless when it comes to how supply and demand drives pricing.  They always claim the lines will just double the fare in the future and carry on.  If they could've doubled the price then they would've done so last year because as a public entity their goal is to maximize profit.  There is a price point they try to balance, one that the consumer is willing to pay en masse for the experience yet still gives them a steady profit.

13 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

A lot of people feel that way, however, if cruise lines were US Flagged, very few could afford to cruise and the lines would be bankrupt anyway.

I made the comment to make the point that the cruise lines should not get any bailout money from a government they avoid paying taxes to.  If you structure your business to avoid paying taxes to a particular entity, when times get tough said entity should not be expected to bail you out.

• Like 1